Does such a thing exist? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does such a thing exist?

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello,

Not sure if this is posted in the right section; if its not, let me know. I was wondering if there is anyway to mute, or severely diminish the sports announcers during sporting events, especially football, so that you only hear the audio of the crowd/game.

I have a surround system, all Sony, Sony receiver 6.1, but I never messed around with it to try it.

Does such an item, like an equalizer, exist that can if not mute, at least take the feed from the announcers and make it very low? If so, can you post the names of such products?

Tarheel_
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
not sure if this can be done....i'd try to turn down the center channels' level as far as possible and increase the speaker levels in the remaining speakers.

When attacking this problem (read Joe Theisman), i just play a CD or listen to the radio while watching the game.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
not sure if this can be done....i'd try to turn down the center channels' level as far as possible and increase the speaker levels in the remaining speakers.

When attacking this problem (read Joe Theisman), i just play a CD or listen to the radio while watching the game.

Joe IS a pain. But it's not limited to him. Over the years it seems like it's become a contest for who can be the biggest jerk. "They should run here." "If they do anything else besides running it up the middle here they are fools." 'BAM! They ran it? What were they thinking?" "I knew they should have thrown it."

Put me down for two of those things when they come out.

Many years ago, one of the networks tried an experiment. A game with NO announcers. That's right, no one to call the game. But they didn't put the relevant information where you could see it. What down is it? How far for a first? Did he score? Was he in? What's the score anyhow? Who's winning?

Dusty Chalk
11-07-2006, 11:20 AM
I know this is avoiding the question, but your best bet is to just listen to something else.

Can I ask why you would still want to listen to everything else except the announcer? Let me clarify my question -- I understand why you don't want to listen to the announcer, the part I don't understand is that you still want to listen to the rest of the audio feed.

To my knowledge, such a thing does not yet exist.

I'm sure they're working on it, though.

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I know this is avoiding the question, but your best bet is to just listen to something else.

Can I ask why you would still want to listen to everything else except the announcer? Let me clarify my question -- I understand why you don't want to listen to the announcer, the part I don't understand is that you still want to listen to the rest of the audio feed.

To my knowledge, such a thing does not yet exist.

I'm sure they're working on it, though.

Why? Well, with my HD and 6.1 surround and 56" television, I actually feel lke i'm at the game.... except for the idiots talking all the time. So, on big plays, like 3rd and 6 with 1:05 to go on the 40yard line, I would like to mute them and hear the crowd go nuts when the play is made...

Perhaps if you don't understand, you should be watching the Food Network?

GMichael
11-07-2006, 11:42 AM

POW! ZING! And it's going.... going.... IT'S GONE! Yes ladies and gentlemen, the rookie has knocked his first pitch out of the stadium. And... the... crowd... goes.... in......to...... a....... coma. :sleep:

basite
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
*goes to a game* *shoots the joe theisman guy* *flies back home* *listens to some great music*

Better now??
such a thing does not yet exists,
2 simple reasons,
1) some people are stupid and/or blind (no offense to those people) and need such a guy too understand the game, by most of the other people, this information will be badd and just a pain in the ass,

2) someone has to do the job, even if you know you will only be hated by other people

indeed try to mute your center channel, or unplug it and say you have one...

hope this helps.

Greetings,
Basite

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
*goes to a game* *shoots the joe theisman guy* *flies back home* *listens to some great music*

Better now??
such a thing does not yet exists,
2 simple reasons,
1) some people are stupid and/or blind (no offense to those people) and need such a guy too understand the game, by most of the other people, this information will be badd and just a pain in the ass,

2) someone has to do the job, even if you know you will only be hated by other people
indeed try to mute your center channel, or unplug it and say you have one...

hope this helps.

Greetings,
Basite

Thanks, I'll try messing with the Center Channel and let you know.

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 11:57 AM

What a boob. Are you trying to be funny?

