Subwoofer for condo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer for condo

elapsed
11-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I'll be moving into a new condo in March, so I'm hoping for some recommendations on my new subwoofer. Any advice greatly appreciated!

The condo is 634 sq foot, concrete building, hardwood floors. The subwoofers I'm looking at are (in Canadian dollar):

HSU VTF-3 MK 2, $990
SVS 20-39 PC–Plus $1,049
SVS PB12-Plus $1,199

The subwoofer would likely go into the corner closest to the balcony due to space constraints, though when I emailed HSU they recommended the top left corner, and they also recommended the smaller STF-3.

Does anyone have recommendations for Cynlinder vs Box subwoofer? What about downward firing vs front firing? Are there considerations for a room with hardwood floor?

As you can see from the floorplan, the subwoofer would be placed right by my only window, so maybe a box subwoofer is my best bet aesthetically? What is everyone's experience with a subwoofer in a condo, so not to disturb the neighbours too much?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/imgcache/2746.imgcache

markw
11-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Hsu knows their stuff.

Since you're in a condo with a hardwood floor, I hope you're on the ground level. Even so, I'm pretty sure you'll be meeting the neighbors in short order, and possibly short temper. Low frequencies are transmitted through the physical structure itself. Being on the ground floor removes the floor (nearest to the sub itself) from the equation but the walls and ceiling still contribute.