Audiophile Professional Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile Professional Speakers

Pablo Nobrega
11-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi, could anybody give me any suggestions on Audiophile grade PRO speakers? I'm helping a friend setting up a nightclub, so we need PRO audiophile equipment suggestions. THANKS!!!

jrhymeammo
11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
What is his budget and how many rooms that play different music? Also, where is it at?

One more thing, what type of club is he opening? I ask this because if that scene is only interested in playing Top40, then if would be easier to find speakers. But if it's more of a sophisticated lounge, then likes of JBL might not do it.

-JRA

markw
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
"Audiophile" gear and "Sound Reinforcement" grar are two totally different breeds.

IIWY, I'd be looking for good pro gear but, as jrhy... said, a few more specifics are in orde.

Actually, I've heard some darn nice sounding JBL gear in pro environments. It's all in the ancillary equipment and speaker positioning and aiming. ...really good sound reinforcement ain't cheap or easy.

IMNSHO, the hot ticket in sound reinforcement today is EAW - http://www.eaw.com/
Not knowing exactly what type of "night club" you're aiming for, I'd say check out their DC series but, be aware, you'll need to invest in some serious electronics for good results. That Marantz 250 won't cut it.

Pablo Nobrega
11-03-2006, 02:03 PM
What do you guys think about the Tannoy pro audio line....? His DJ will be playing mostly acid jazz. The dance floor is pretty small about 200 sq. ft. The whole lounge is aproximately 1000 sq. ft. Thanks again.

Geoffcin
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
What do you guys think about the Tannoy pro audio line....? His DJ will be playing mostly acid jazz. The dance floor is pretty small about 200 sq. ft. The whole lounge is aproximately 1000 sq. ft. Thanks again.

Genelec also makes outstanding pro audio gear. I really don't think you need to go to a studio standard monitor for dance music though.

N. Abstentia
11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
www.carvin.com

Feanor
11-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi, could anybody give me any suggestions on Audiophile grade PRO speakers? I'm helping a friend setting up a nightclub, so we need PRO audiophile equipment suggestions. THANKS!!!

From what I hear, if you want audiophile quality from a pro speaker, then look to the Genelec line ...

http://www.genelec-ht.com/pdf/Genelec_RSS_fullline_06.pdf
They'll cost you, though :yikes:

Dusty Chalk
11-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Well, no, Genelec aren't really famous for sound reinforcement -- they're more for studio monitoring.

Tannoy is certainly good, as is EAW. I also like Mackie.

Worf101
11-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Well, no, Genelec aren't really famous for sound reinforcement -- they're more for studio monitoring.

Tannoy is certainly good, as is EAW. I also like Mackie.
EAW and Mackie are great speakers that will give you fantastic sound reproduction and are top notch quality wise. However they WILL cost you plenty o' money.

Da Worfster

poneal
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
build it yourself and then it's still not all that cheap. How much SPL do you need/want? If 115db will do then there are a lot of options. Once you start going for 120db things get a little tougher. With that said, my next project is pro sound oriented. I will be using the Eminence Kappa Pro 15 LF in a 120 liter box. It will be mated up to a PHL midrange unit, probably the PHL 1120 which I still need to purchase. I haven't decided on a tweeter yet but I think the Morel MDT-37 horn loaded textile dome tweeter should do the trick. So, if you can wait about 3-6 months then you can just copy my design once I complete it. Otherwise, I would stick with Mackie stage monitors and maybe throw in a couple of LF transducers to cover the lowend and take some stress off the monitors. JBL makes some good Pro stuff too. They are both expensive. You will need a decent mixer and some amps to drive all the stuff. If you have vocals, you will probably want to get a reverb unit. Do yourself a favor and learn how to setup everything. When you have bands come in they screw everything up when you let them do it. They think they know what they want but they really don't :).

Paul

canuckle
11-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Frankly, my closet is 200 square feet... it wouldn't take pro equipment to make music for it. Not that pro equipment isn't perfectly fine if that's what he wants; but really, the requirements for a 1000 square foot lounge can be met pretty easily.

herm0016
11-11-2006, 11:00 AM
also look the Meyer sound ultra series. they are self powered so you don't need an amp. i love the way the upm-2p sounds and i'm sure that the rest of the line is just as good. When i can afford it, they would make awesome speakers for a home system. last night we used a pair in a jazz band setup and they sound incredible. all of them are self powered so you don't have to invest in amplifiers, just a desk, playback and speakers. Are you planning on having any live music? or is it all going to be playback? this will determine what you need in a desk.

compaqguy
12-08-2006, 03:04 PM
they use Meyer Sound. I have seen a couple shows that use Meyer Sound equipment and the sound is always incredible. The sound is comparable to that oh a good quality home hi-fi.

Artists that I have seen use MeyerSound are:

Diana Krall
Dido
Sarah McLachlan
Norah Jones

And, another brand I would look into is Nexo, again, awesome sound quality with ultimate control.

on a side note, I have seen my local lounge (www.ohmlounge.com) use Alesis studio monitors for sound reinforcement. The sound quality is alwaya outstanding, and never overbearing.

compaqguy
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I am still partial about pro bass reinforcement... it either sucks royally or sounds fantastic.

I have yet to hear mackie or eaw sound great in that reguard, althouth the klipsch folded horns that my local danceclub uses are another story.

They use a set of 6, dual 15 inch horn loaded subs, They look like the kind that were designed for theater use, with huge klipsch logos on the front. I have never heard bass that fast and tight, and bet that they could keep up with my maggies without issue.

I have seen some people using folded horn subs with magnepans from time to time. It has been a passing thought of mine.

eisforelectronic
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
JBL used to have a downloadable professional sound system setup guide on their website which may be useful.