Lack of understanding?! You're the one looking for a magic box. You're the one who couldn't be bothered to "mess around" with your surround system before coming here. Show a little graciousness when you come into a new sandbox.

basite
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
since i don't watch any sports on tv, and certainly not our football, (which is different and even more boring then the american version, and besides that there is tennis, which is boring to watch too) i actually don't watch alot of tv, and when i do watch tv, the only thing that really annoys me are: the commercials,
now here we have 2 national channels (which can't do commercials) and all the rest of the belgian channels are commercial, which means they can do commercials, and it looks that they are addicted to it, when i watch prison break (like the only programme i try to follow) and 4 minutes after it started, they will give you 7 minutes of dry, dubbed commercials for washing and cleaning products (you'll probably seen them alot too) after that, they will start attacking you with a 7 minute commercial block every 15 minutes right in your face, OMG, people with alzheimer will actually forget what happened in the 15 minutes before the commercials,
i mean, where are we going, if you want commercials, get a special channel for it, so we don't have to watch it.

ha, that felt good.

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
What a boob. Are you trying to be funny?

Lack of understanding?! You're the one looking for a magic box. You're the one who couldn't be bothered to "mess around" with your surround system before coming here. Show a little graciousness when you come into a new sandbox.

Magic box? I'm looking for the latest on audio information. Are these forums not the place? Let me know now and I'll elsewhere....

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Oooooo.... you showed me! Touche! Your superior skills have embarrassed me in front of my friends and peers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette Perhaps a refresher is due.

Dusty Chalk
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Perhaps if you don't understand, you should be watching the Food Network?I lollered!

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Oooooo.... you showed me! Touche! Your superior skills have embarrassed me in front of my friends and peers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette Perhaps a refresher is due.

What's your problem man? I asked for help from you people, and you question WHY I am asking for help. Next time I'll tell you to mind your own f*cking business and just answer my goddamn question. No wonder hits to this site are low... rude and rude.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
What's your problem man? I asked for help from you people, and you question WHY I am asking for help. Next time I'll tell you to mind your own f*cking business and just answer my goddamn question. No wonder hits to this site are low... rude and rude.

Pot, meet kettle.

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
You know what? If the internet is a superhighway, this is a Goddamn speed bump filled dead end.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 12:51 PM
You know what? If the internet is a superhighway, this is a Goddamn speed bump filled dead end.

What a nice guy. Come on in. Would you like some coffee?

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
What a nice guy. Come on in. Would you like some coffee?

No, what I would like is some goddamn respect. I didn't start this pissing match, some wise ass geek who sits on this board all day and doesn't understand the rush of a football game crowd did.

I am going to mess with the Center Channel and report back.

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
What's your problem man? I asked for help from you people, and you question WHY I am asking for help.

This is actually a good point, but with a good response. The reason we often ask "Why?" is because people often are asking the wrong question. By finding out what their goals are we can often stear them in a direction their original question did not anticipate. i.e. "I want a 1000 watt amp." "Why?" "To make my system louder." "Then you don't want a 1000 watt amp, you want 100db sensitivity spekers." So... you know... umm, bite me.

Next time I'll tell you to mind your own f*cking business and just answer my goddamn question.

Yeah, because that will work so much better. Your narcissism shines through. "FU, but answer MY question." Okay, buddy.

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I didn't start this pissing match, some wise ass geek who sits on this board all day and doesn't understand the rush of a football game crowd did.

Manly, like a lumberjack, he is.

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
This is actually a good point, but with a good response. The reason we often ask "Why?" is because people often are asking the wrong question. By finding out what their goals are we can often stear them in a direction their original question did not anticipate. i.e. "I want a 1000 watt amp." "Why?" "To make my system louder." "Then you don't want a 1000 watt amp, you want 100db sensitivity spekers." So... you know... umm, bite me.

Yeah, because that will work so much better. Your narcissism shines through. "FU, but answer MY question." Okay, buddy.

This was the response I got:

Well, if this doesn't scream "Why the F would you want to do that man? John Madden is king... I'd let him teabag me anytime". This comment has nothing with trying to steer me in the right direction - mocking at best, rude at worse.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
No, what I would like is some goddamn respect. I didn't start this pissing match, some wise ass geek who sits on this board all day and doesn't understand the rush of a football game crowd did.

I am going to mess with the Center Channel and report back.

