My well sucks! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My well sucks!

tdst
11-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Talk about off-topic- I'm looking for a soft water/iron removal system. My well is putting out some nasty orange iron water. Any suggestions? The only thing I'm sure about is that it's going to cost a lot of money. Money that would be better spent on audio gear, but that ain't gonna happen. :incazzato: Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Dave

trollgirl
11-05-2006, 09:17 AM
...about the well. How new is it, and how deep? I know a family in those Ozark hills, and they live in a campground which was formerly a CCC camp. The well is drilled to sea level, about a thousand feet, and the water is beautiful. If your well is new, have you tried pumping it out until the water runs clean? Are you near mining activity? That might contaminate things. Could you post a photo of a jar of the water?

Laz

rob7
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Don't know too much about a well, but we had a water-softener installed. It works great. We bought it at Sears and a local plumber on contract came out for the install. He told us that the Sears units were the best in his experience. We have one that uses potassium instead of the salt because we have a septic tank. I believe we got the biggest one. Unit + install <$1000.

Hope that helps.

Rob

dean_martin
11-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I have a well and pump. When we bought our house, the water didn't "test" out like it was supposed to at first, but the guy who installed the pump came out and "treated" it, then it passed. The seller had to take care of this before we closed, so I don't know much about what was done, but part of the problem was that the house was vacant for a while which meant the pump hadn't run in a while. You may have a county office that will send someone out and test it for you and may advise you on what needs to be done.

My next step is to get a generator so the pump can run when the power goes out. I'm working toward the day when we'll be self-sufficient and self-contained.