Using headphones on the PC's soundcard? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using headphones on the PC's soundcard?

adagio
02-09-2004, 12:08 AM
First off, I don't know squat about audio except for the recent research on the internet about headphones.

I don't have a stereo, but want to purchase headphones for my PC (music and some gaming). The thing is, will a Creative SB Audigy 2 suffice (TB Santa Cruz better)? I'm sure it will work, but can someone please tell me what the pros/cons are? I'm considering Grado SR80, but I do not want to purchase an amplifier to boot.

Also, is it possible to switch the SR80 cable with a longer one, or is it irreplaceable?

markw
02-09-2004, 01:34 AM
The Grados are excellent but probably overkill for the intended purposes. You probably won't "need" an amp, but you won't get all you paid for with the Grados using the power amp on the sound card.

If sound is important to you, you probably will want to invest in some sort of alternate amplification.

IMNSHO, I wouldn't waste the money on 'em unless you want to go all the way. simply get the Radio Shack titaniums, normally $40, now on sale for $20. Excellent phones, now at a great price. I ues 'em for my portables. I use my Grados on the home system.

In either case, extention cables are available in a wide assortment of price ranges from Cardas, Grado and RatShak (among others I'm sure)

adagio
02-09-2004, 08:57 AM
All right, thanks.

Silly question maybe, but how many percent would you say I lose by using headphones on a Audigy 2 card instead of a good system? Isn't the headphones themselves the most important part here?

markw
02-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Can't express this kinda thing in a percentage. Since I've never heard this sound card but have heard others I generalized. I've never heard one that sounds as good as even an inexpensive amp/receiver ... or even a walkman for that matter.

Technically true about the headphone determining the sound, but the upstream amplifier and source can seriously hold back an otherwise excellent headphone. Did you ever listen to a good headphone on an underpowered, overdistorted walkman?

I'm sure the the Grado will "work", but how well depends on a lot of other factors. On your sound card ... what's the output impedance, distortion figures and power output, as stated on the spec sheet?

joel2762
02-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I think thats a little overkill for computer. I have a pair of Sony MDR-G72's. I hook them directly to the sound card. Sounds AWSOME. maybe get a cheaper pair instead.

Wireworm5
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I've used my Sony-MDR V600 with this soundcard. They work but lack volume. You need to go with a more efficient model like the Sony-MDR-V900 ( 24 ohms) which also costs more. The Grado 80 is 32 ohms.

markw
02-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Don't know about the Grado's. From what I remember reading the Sennheiser 600's are also efficient and would probably work.

Both the Grado and the Sennheisers are 32 ohm impedance. What's the impedance of the Sony? FWIW, the Grado 60's and 80's are between $70 - $90 or so. The Sennheiser 600 is (was?) around $230 @ AudioAdvisor.

In either case, I think these will not play at a sufficient volume without additional amplification, particularly if your Sony's are 8 ohm units.

MikeG
02-10-2004, 07:01 PM
I've used my Sony-MDR V600 with this soundcard. They work but lack volume. You need to go with a more efficient model like the Sony-MDR-V900 ( 24 ohms) which also costs more. The Grado 80 is 32 ohms.
I have a pair of these too... I really like them. Listen to music all day long. They haven't worn out yet.

joel2762
02-11-2004, 02:37 AM
My MDR-G72's play fairly loud from my sound card. I can get it at a comfortable level and still have a reasonable amount of volume left. These sound great. I'm not sure the impedance on mine though, The package is upstairs and I won't get it now. I think you will be able to find a cheaper pair than the Grado's for computer use. but that's my opinion.