Maybe you should go back and re-read his response. He was polite and tried to help you. All he said was that he didn't understand why, and asked for a clarification. You are the one who jumped on him with a wise-ars remark. You did, in fact, start the pissing. Go read it again.
Then come back and be nice. We'd love to have you around.

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
I will be back after I try the Center channel approach.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I will be back after I try the Center channel approach.

Have you got a game recorded to try it on? Hope it works.
I have acouple of games on the DVR but have plans for tonight. UPS says they dropped off my new sub today. Oh the joy!

Repoman75
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Have you got a game recorded to try it on? Hope it works.
I have acouple of games on the DVR but have plans for tonight. UPS says they dropped off my new sub today. Oh the joy!

There has to be a game, any game on one of the many ESPNs, Comcast Sports, and FS channels I get.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
There has to be a game, any game on one of the many ESPNs, Comcast Sports, and FS channels I get.

OK, 20 minutes have past. Not to be a pest, but what's the result? Inquiring minds need to know. Does it help?

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Well, if this doesn't scream "Why the F would you want to do that man? John Madden is king... I'd let him teabag me anytime". This comment has nothing with trying to steer me in the right direction - mocking at best, rude at worse.

Okay, I stand corrected. It's not narcissism, but paranoid narcissism. I'll make a note.

L.J.
11-07-2006, 01:56 PM
UPS says they dropped off my new sub today. Oh the joy!

:incazzato:.................................:arf:

GMichael
11-07-2006, 02:01 PM
:incazzato:.................................:arf:

I keep checking and checking every day. But still no review for the pounding 10 incher. :confused5:

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
the pounding 10 incher. :confused5:

He he hee, lol. That's dirty.

GMichael
11-07-2006, 02:17 PM
He he hee, lol. That's dirty.

He's got the 10" version of the 15" sub kit that's waiting on my doorstep right now. Geesh, get your mind out of my gutter. There isn't enough room in here for both of us.:ihih:

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Is that the 15" Titanic? I've been eyeballing that. An Axiom and Velodyne have been on my list, but at $1800 and $1200, the Titanic has been looking good at half the price. But honestly, the Axiom and Velodyne are prettier. I know, I know looks shouldn't matter, but were talkin' cherry veneer here.

SlumpBuster
11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Nevermind. Just saw your post in DIY. Will look for the followup.

L.J.
11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Is that the 15" Titanic? I've been eyeballing that. An Axiom and Velodyne have been on my list, but at $1800 and $1200, the Titanic has been looking good at half the price. But honestly, the Axiom and Velodyne are prettier. I know, I know looks shouldn't matter, but were talkin' cherry veneer here.

I've been thinking 'bout pulling the trig also. The 10" in my bedroom hits hard and bass is very clean and precise. I've been thinking 'bout that 15 for awhile. Yeah, they are pretty ugly. I think looks are important but value is a higher priority on my list.

Groundbeef
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I've been thinking 'bout pulling the trig also. The 10" in my bedroom hits hard and bass is very clean and precise. I've been thinking 'bout that 15 for awhile. Yeah, they are pretty ugly. I think looks are important but value is a higher priority on my list.

I have a pair of Marantz Speakers that have 15" cones, and run at 150 watts. Do they count?

Woochifer
11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I remember about 20 or so years ago, some magazines (either Popular Science or Stereo Review or Motor Trend) used to advertise a device that eliminated (or significantly reduced) the vocals on music while including a microphone input so that you could overlay your own vocals on top of your favorite songs. It was usually in the classifieds alongside the devices that "eliminate" pops and clicks on LPs. You might want to head over to your local library and look up some old Stereo Review issues and see if you can find the name of that device.

I have no idea if the thing even works, but it would seem to fit the bill for what you're looking for.

paul_pci
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Boy we're really batting a thousand here. First we're elitist jerks, then useless, and now we don't show respect. I think we need to be spanked for our bad behavior.

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 05:41 AM
OK, 20 minutes have past. Not to be a pest, but what's the result? Inquiring minds need to know. Does it help?

Nope, didn't quite work.. lowered it a little bit, but the talking heads still came out the front left and right.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to invent something and pitch my idea to cable and satellite companies. Might as well get rich of this idea.

