Effect of humidity or temperature on planars? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Effect of humidity or temperature on planars?

Mike Anderson
11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed an effect of this sort. Does an increase in humidity or change in temperature change the sound of your planar speakers?

I'm thinking particularly of the Magnepan quasi-ribbons, although I wonder if there are similar effects with true ribbons.

Feanor
11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed an effect of this sort. Does an increase in humidity or change in temperature change the sound of your planar speakers?

I'm thinking particularly of the Magnepan quasi-ribbons, although I wonder if there are similar effects with true ribbons.

I've never heard any effect, though I do live in a heated and air-conditioned house. The biggest variation in my case would be in the winter when humidity is relatively low due to the heating.

jrhymeammo
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
I kinda remember reading an article on how SoundLab speakers are extremely sensitive to humidity/sunlight, and all the drivers need to be exchanged every 6 month or rather. I do have lower than average memory though........

JRA

Mike Anderson
11-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd swear my 1.6QRs sound brighter when it rains.

jrhymeammo
11-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Psycho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jazz sounds great when it rains though.
As you may know, I'm just a dummy with boxes so maybe I should say a thing. But MA, you need to just enjoy your music man. I know you enjoy your music, but of late you are starting to sound weird..... What's going on buddy?

Is it THAT noticeable? I thought you received your 3.6.

Be Good.

JoeE SP9
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
In the case of electrostatics which don't use magnetic fields but electrostatic fields humidity levels can have a dramatic effect on their performance. The dielectric proprieties of air change with the humidity levels and consequently the electrostatic field will be effected. Extremely high humidity will increase the maximum level ESL's can produce. They will also need less power for a given volume level. My ESL's definitely sound better when the humidity levels are higher. I'm guessing this is because the field is sustained better with higher humidity levels. Higher moisture means lower resistance in free air.
Although I haven't owned any Magneplanar's since 1977 my buddies who do have never mentioned anything about changes in level or performance. My one buddie who has 3.6R's brought up the subject several months ago. He wasn't sure if he heard a difference because the only time his rig was subject to high humidity levels was last summer while having a barbecue. That day he had the patio doors of his listening room open. No serious listening was going on so neither he nor I could be sure of any difference.:idea:

Mike Anderson
11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
But MA, you need to just enjoy your music man. I know you enjoy your music, but of late you are starting to sound weird..... What's going on buddy?

I had no idea I was starting to sound weird. I'm pretty sure I've always been weird to begin with!

Still waiting on the 3.6Rs. They said it'd be a couple weeks. It took about two months to get the durned 1.6s.