SVS PB10-NSD vs Velodyne DPS-10? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SVS PB10-NSD vs Velodyne DPS-10?

zoltar
11-04-2006, 05:11 AM
In a thread I started earlier, someone recommended SVS. I had never heard of them (or heard them) but their web site is very convincing. I hate put lay down $450 w/o hearing something first, so I am trying to do as much research as possible. Any ideas? Looking to spend $400-$500 on a sub for about a 2,000 cu ft space (12x15 room). Will use is 50/50 music/DVD's.
Thanks!

Geoffcin
11-04-2006, 06:53 AM
In a thread I started earlier, someone recommended SVS. I had never heard of them (or heard them) but their web site is very convincing. I hate put lay down $450 w/o hearing something first, so I am trying to do as much research as possible. Any ideas? Looking to spend $400-$500 on a sub for about a 2,000 cu ft space (12x15 room). Will use is 50/50 music/DVD's.
Thanks!

But I've never heard a bad review of them either. Companies like Velodyne and SVS make subs exclusively, and have done so for many years. Either companies product is most likely to be a quality unit.

A 10'-12" sub should be more than enough for your room. I assume your living in a house, because I do not recommend a powerful sub in an apt.

zoltar
11-04-2006, 07:07 AM
A 10'-12" sub should be more than enough for your room. I assume your living in a house, because I do not recommend a powerful sub in an apt.
Yeah, in a house, in the city. I had a sub a while ago, and with it cranked, you could hear it a little outside, but I don't think enough to cause a complaint. The SVS is 300 watts, and the Velodyne is 200.

What about buying on Ebay? These are not authorized dealers, so no warrantee, but much lower price.

Geoffcin
11-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Yeah, in a house, in the city. I had a sub a while ago, and with it cranked, you could hear it a little outside, but I don't think enough to cause a complaint. The SVS is 300 watts, and the Velodyne is 200.

What about buying on Ebay? These are not authorized dealers, so no warrantee, but much lower price.

With music, most of the high & mid frequency sound stays inside the room reflected back by the walls. Not so as you get to lower and lower frequencies. A sub quite often can be heard through SEVERAL walls. The only way to know is to crank it up and visit your neighbors to hear what their hearing.

Total watts can be misleading. It's the SPL output that matters. My guess is that they will be within just a few dB of each other.

RoyY51
11-04-2006, 07:41 AM
...should also be up for consideration. 350 watts, down-firing 12" woofer, beautiful appearance and equally good on music and movies. It blends wonderfully with my MA speakers for music and can completely pressurize my theater room with movies. It was designed by Dr. Hsu of Hsu subwoofer fame. If you Google it you will see a bunch of great reviews and comments.

The Outlaw sub sells for $579, internet only. By cutting out the bricks-and-mortar middlemen they are able to sell what would normally be a $1000 sub for almost half that. It's a killer deal that I'm very glad I didn't pass up.

L.J.
11-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Parts Express (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-762&ctab=1#Tabs) Titanic DIY sub kits are on sell right now. If your not afraid to get your hands dirty. I put one together awhile ago and it's a very easy step by step process. Only took me about an hour or so. The 10" is going for $288 (free shipping). The 12" is going for $458 & the 15" for $578 (all with free shipping).

Do a search of Titanic and you'll find the thoughts of myself and others on these subs.

kelsci
11-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Vanns has the Mirage S-12. I would consider looking at that one as well. In fact, before writing this thread I was listening to it on my brothers system. It is quite good. Nice clean deep bass and powerful.

Dusty Chalk
11-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I would buy it from the dealer. That way if you don't like it, you can return it.

And I've heard nothing but good things about SVS and Hsu. My next sub will probably be a SVS.

zoltar
11-04-2006, 07:05 PM
For my needs (and budget) the bottom of the line SVS just might do it. 300 watts RMS.

natronforever
11-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Zoltar, let me just say that the SVS PB10-NSD should be plenty for you. I own the PB10-ISD (the precursor to the NSD - they're basically identical) and I absolutely love it. It's way more powerful than my needs require and will play deeper than the Velodyne. The Velodyne isn't a bad product, but it's not going to give you the performance of the SVS. Buy it, and don't look back my friend. It's big, though, so buckle up for that. It's not a sealed sub, but I still very much enjoy it for music. On movies, it's amazing. As long as your receiver has bass management and a dedicated LFE preout (which I'm sure it does), then you're good to go. Let us know what you think of it, if that's the route you go.

BadAssJazz
11-19-2006, 02:12 PM
I'll second that for the SVS. You can't go wrong with it's performance in music or HT. I live in an apartment and, yes, my neighbors hate me on those days when I crank it. But even at less involved volumes, the bass is deep, fast and and precise. Once I heard the SVS, I had no problem getting rid of my Paradigm and Klipsch subs