GMichael
11-08-2006, 05:52 AM

I would guess that if you really wanted to, you could sand it down and refinish it anyway you like.

GMichael
11-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Nope, didn't quite work.. lowered it a little bit, but the talking heads still came out the front left and right.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to invent something and pitch my idea to cable and satellite companies. Might as well get rich of this idea.

The anti-jerk-talker-illiminator? Sounds good. Put me down for two when it hits production.
Sucked that it didn't work.

GMichael
11-08-2006, 06:03 AM
I remember about 20 or so years ago, some magazines (either Popular Science or Stereo Review or Motor Trend) used to advertise a device that eliminated (or significantly reduced) the vocals on music while including a microphone input so that you could overlay your own vocals on top of your favorite songs. It was usually in the classifieds alongside the devices that "eliminate" pops and clicks on LPs. You might want to head over to your local library and look up some old Stereo Review issues and see if you can find the name of that device.

I have no idea if the thing even works, but it would seem to fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Leave it to you to have actually heard of something that does this. Is there anything that you don't know?

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2006, 06:14 AM

Well, if this doesn't scream "Why the F would you want to do that man? John Madden is king... I'd let him teabag me anytime". This comment has nothing with trying to steer me in the right direction - mocking at best, rude at worse.You definitely misunderstood my comment -- the first part of the clarification is exactly the opposite of how you just interpreted it. You actually nailed it with your initial jesting response -- I don't watch football, and just plain didn't understand. That said, my prediction that it didn't exist comes from knowledge of DSP -- I sincerely don't believe it exists, and that it is being worked on. I think the closest you can get is one of those vocal removers that remove lead vocals from music for the purposes of learning songs and karaoke. I forget whether or not they're software (which does you no good unless you figure out a way to put your computer between your prepro and your amp) or standalone units.

I took your jesting response in the spirit with which it was delivered -- as a jest. It was several other people who jumped on you for the response -- which, admittedly, was out of line.

So -- to everyone else -- leave him alone, it was a joke, I wasn't offended.

To you -- try not to play pissing matches. Sudden gusts of wind are unpredictable. And I think that's what happened here. Several people didn't take your jest well, you didn't take their responses well, and it all just snowballed.

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 07:44 AM
You definitely misunderstood my comment -- the first part of the clarification is exactly the opposite of how you just interpreted it. You actually nailed it with your initial jesting response -- I don't watch football, and just plain didn't understand. That said, my prediction that it didn't exist comes from knowledge of DSP -- I sincerely don't believe it exists, and that it is being worked on. I think the closest you can get is one of those vocal removers that remove lead vocals from music for the purposes of learning songs and karaoke. I forget whether or not they're software (which does you no good unless you figure out a way to put your computer between your prepro and your amp) or standalone units.

I took your jesting response in the spirit with which it was delivered -- as a jest. It was several other people who jumped on you for the response -- which, admittedly, was out of line.

So -- to everyone else -- leave him alone, it was a joke, I wasn't offended.

To you -- try not to play pissing matches. Sudden gusts of wind are unpredictable. And I think that's what happened here. Several people didn't take your jest well, you didn't take their responses well, and it all just snowballed.

Well said chap. Some of these barbarians need civic lessons.

Do you know of any stand alone vocal removers?

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Well, the ironic thing is, so do I.

And -- not offhand, but if I figure out what to search for, I'll post again. I'm almost positive they exist. I want to say, Musician's Friend is where I saw the link, but an initial brief search yielded nothing. Perhaps pop in to your local Guitar Center and see if a salesman knows what I'm talking about?

GMichael
11-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Well said chap. Some of these barbarians need civic lessons.

Do you know of any stand alone vocal removers?

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2006, 08:01 AM
You want something like this (http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Alesis/PR/PlayMate-Vocalist.html) or this (http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Alesis/PR/Vocal-Zapper.html) or this (http://www.vocaleliminator.com/) or this (http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/SNAMM99/Reed_Kotler/LBR-100.html).

Anyway, just search on "vocal remover" or "vocal eliminator".

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 08:18 AM
You want something like this (http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Alesis/PR/PlayMate-Vocalist.html) or this (http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Alesis/PR/Vocal-Zapper.html) or this (http://www.vocaleliminator.com/) or this (http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/SNAMM99/Reed_Kotler/LBR-100.html).

