DTS comp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DTS comp

Slosh
11-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Okay, so maybe comp isn't the right description; perhaps call it a DTS sampler, let's say. It's mostly BeAtles, Talking Heads, and Police songs with a few surprises thrown in. Encoded in FLAC (as always) but it's still quite a big file (675.54MB). Burn it as a regular audio CD (not a data CD) and it decodes just fine with any DTS equipment. I can even stream the raw FLAC files over wi-fi to my Roku SoundBridge and get the proper DTS decoding so if it doesn't work you're doing something wrong! :p

Tracklist? You'll just have to d/l it to find out :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?6nznnfmyzwd

edit: link should be good now

Jim Clark
11-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm counting on the surprise tracks to carry this thing :)

Thanks Slosh.

jc

Slosh
11-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm counting on the surprise tracks to carry this thing :)
Don't!

I got these songs from a friend who downloads them from several different bit-torrent sites. He also has several DVD-Audio downloads, all of which do in fact have the hi-rez MLP (aka Packed PCM) tracks. Most also have DTS tracks but I haven't figured out a way to transcode these to DTS CD. I thought I could simply demux them and then change the sample/bit-rate to 44.1/16 but it doesn't work (at least with the software I have). Too bad as many of them are far more interesting than classic rock. That being said I am hearing things in these 5.1 mixes that I've never noticed before in stereo (though people that put lead instruments/vocals in the surround channels just because they can shouldn't be allowed to do these mixes anymore!).

jrhymeammo
11-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I can't even get my PC to play them. Oh well. Erased.

BTW, Do you go by Missourimule by any chance?

Slosh
11-11-2006, 05:44 AM
I can't even get my PC to play them. Oh well. Erased.I can't play them on my PC either (well, I can actually, but all I hear is noise) but if I burn them as an audio CD-R they play fine through my pre/pro. I have the K-Lite decoder pack DVD player software for Windows Media Player and that plays DTS DVDs just fine but not DTS CD. I never encountered this with DTS home audio components. I guess the reason why I can play them from the HDD to my SoundBridge is the Firefly media server software converts FLAC to WAV before being streamed.

BTW, Do you go by Missourimule by any chance?Not from MO, and not a mule (although I did vote mostly for Democrats this time :) )

Jim Clark
11-11-2006, 06:04 AM
MIne plays just fine on the DVDP, where it should be played.

Can't actually tell you more than that right now as the 12 year old is already up and watching something in the only room with a 5.1 set up.

Looks to be a cool little dealio, thanks.

jc

jrhymeammo
11-11-2006, 07:41 AM
My crappy DVD player wont even play CD-R. Oh well.

Slosh
11-11-2006, 08:27 AM
My crappy DVD player wont even play CD-R. Oh well.According to your profile you don't have a home theater system (unless you just didn't list it) so I have to ask why would you even bother downloading this? FWIW your CD player and SACD player are certainly able to play CD-R and pass DTS through their digital outputs.

I'm mostly all about two channel too and buy much of my music on LP (and the occasional SACD) but 5.1 can be pretty cool as well, breathing new life into old music when done well (not that all of these songs are mixed with taste, though).

Jim Clark
11-11-2006, 08:49 AM
My crappy DVD player wont even play CD-R. Oh well.

Ouch, that sucks. Need to get yourself an Oppo. Wonderful piece of gear that far outperforms it's modest 199.00 price tag.

This is a pretty cool little comp, especially the Talking Heads tracks. Was especially mortified to learn that I actually liked the Sheryl Crow track. Thanks Slosh.

jc

jrhymeammo
11-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Ouch, that sucks. Need to get yourself an Oppo. Wonderful piece of gear that far outperforms it's modest 199.00 price tag.

jc

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

Wow, $149? That's the cheapest one I've seen so far that does it all.
Holy Crap.
I should look into that when I move into a much nicer place. But I'm not going to buy that thing just for Sheryl Crow. :ciappa:

Slosh
11-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Was especially mortified to learn that I actually liked the Sheryl Crow track.Yeah, that's the only song of her's that I actually like (that I've heard, anyway). Wonder who wrote it? :D FWIW that's a DTS ES Discrete track but I'm running a 5.1 system so have no idea what's strickly in the rear center channel track.

Jim Clark
11-11-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

Wow, $149? That's the cheapest one I've seen so far that does it all.
Holy Crap.
I should look into that when I move into a much nicer place. But I'm not going to buy that thing just for Sheryl Crow. :ciappa:

That ain't the one and I won't vouch for that thing.

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

This one however...

jc

jrhymeammo
11-13-2006, 08:17 AM
That ain't the one and I won't vouch for that thing.

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

This one however...

jc

Yeah I got those 2 mixed up. Why pay for a one that doesnt do SACD for $50 MORE.

noddin0ff
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm just amazed this all worked. Got 5.1 sound out! Kind of fun. Now if I ever get to sit still long enough to enjoy the mix...

Thanks again!

Jim Clark
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah I got those 2 mixed up. Why pay for a one that doesnt do SACD for $50 MORE.

Because one has outstanding upconverting DVD playback. Some of the best benchmark scores ever posted for a DVDP, the other one doesn't fare nearly as well. I have much more interest in DVD playback then I ever will for SACD or DVDA. I ain't gonna jump in on a new(er) format, especially ones that are never really going to make it mainstream.

jc

Slosh
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Are you guys using the m3u? Just curious. I threw it in there because with Nero that's all you need. No need to drag the files themselves into the burn list. Not only does it burn it in the proper intended sequence without having to rename track numbers or drag tracks around, but also writes the meta data as CD-Text (instead of the file name). The only point in encoding with FLAC for these DTS tracks is the meta data. DTS CD cannot be compressed (further).

NP: Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (DTS :) )

Jim Clark
11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Are you guys using the m3u? Just curious. I threw it in there because with Nero that's all you need. No need to drag the files themselves into the burn list. Not only does it burn it in the proper intended sequence without having to rename track numbers or drag tracks around, but also writes the meta data as CD-Text (instead of the file name). The only point in encoding with FLAC for these DTS tracks is the meta data. DTS CD cannot be compressed (further).

NP: Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (DTS :) )

Uh, nugetorial on the m3u. I know what it's function is, just not what on earth to do with it. I tried to open it with Nero but caused all sorts of havoc. You got it, I invented my own tracklist. sorry.

I'm up for an education though.

jc

Slosh
11-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Uh, nugetorial on the m3u. I know what it's function is, just not what on earth to do with it. I tried to open it with Nero but caused all sorts of havoc. You got it, I invented my own tracklist. sorry.

I'm up for an education though.

jcWell, I have Nero 6.6.1.4 with the Cole Decoder Pack plugin (FLAC, etc.). I open up Nero SmartStart, set it to all tracks gapless, and drag the .m3u in. That's it; no individual files to import, no need to sequence, no need to get track and artist names, works with all formats. I've made comps this way with WAV, WMAL, ALAC, and FLAC - all on the same mix. No conversion necessary. Couldn't be easier.