Looking for speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for speakers

MackTom
10-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Any suggestions for speakers to go with my B&K PT 3 Pre amp and B&K Reference 2220?

PeruvianSkies
10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Need more info.

What is your budget?
Room size?
Is this for stereo use or home theater application?
Will this system be used strictly for music or movies?
What is your listening preference mainly?
What are you using for your media? CD? Vinyl? 8-Track? Reel-to-reel?

The answer to these questions will really help narrow down the selections and also help get you on target with some ideas.

MackTom
11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your reply, appreciate your help, have been a cistomer of tweeter they have the Martin Logan and Focal units. I see your in PA, I'm in MD, maybe you have some advice on stores, that would be helpful.

Have an old set of 901's, they kinda grow on you, but I think it's time for them to go.
Tom

What is your budget? - Would like to keep a pair around 2000 to 2500

Room size? - 12X20

Is this for stereo use or home theater application? Stereo, amp is a 2ch,.

Will this system be used strictly for music or movies? - Run the TV through the receiver and for music, not much of a movie fan.

What is your listening preference mainly?- Mostly alternative rock and acoustical.

What are you using for your media? CD? Vinyl? 8-Track? Reel-to-reel? Mostly CD (Sony DVP NS700P), some digital from cable.

jrhymeammo
11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I was gon suggees somem big. Like them profecional JBL and MTXes we see at them shows. And use them money you got left 'round and put;em to use on then doggamn cd players. But dat don make no sense either ah'reckon.

Are you looking for a pair that screams "I'm a Man!!"? I ask this because I dont know if you wanna pair of floorstanders or a pair and a powered sub.

jayra

Hyfi
11-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Any suggestions for speakers to go with my B&K PT 3 Pre amp and B&K Reference 2220?

Wow, I replied to this post last night and it's not here.

I recently helped a friend put together a system with similar B&K components. Along with a Rotel 5 disk changer and MIT cabling, he chose the Dynaudio 72s. I have the 82s and love them but I drive mine with an Oddessy Stratos modded amp that puts out a bit more power than your B&K. You will have no problems with the 72s. He chose them after going back and forth between the B&W line at same price point due to the tweeter and bass.

Good luck with your choice.

PeruvianSkies
11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
With that price point you can't go wrong with some of the very common manufacturer's like B&W, PSB, Paradigm, Polk, Definitive, etc etc. Unfortunately I forgot to ask you about speaker preference...do you want speakers that will need to be on stands or do you want floorstander speakers?

drseid
11-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Thanks for your reply, appreciate your help, have been a cistomer of tweeter they have the Martin Logan and Focal units. I see your in PA, I'm in MD, maybe you have some advice on stores, that would be helpful.

Have an old set of 901's, they kinda grow on you, but I think it's time for them to go.
Tom

What is your budget? - Would like to keep a pair around 2000 to 2500

Room size? - 12X20

Is this for stereo use or home theater application? Stereo, amp is a 2ch,.

Will this system be used strictly for music or movies? - Run the TV through the receiver and for music, not much of a movie fan.

What is your listening preference mainly?- Mostly alternative rock and acoustical.

What are you using for your media? CD? Vinyl? 8-Track? Reel-to-reel? Mostly CD (Sony DVP NS700P), some digital from cable.

With that budget you may want to consider a used pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes (the model that was just replaced by the new Domus line). These are some tremendous looking and sounding floorstanders that should be a good match with your electronics. Used you should be able to score a pair at or just under 2K.

Also if you are in the DC area (I saw you lived in MD), you are welcome to come over to my house in NOVA (Chantilly) to give my Tylers a listen. Mine cost too much for your budget, but Tyler has a lot of speakers in your price point that would sound very similar to mine (as they have a house sound).

---Dave

sethmckiness
11-02-2006, 05:31 PM
From speakers I have direct experience with, I would recomment a listen to Paradigm Studio 60s and Magnepan 1.6QRs Personnaly I like the 60s over the 100s, I think they sound a little cleaner due to it's simple crossover. But if you can track down some vandersteins they migth be worth a listen as well.

Maggie 1.6QR = ~1800$ Great Soundstageing
Paradigm Studio 60 = ~1800$ ? Amazing smooth on/off axis frequency response

Save money for a decent sub or source

MackTom
11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Source ? Not as technical as the folks here. but appreciate the advice. Tom

MackTom
11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
prefer floorstanding, what kind of room do you normally need front to wall and side to side or is that speaker specific?

jrhymeammo
11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Also if you are in the DC area (I saw you lived in MD), you are welcome to come over to my house in NOVA (Chantilly) to give my Tylers a listen. Mine cost too much for your budget, but Tyler has a lot of speakers in your price point that would sound very similar to mine (as they have a house sound).

---Dave

I have talked to Ty before, and he is a great guy. Of course that doesnt mean their speakers will sound great just by that. But, that tells ALOT about firms and how they are possibly operated. Looking forward to do business in future.

sethmckiness
11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Source as Disc player or nice Turntable, I love my Rega Planar 2, but I could use a better cartidge. Also need to get the phono preamp revived on the Eico..

drseid
11-03-2006, 02:32 AM
I have talked to Ty before, and he is a great guy. Of course that doesnt mean their speakers will sound great just by that. But, that tells ALOT about firms and how they are possibly operated. Looking forward to do business in future.

I have met Ty in person and he is about as nice a guy as you will find out there. His speakers are even better, IMO. :-)

---Dave

topspeed
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
We all named our favorite $2K speakers in this thread, (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906) so you might start there. If you ignore the grandstanding and posturing by some members, particularly near the end of the thread, you'll be rewarded with quite a few very viable options.

B&K makes excellent equipment for the money. Very good, very durable gear which I myself ran for 15 years without a glitch (save for a burned out power switch bulb). I bought them based on their warm, almost tube-like sound quality and found great synergy when paired with a set of bright speakers, such as my Missions that have semi-horn loaded tweeters. It is because of this characteristic that I'm unsure how well they would pair with more laid-back speakers such as Sonus, Vandersteen, or Canton. I'm not saying it would be bad, but it would likely be very, very mellow...perhaps too mellow for alt-rock.

Take a look at that thread, narrow down your choices, and go listen, listen, and listen some more. Only you can decide which is best for you.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

MackTom
11-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Finally decided on the Martin Logan Vantage. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Willl Mc
12-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I have some JMLabs Cbalt 816 & some JMLabs daline 3.1 which I have found to be excellent.I am currently using Silverline 17v3 however you really need to invest in sone HD electonics to get these to sound good.I am a Canadian & selling my speakers up here in the $800 range .Similar deals can be found on Audiogon done there in the US.These two speakers are highly recommened & have gotten top reviws in the past,The focal drivers they use & the crossovers seem to last forever so looked for used & save a bundle.