Anyway, just search on "vocal remover" or "vocal eliminator".

I found this, and talked to the Customer service via chat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-Vocal-Zapper?sku=246026

The CSR said this is exactly what I want, and would remove 90% of vocals. All you have to do is run RCA cables from the source in, and to the receiver out.

So, what do you think? If I have a Sony 6.1 receiver (not sure what model), and I get my audio feeds from my Directv HD box, it should work right? Even though I connect the box to my receiver via digital cables, I could try RCA for this...

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah, that should work, and the way you describe. I would bypass it on the surround channels, but I don't know what you'd do for the center channel, perhaps just leave it unplugged.

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah, that should work, and the way you describe. I would bypass it on the surround channels, but I don't know what you'd do for the center channel, perhaps just leave it unplugged.

Well, wouldn't I just plug it into the back of receiver, say the AUX line, and it should then feed the "voiceless" audio to all speakers, no?

jrhymeammo
11-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I think that would be impossible. Not matter what you do you will still hear small traces of announcers voice in other channels. I'm not so sure of that product you mentioned, but there was this product back in a day that promised to eliminate pops and clicks on LP playback. All it did was muted around those frequency. In that process alot of music material was was eliminated also.

I would just do what Dusty suggested, unplug your center channel when you are using one of your DSP modes. If you dont have Banana plugs to your center speaker, that would be the most convinient way.

-JRA

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 09:27 AM
I think that would be impossible. Not matter what you do you will still hear small traces of announcers voice in other channels. I'm not so sure of that product you mentioned, but there was this product back in a day that promised to eliminate pops and clicks on LP playback. All it did was muted around those frequency. In that process alot of music material was was eliminated also.

I would just do what Dusty suggested, unplug your center channel when you are using one of your DSP modes. If you dont have Banana plugs to your center speaker, that would be the best way.

-JRA

I told you, it didn't work. And I'm not worried about losing some of the other sound, since its just stadium noise anyways.

jrhymeammo
11-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Then stop wasting your time. Go get a 2nd job so you can get a ticket for games every weekend.

GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Then stop wasting your time. Go get a 2nd job so you can get a ticket for games every weekend.

GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy.. barbarians at the gate again.

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, wouldn't I just plug it into the back of receiver, say the AUX line, and it should then feed the "voiceless" audio to all speakers, no?I'm assuming you have 6 (5.1) analog outs from your DirecTV box. What I'm saying is, this thing is stereo. What I would do is, run the front left and right through the Alesis Vocal Zapper, leave the (front) center unplugged, then run all the surround channels to the corresponding analog input of your analog multichannel input.

But, yeah, for starters, you could just run it in stereo.

EDIT: This thread is veritable roller-coaster ride of civility. Wheee!!!1!

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm assuming you have 6 (5.1) analog outs from your DirecTV box. What I'm saying is, this thing is stereo. What I would do is, run the front left and right through the Alesis Vocal Zapper, leave the (front) center unplugged, then run all the surround channels to the corresponding analog input of your analog multichannel input.

But, yeah, for starters, you could just run it in stereo.

EDIT: This thread is veritable roller-coaster ride of civility. Wheee!!!1!

No, I have 6.1... I was going to get a 7.1, but since most DVD's and TV programs barely program for 6.1, 7.1 may never become a reality.

I don't think you can run individual speaker into the zapper... it only has 1 RCA input, 1 RCA output... no connections for speaker wires (the loose ends, not RCA's)

Dusty Chalk
11-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Actually, according to the manual (http://www.alesis.com/downloads/manuals/vocalzapper_Manual.pdf), it looks to be stereo.

You may need a RCA-(mono)1/4" adapter or two.

Still, for starters, you can do stereo and use the aux in, yes. Later on you can try the surround channels if you want.

Repoman75
11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Actually, according to the manual (http://www.alesis.com/downloads/manuals/vocalzapper_Manual.pdf), it looks to be stereo.

You may need a RCA-(mono)1/4" adapter or two.

