vintage receiver advise... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : vintage receiver advise...

Tarheel_
11-06-2006, 06:08 AM
we moved our HT into the basement and have remodel our living room. I want to power 2 speakers in this room and power a set of deck speakers. So, i'm thinking i'd like an older 70's receiver that looks cool and has plenty of lights and meters.

Any suggestions? i''m looking at ebay and have a budget of around $100. Need to power 2 pairs of speakers (8 ohm).

Feanor
11-06-2006, 06:40 AM
we moved our HT into the basement and have remodel our living room. I want to power 2 speakers in this room and power a set of deck speakers. So, i'm thinking i'd like an older 70's receiver that looks cool and has plenty of lights and meters.

Any suggestions? i''m looking at ebay and have a budget of around $100. Need to power 2 pairs of speakers (8 ohm).

The most popular '70s receivers are the Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, (pretty much in that order) -- and they are great in general. Unfortunately they are pretty popular too, so the prices tend to be above $100.

You might be able to get a lower-powered Sony, Technics, or Mitsubishi for around your budget. Personally I'd look at for NAD receivers the late '70s or early '80s in your price range but, unfortunately, they don't have that "silver" look.

Check out eBay under Consumer Electronics> Home Audio> Receivers> 2 Channel and also under Consumer Electronics> Home Audio> Vintage> Receivers.

The georgeous Marantz 2275, below, in excellent condition with a nice wood case will go for maybe $375-450. In very good condition, without case, maybe $250-300.

2325fan
11-06-2006, 07:57 AM
if u wanna pay shippin i got one ffor sale!!!!!!! pioneer sx650 itll be enough power for u
i have a room full of older vintage workin equip

Tarheel_
11-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Feanor,
man, that is one sweet Marantz....what's the deal with the wood case? Were these optional back in the day? I'd prefer a wood case...real classy. Are these cases real wood? If so, they can be sanded and refinished (big WAF)!

I'm not too concerned on the name brand, just decent sound and great classic looks.

Feanor
11-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Feanor,
man, that is one sweet Marantz....what's the deal with the wood case? Were these optional back in the day? I'd prefer a wood case...real classy. Are these cases real wood? If so, they can be sanded and refinished (big WAF)!

I'm not too concerned on the name brand, just decent sound and great classic looks.

These cases were an original option. I believe they are veneer over particle board but will take light sanding and refinishing.

Feanor
11-08-2006, 04:01 AM

Tarheel,

One of the best looking receivers -- ever -- is the Luxman R-1050: see the less than really great picture below.

There's one for sale on eBay. Recently several have been sold there for just over $100.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Luxman-R-1050-Receiver_W0QQitemZ200045341011QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3 279QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem