FM tuner problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FM tuner problem

pkats
11-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Hello everyone, looking for advice about my Adcom GTP-500 II tuner/preamp. Been having problems with the FM stations going out after awhile of listening. It seems the problem got progressively worse until yesterday - now I can't get an FM station at all. I don't listen to radio much so it hasn't been a huge deal but I think I would like to get it fixed. The AM reception is fine by the way. I am going to look for a repair shop near me but would appreciate any comments.

Questions:
Any technically inclined people out there have an idea of what the problem could be?
Any estimate on repair $?
Is this unit even worth spending the money on or should I consider just replacing it?
Any recommendations for quality repair shops in the Chicago area?

Thanks alot, been reading every thread possible and learning a great deal.

markw
11-07-2006, 12:18 PM
That's a nice little tuner/preamp. Once you find a good tech (you may want to open your search up to other areas and ship it if needed), I'd definitely get an estimate. You never know.

http://www.stereorepair.net/adcom.htm

Feanor
11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Hello everyone, looking for advice about my Adcom GTP-500 II tuner/preamp. Been having problems with the FM stations going out after awhile of listening. It seems the problem got progressively worse until yesterday - now I can't get an FM station at all. I don't listen to radio much so it hasn't been a huge deal but I think I would like to get it fixed. The AM reception is fine by the way. I am going to look for a repair shop near me but would appreciate any comments.

Questions:
Any technically inclined people out there have an idea of what the problem could be?
Any estimate on repair $?
Is this unit even worth spending the money on or should I consider just replacing it?
Any recommendations for quality repair shops in the Chicago area?

Thanks alot, been reading every thread possible and learning a great deal.

Check out eBay for used Adcom tuner/preamps; they are pretty common and fairly cheap. It might be cheaper to buy a "new" one versus a repair.

As for a repair, check out Adcom's website and/or call them. They might provide factory repairs.

skyfrog
10-29-2013, 07:19 AM
hello everyone. i will post an answer to a question from another member
thanks

skyfrog
10-29-2013, 07:23 AM
hey man, i have exactly the same problem. let me know if you find an answer
thanks

Imran520
11-24-2013, 11:11 PM
I am always picking up recycled electronic and fixing them up. This week I found a RCA Stereo System. Great Find. I Got it all working only I am worried about the FM Receiver. First of all, there is a light that comes on on the screen and tells you when you are receiving a Stereo FM Signal. Most of you probably knew that. Well, I have a hard time getting good radio signals sometimes in my room but usually I can get a bearable signal. I was testing out the FM Radio (http://www.fmradios.pk/) and I noticed that the sound comes through the speakers louder and clearer when I am getting a Stereo Signal (Which only makes sense). I have never gotten good signals in my room so I am not able to get a constant stereo signal. When I turn the stereo on and its just getting a plain old FM Signal (no ST), it starts out playing loud just like when I get a ST Signal. But after about a minute, it goes quiet and you have to turn up the volume to here it. is there a problem with it or I am i doing something wrong?