Still, for starters, you can do stereo and use the aux in, yes. Later on you can try the surround channels if you want.

Well sir, you've gone from being a wise ass to a "smart ass"... jolly good show!

I think I will order it and try it. I will report back in a few weeks and let you know the outcome.

To the rest of you, get a life.

Groundbeef
11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
I have a different thought for your problem. Do you get HD programming over the air? Are you watching these games in HD? The reason that I ask, is this. I live in the Midwest, and get my HD over the air. I noticed after getting it all set up that I was experiencing EXACTLY what you want. The game was on, but NO audio except what was occuring live in the game. No TV announcers, nothing. As it was Sunday, I couldn't contact the FOX station.

On Monday, I contacted FOX and talked to the engineer. (Small town has its benefits). After some discussion, he asked what channel I was watching. I turned on the TV, and walked through the menu with him. It appears that I had the TV set to XX-2 (XX is the channel #). He said, OH, set it to XX-1. So I did, and magically the audio was there on the next game. For some reason, and it may just be here in my area, but the XX-2 channel doesn't carry the national audio feed, just the feed from game. Its still in HD, but NO extra audio.

I'm no techie, and have no idea why it is done this way, but this may be your answer. Check out what HD signals you get, maybe you will have one that doesn't carry the audio of the TV talking heads.

Good luck!

jrhymeammo
11-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh boy.. barbarians at the gate again.

Next time I'll tell you to mind your own f*cking business and just answer my goddamn question.

this is a Goddamn speed bump filled dead end.

No, what I would like is some goddamn respect.

......................Sigh

audio_dude
11-08-2006, 04:11 PM
WOW... ROFL ROFL ROFL

that was a HILAROUS to read, oh well, Repoman75, welcome to the forum!

lolzors, now that we've gotten off on the wrong foot, do ya want to come in a have a beer??

GMichael
11-09-2006, 06:05 AM
To the rest of you, get a life.

Now now, was I really that bad?

Repoman75
11-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I have a different thought for your problem. Do you get HD programming over the air? Are you watching these games in HD? The reason that I ask, is this. I live in the Midwest, and get my HD over the air. I noticed after getting it all set up that I was experiencing EXACTLY what you want. The game was on, but NO audio except what was occuring live in the game. No TV announcers, nothing. As it was Sunday, I couldn't contact the FOX station.

On Monday, I contacted FOX and talked to the engineer. (Small town has its benefits). After some discussion, he asked what channel I was watching. I turned on the TV, and walked through the menu with him. It appears that I had the TV set to XX-2 (XX is the channel #). He said, OH, set it to XX-1. So I did, and magically the audio was there on the next game. For some reason, and it may just be here in my area, but the XX-2 channel doesn't carry the national audio feed, just the feed from game. Its still in HD, but NO extra audio.

I'm no techie, and have no idea why it is done this way, but this may be your answer. Check out what HD signals you get, maybe you will have one that doesn't carry the audio of the TV talking heads.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, all my HD comes through the satellite... no offair antennae needed.

Groundbeef
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately, all my HD comes through the satellite... no offair antennae needed.

However, in this case, you may find the answer to your need. You can pick up a inexpensive antenna and try it out. Maybe it wil work for you. Good luck!

Repoman75
11-09-2006, 10:32 AM
However, in this case, you may find the answer to your need. You can pick up a inexpensive antenna and try it out. Maybe it wil work for you. Good luck!

Do I order these from Directv? Do they offer them? How much to hook them up? Give me some details.

Groundbeef
11-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Do I order these from Directv? Do they offer them? How much to hook them up? Give me some details.

I have DirectTV as well, but as a smaller market, I don't get HD for local channels except for OTA (over the air). If you look on the back of your HD receiver there should be a cable plug labeled Off air antenna or something like that.

Any OTA antenna will do. Don't be fooled by the "Ready For HD" label or such nonsense on antennas. An antenna for TV is HD ready, as they are just signals in the air. Anyway, you can get them for pretty cheap. (some less than $50). For your case, I would go to BB or RadioShack. I have mine mounted on the roof, and it's just a simple wing about 4" across and flat, very low profile.

