MS Fires Big Salvo in Console Wars [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MS Fires Big Salvo in Console Wars

Groundbeef
11-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Microsoft outlined plans starting on Nov 22 to allow XBOX 360 owners to d/l movies, TV programs, and even some HD Movies directly to the console Hard Drive. Movies would be for rent, and TV shows would be for purchase outright.

Currently Microsoft has lined up over 1000 hours of available programming from such media outlets as CBS, TBS, MTV and other studios. Estimates for d/l times are about 13 minutes for a 30 minute show. You will be able to begin watching programs before they are fully d/l'd.

This is pretty cool. Owners of the 360 will not need to purchase the optional HD-DVD drive to begin watching movies in HD! However, consumers will need to have the hard drive, so owners of the basic console will have to pony up to enjoy the programing.

ericl
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
So does this mean the X-Box 360 will have HD-DVR capability?

Groundbeef
11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
So does this mean the X-Box 360 will have HD-DVR capability?

Not quite. This feature will allow you to purchase either movies, or TV shows in HD (not every program will be in HD, and HD programs will have a small upcharge vs SD programming). If you purchase a movie, it will be more like a rental, and you will have 24 hours to watch the program after you start watching it. If you have a TV show, you own it for life. If you need to delete it, you can always re-d/l if you need it.

I am not sure how you would be able to connect your 360 to your TV input. Currently with the newest d/l from MS you will be able to stream media from any computer with Media Center 11 installed that is on the network w/ the console. In this way you could use your computer to act as a DVR (media center works nicely), and make it a "slave". Then you could draw the programming onto your TV via the 360.

I don't know why down the line MS couldn't or wouldn't make this an option. The main difficulty right now is the hard drive space restrictions.

spasticteapot
11-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I've heard that downloading movies is slow as heck, and a big pain in the kiester. Plus, if there's a glitch and the movie does'nt download right (which is often), they take your money anyway.

Personally, I'd rather just use a HTPC. Less hassle, and Netflix is probbably faster than the Microsoft download service.

Groundbeef
11-24-2006, 08:42 AM
I've heard that downloading movies is slow as heck, and a big pain in the kiester. Plus, if there's a glitch and the movie does'nt download right (which is often), they take your money anyway.

Personally, I'd rather just use a HTPC. Less hassle, and Netflix is probbably faster than the Microsoft download service.

I have not had a chance to try it yet, but am anxious to see how it works. When I get back from the in-laws house I'll see how it shakes out. The only potential downfall I see is that it will take about 1.5-2 hours to d/l a HD movie. BUT you can watch it anytime after that for 24 hours. So , if I were to think about renting something I would do it in the AM to watch in the PM.

Netflix is ok, I subscribe, but not much good if your movie doesn't show up by Sat, so you can watch on Sunday. Everything has a upside and a downside.

The real potential here is HD movies on demand. If it can be pulled off, HD DVD and Blu-Ray may become a mote point. If I don't need a fancy pancy player, and can still enjoy HD quality movies, why spend $500-1500 for a player.

This could really hurt Sony in the long run based on how much capital they have sunk into Blu-Ray.

Perhaps this exact service, but the potential for delivery is the real threat.

spasticteapot
11-24-2006, 09:00 AM
I have not had a chance to try it yet, but am anxious to see how it works. When I get back from the in-laws house I'll see how it shakes out. The only potential downfall I see is that it will take about 1.5-2 hours to d/l a HD movie. BUT you can watch it anytime after that for 24 hours. So , if I were to think about renting something I would do it in the AM to watch in the PM.

Netflix is ok, I subscribe, but not much good if your movie doesn't show up by Sat, so you can watch on Sunday. Everything has a upside and a downside.

The real potential here is HD movies on demand. If it can be pulled off, HD DVD and Blu-Ray may become a mote point. If I don't need a fancy pancy player, and can still enjoy HD quality movies, why spend $500-1500 for a player.

This could really hurt Sony in the long run based on how much capital they have sunk into Blu-Ray.

Perhaps this exact service, but the potential for delivery is the real threat.

The problem is that the service sucks, and HD files are massive - a 2mbps connection could easily take three hours or more.

Groundbeef
11-24-2006, 12:49 PM
The problem is that the service sucks, and HD files are massive - a 2mbps connection could easily take three hours or more.

Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. As you point out the files are massive. This is not an MP3 your getting here. If it takes time, so what? Like I said, if you plan to watch a movie, d/l it earlier in the day. No different than going to the movie store, and waiting until later to watch it.

The point is that recieving these files over the Net COULD change how delivery is done. If there are bugs, and it can be fixed, then this type of system could blunt the need for a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player.

As far as the "service sucks" comment, its only been live for 2 days. I would imagine that it is currently getting high demand. Perhaps the service is more popular than expected. This is a good thing I suppose. If more servers can be put in play, I would imagine that delays would go down. Or maybe your a PS3 owner and pissed because you can't d/l HD movies?

mojam
11-26-2006, 08:57 AM
I've read that these downloadable formats are compressed video and audio as is cable HDTV and DTV HDTV. The benefit of BueRay and HD-DVD with HDMI v1.3 is no compression. Should be a huge difference in quality.

Groundbeef
11-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I've read that these downloadable formats are compressed video and audio as is cable HDTV and DTV HDTV. The benefit of BueRay and HD-DVD with HDMI v1.3 is no compression. Should be a huge difference in quality.

Difference? Maybe. Huge? Define huge. If the quality is better than standard DVD, it may not make a difference. If I can rent a HD Quality movie for $4.00, and dont need a $500-1000 player to do it, do I really care if I can see the zits makeup forgot to cover up on the actors face? Probably not.

Ipods are hugely successful, and they RELY on compressed music. To many readers of this forum the format is not satisfactory audio wise, but to the rest of America, it works fine.

Time will tell.

spasticteapot
11-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. As you point out the files are massive. This is not an MP3 your getting here. If it takes time, so what? Like I said, if you plan to watch a movie, d/l it earlier in the day. No different than going to the movie store, and waiting until later to watch it.

The point is that recieving these files over the Net COULD change how delivery is done. If there are bugs, and it can be fixed, then this type of system could blunt the need for a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player.

As far as the "service sucks" comment, its only been live for 2 days. I would imagine that it is currently getting high demand. Perhaps the service is more popular than expected. This is a good thing I suppose. If more servers can be put in play, I would imagine that delays would go down. Or maybe your a PS3 owner and pissed because you can't d/l HD movies?

I'm actually going with the opinion of Tycho of Penny Arcade fame.

The problem is that it will often eat your money even if you did'nt get the whole video.

Groundbeef
11-27-2006, 04:29 AM
I'm actually going with the opinion of Tycho of Penny Arcade fame.

The problem is that it will often eat your money even if you did'nt get the whole video.

It depends on what you d/l. If it is a TV program, you can re/dl as the program is yours to keep forever. In fact, you can delete it from the hard drive, and re-d/l any time.

I am not sure what happens with the movie. Everything that I have read indicates that the movie is yours for 14 days. So, I think that you would be able to d/l it again if need be. The 24 hour limit comes into play AFTER you hit play. I will do some more digging and see what happens if you hit play not realizing the whole movie isn't there.

If you can simply re/dl then its not much more hassel than renting a movie and having it crap out because it is scratched.