So, anyone else hear the new Shins cd? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, anyone else hear the new Shins cd?

Swish
11-09-2006, 05:09 AM
This is not what I expected and seems to be quite a departure from Chutes Too Narrow, but it's pretty darned good any way you slice it. They named it Wincing the Night Away, and the track list appears below. My early favorite is Phantom Limb, but that could change with some additional spins. All I know is, this one won't be far from my reach for the next month or so.

01 Sleeping Lessons
02 Australia
03 Pam Berry
04 Phantom Limb
05 Sea Legs
06 Red Rabbits
07 Turn on Me
08 Black Wave
09 Spilt Needles
10 Girl Sailor
11 A Comet Appears

Swish

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2006, 05:34 AM
This disk has a release date of January 23. How did you get it earlier?

And more importantly....do you still have my address (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)? :smilewinkgrin:

Swish
11-09-2006, 06:24 AM
This disk has a release date of January 23. How did you get it earlier?

And more importantly....do you still have my address (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)? :smilewinkgrin:

And yes, I have your address. Nuf said?

Swish

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2006, 07:44 AM
You're Swishalicious!!!

Swish
11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
You're Swishalicious!!!

You have some serious issues Fall Girl.

Swish

Slosh
11-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Someone at Obner had it uploaded and I requested it but never heard back (bastard!). I found it elsewhere but it's a 128 kb/s rip and am not gonna bother with such piss-poor quality. I'll end up buying it either way but still it would be nice to get an early preview.

I'm putting together a half-assed classic rock comp . . . . . all in 5.1 DTS and maybe I'll upload it later tonight . . . .

Swish
11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Someone at Obner had it uploaded and I requested it but never heard back (bastard!). I found it elsewhere but it's a 128 kb/s rip and am not gonna bother with such piss-poor quality. I'll end up buying it either way but still it would be nice to get an early preview.

I'm putting together a half-assed classic rock comp . . . . . all in 5.1 DTS and maybe I'll upload it later tonight . . . .

...so you didn't need to respond as you were getting one anyway. Ditto for the goof in Toronto and the other goof out on the Left Coast. I think he'd also like to hear the new Paula Jean release, The Peel Sessions. What do you think?

Swish

Slosh
11-09-2006, 02:22 PM
What do you think?
I don't. It hurts my head too much :D
Uh, thanks but don't go through any trouble. I'm gonna buy it anyway when it's available on vinyl 'cause I got it like that (whatever that means :confused: )

Jim Clark
11-09-2006, 04:39 PM
...so you didn't need to respond as you were getting one anyway. Ditto for the goof in Toronto and the other goof out on the Left Coast. I think he'd also like to hear the new Paula Jean release, The Peel Sessions. What do you think?

Swish

What about the goof right in between?

I'll fix you up with some thing real nice.

jc

Swish
11-09-2006, 04:45 PM
What about the goof right in between?

I'll fix you up with some thing real nice.

jc

No sweat Jimbo.

Swish

Jim Clark
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Only want to hear the good ones!

jc

audiobill
11-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Swish

I hope I'm the good off you're referring to in Toronto.

If not, there's two goofs who'd appreciate a listen.

Been awhile,

Bill

Swish
11-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I hope I'm the good off you're referring to in Toronto.

If not, there's two goofs who'd appreciate a listen.

Been awhile,

Bill

...or something? Oh, you meant "goof". :cornut: No, I didn't mean you, I was referring to Fall Girl, but I just put you on the mailing list. You didn't even have to ask. I guess you're busy now that you have to work again. I'd love a job with summers off! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards,
Swish

Jim Clark
11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Swish - this disc rules. I'm upgrading the phono preamp in my main system today and I was gonna listen to vinyl. You've made it tough. Haven't tried the Peel Sessions yet, it's gonna have to wait. I wasn't the biggest fan of "Chutes" which called into question even my minimal indie cred but this is a different animal. I love it. That could spell disaster for this record.

Can you tell anything of the lineage of this sucker? If not, it's cool. I'm going to look forward to the official release and then snag a shiny black copy if it's available.

Thanks a million. I'll PM you with a question or two, assuming of course that you now have room in the inbox.

jc

Swish
11-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Swish - this disc rules. I'm upgrading the phono preamp in my main system today and I was gonna listen to vinyl. You've made it tough. Haven't tried the Peel Sessions yet, it's gonna have to wait. I wasn't the biggest fan of "Chutes" which called into question even my minimal indie cred but this is a different animal. I love it. That could spell disaster for this record.

Can you tell anything of the lineage of this sucker? If not, it's cool. I'm going to look forward to the official release and then snag a shiny black copy if it's available.

Thanks a million. I'll PM you with a question or two, assuming of course that you now have room in the inbox.

jc
... but it will be there first "major label" release. I'm just too busy to delve into all the details of music. Heck, I can barely remember names of tracks on cds since I'm usually listening in my car or not looking at the track list. All I want is a shady lane (sigh).

Swish

Slosh
11-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm going to look forward to the official release and then snag a shiny black copy if it's available.
I have Chutes Too Narrow on vinyl, although it's not shiny nor black (translucent red). It does indeed sound better than the CD (that guy with 10 toze didn't want his copy so I snagged it up real quick like) but I suspect it would sound better if it was plain ol' black vinyl.

Swish, I'm guessing by lineage JC means what format it was in before it ended up on CD-R, but you probably figured that out already.

NP: Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

tentoze
11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I have Chutes Too Narrow on vinyl, although it's not shiny nor black (translucent red). It does indeed sound better than the CD (that guy with 10 toze didn't want his copy so I snagged it up real quick like) but I suspect it would sound better if it was plain ol' black vinyl.

I can't imagine it sounding any worse, amigo.

Davey
11-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Swish, I'm guessing by lineage JC means what format it was in before it ended up on CD-R, but you probably figured that out already.
I think it's from 256k mp3. Definitely not CD quality, but not bad sounding. Kind of soft and rolled off. Just pulled a track into Audacity and it has the telltale spectrum of 256k mp3. It is a nice mastering job, with low average levels and peaks free to roam up to max. Can't imagine a big label putting out this "quiet" a CD these days, but here's holding out hope that someone with half a brain is still in the loop. The CD could be a great sounding one if they really master(ed) it like this.

Starting to like this one a lot, but I'm with Slosh Baby, rather hold out for the full rez version before spending tons of time with it.

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I received my copy of this weeks after everyone else. Not sure why it took so dang long to cross the border. :confused5:

I wasn't too sure about this disk at first. It's definately not as charming as Chutes. But it's starting to grow on me. I give this band credit for trying to branch out into some different sounds. There's still some elements of Chutes in there, but there's also some stuff that if I didn't know who it was and had to guess, I wouldn't guess The Shins. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Swish
12-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I received my copy of this weeks after everyone else. Not sure why it took so dang long to cross the border. :confused5:

I wasn't too sure about this disk at first. It's definately not as charming as Chutes. But it's starting to grow on me. I give this band credit for trying to branch out into some different sounds. There's still some elements of Chutes in there, but there's also some stuff that if I didn't know who it was and had to guess, I wouldn't guess The Shins. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

...I just got another version with a much higher bit rate and it sounds loads better than the version that I supplied to some of you. Anyway, the real deal will be out soon, so I guess you'll just have to buy it when it's available. I know I will.

Swish