If you are in an urban environment (ie big city) you MIGHT be able to get the signal in your house. In that case, they do sell (BB) a "in home" antenna. They are smaller, and not as noticable if you have them say on top of your TV cabinet.

Run the cable from the antenna to the receiver, and then go to the menu section. Go to setup and look for "off air" reception or something like that. Then scan for channels. You should get a list of all avail Off air channels (both analog, and HD digital) Digital usually have the channel XX and then a -1 or -2 depending on how many broadcasts you are getting for that station.

Then, just "add" the channels that you want to get. I would set up a seperate profile or channel list for now, so you only have to screw around with a few channels and not 100+

Good luck!

BTW this sounds really complicated and difficult. Its not. After you get cables hooked up, takes about 10 min to scan and set up.

Also, I would try the inhouse antenna first. Then you don't have to monkey on the roof. If you don't get good reception, try out side. You will know if you get reception, because you will either get the transmission, or you won't. HD doesn't come in fuzzy, its either all or nothing.

Repoman75
11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I have DirectTV as well, but as a smaller market, I don't get HD for local channels except for OTA (over the air). If you look on the back of your HD receiver there should be a cable plug labeled Off air antenna or something like that.

Any OTA antenna will do. Don't be fooled by the "Ready For HD" label or such nonsense on antennas. An antenna for TV is HD ready, as they are just signals in the air. Anyway, you can get them for pretty cheap. (some less than $50). For your case, I would go to BB or RadioShack. I have mine mounted on the roof, and it's just a simple wing about 4" across and flat, very low profile.

If you are in an urban environment (ie big city) you MIGHT be able to get the signal in your house. In that case, they do sell (BB) a "in home" antenna. They are smaller, and not as noticable if you have them say on top of your TV cabinet.

Run the cable from the antenna to the receiver, and then go to the menu section. Go to setup and look for "off air" reception or something like that. Then scan for channels. You should get a list of all avail Off air channels (both analog, and HD digital) Digital usually have the channel XX and then a -1 or -2 depending on how many broadcasts you are getting for that station.

Then, just "add" the channels that you want to get. I would set up a seperate profile or channel list for now, so you only have to screw around with a few channels and not 100+

Good luck!

BTW this sounds really complicated and difficult. Its not. After you get cables hooked up, takes about 10 min to scan and set up.

Also, I would try the inhouse antenna first. Then you don't have to monkey on the roof. If you don't get good reception, try out side. You will know if you get reception, because you will either get the transmission, or you won't. HD doesn't come in fuzzy, its either all or nothing.

Thanks, maybe I'll try that. sounds easy enough. And no extra charge from Directv?

Groundbeef
11-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks, maybe I'll try that. sounds easy enough. And no extra charge from Directv?

No, I'm not sure how they could, as the OTA is free to anyone. DirectTV gets their money when you buy the HD reciever. They WILL charge you if you call them to come out and set it up for you. Good luck! Let us know if it works. You may want to work on this until Sunday. That way you won't be mucking around on gameday. PS if the antenna doesn't work, you should be able to return it. Make sure to find out return policy if you go with a local vendor vs BB.
CC doesn't carry antenna in store, at least my local one doesn't.

Groundbeef
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
So the weekend is over. Did you have any luck w/ OTA broadcasts? Hoping the advice panned out!:confused:

jrhymeammo
11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
I think he's too busy clubbing a cheetah. How did your undie turn out?

-JRA

Repoman75
11-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Repoman75
11-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Actually, i ordered a voice remover, that I will hook up to my receiver, instead of tryin the antennae... I'll update you all next week.

Repoman75
11-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Got it, but haven't tried it.. have to buy 1/4" converters for my RCA jacks... update still coming!

Repoman75
12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Ok, got it and hooked it up. holy smokes! EXACTLY what I was looking for. Watching football or basketball, gets rid of the announcer 99%, plus you have the background noise still. Crank up the volume, and its like being in the game, especially if you have surround sound! Granted, its only analog not digital hookups, but this works great!

Thanks to whomever recommended it!

Dusty Chalk
12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you the way you wanted. :thumbsup:

Hey! How come we don't have the dancing banana smilie? This would have been the perfect instance to do the "peanut butter jelly time" dance.