Home Theatre nearing Completion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre nearing Completion

Tibbydriver
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Well im proud to say im now the owner of a fantastic pair of a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5 V.4 front speakers with matching stands. Ive done my research and I believe these will really compliment the Paradigm PDR 10 Subwoofer and Paradigm CC170 center speaker I purchased the other day. Well right now requesting help with a reciever I should purchase. Im only looking for mid range reciever that will allow me to have a great 5.1 setup. I have my eyes on a nice set of Paradigm rear speakers but am waiting on those and would like to get the reciever squared away first. Any suggesions and links would be helpful. The dealer I was working with wants to sell me a 600 dollar Paradigm reciever and thats about 300 more than what I wanted to spend.

markw
10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
In any case, those speakers lke a goodly amount of clean power. I wouldn't skimp on that. If you're lexpecting them to be happy with one of them 100 watt, five channel, $300 receivers, keep looking. Your dealer may actually be trying to guide you right.

Tibbydriver
10-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Any suggestions on other recievers?

markw
10-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Any suggestions on other recievers?Within what price range?

Tibbydriver
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I was thinking between 300-450. Just a good 5.1 reciever that will do all my Paradigm stuff justice.

paul_pci
10-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Yamaha and Denon are the two most popular models for their reliability, features, and performance.

Tibbydriver
11-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Are there any certain model Yamahas or Denons that you recommend.

paul_pci
11-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Are there any certain model Yamahas or Denons that you recommend.

If you're committed to a specific budget, then it's the budget that will determine which model you purchase. Most manufacturers tier their models from entry-level small budgets to monstrous receivers that cost the same as one would spend on separates.

bfalls
11-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Did you buy the Paradigm Premier stands? If so, which series the 'S', 'P' or 'J'. I saw two pairs of the 'P' stands on ebay yesterday. They originally sold for $189. The first pair went for $204, the second are at $102 with 7 hours left. I have two pair of these and they're excellent, heavy, well constructed, easy on the eyes. Except for the massive four-pillar Target stands, I haven't found any I would pay big buck for. The Bell O's are good, but don't seem as hefty. I've included a picture of the Ps.

Tarheel_
11-01-2006, 10:47 AM
take a look at the Pioneer VSX 1016 model receiver....great specs, has in room eq, is very simliar to the lower-end of the Elite line and ......it weights 35lbs. That alone says alot. You can find them online in your price range.

http://www.nextag.com/Pioneer-VSX-1016TXV-K-509901221/prices-html

edit: also forgot to mention that this receiver has HDMI connections (2 in/1 out)

and yes, i'm strongly considering this for Christmas (can u tell?).

Tibbydriver
11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a question on the reciever that was posted above. I see that its a 7.1 set up but cant I still get a 5.1 out of it. Im not sure how the 6.1 and 7.1 differs from the 5.1. Also I was wondering about something. Right now I have everything hooked through a Sony reciever.Right now I have options to paly with the loudness of the center speaker, and the rear speakers. Now with newer recievers(the sony is about 5 years old) can you also do that with the front speakers.

Tarheel_
11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
tibbydriver,
any receiver that says 7.1 will also do 5.1. It just means the receiver can power 7 speaker and a sub (.1).
so if you have a 5.1 setup ( front left- center- front right- left surround-right surround).
if you have a 7.1 setup ( front left- center- front right- left surround-right surround- left surround back- right surround back).

if you don't need or use the rear back surrounds, you can usually assign the receiver to power 2 speakers in another room.

the Sony you have is outdated, all new receivers have the ability to adjust each speaker for sound level and some even further like size, distance from speaker to the listening position, etc...

but simply, yes a 7.1 receiver can do 5.1. most DVDs don't use the extra back speakers, but the receivers can make sound from them to help larger rooms merge the sound.

paul_pci
11-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes, with most current receiver you can adust the level of the channels, but you will want to have the main L/R speakers to be at one set volume, the reference level, and adjust the remaining speakers to match that level. Once you settle on a receiver and get it all set up, you'll want to calibrate the speaker level using a test/calibration disc and an spl meter from Radio Shack. That way you can "level match" the speakers so that the sound field is even and more coherent.

Tibbydriver
11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Well thanks for the info. Yes, the Sony I have is very outdated. Im planning on waiting to get the new reciever and Paradigm rears at leat a few months buttheinfo you guys have given me really helped in terms of what i need and what im looking for. Thanks alot.

icarus
11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Harmon Kardon produces some nice recievers for not too much money.

evil__betty
11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
I own the 1015 - nicer looking but no XM, HDMI. I'm not sure if you're monitors have two binding posts or not, but a neat feature of the 1016 is that if you do not have a 7.1 system, you can run wire from the rear-surround left & right to your front speakers and through the menu on the reciever, you can now bi-wire your fronts. Just make sure that you take off the gold plate connectors otherwise, you'll short out your amp. Great sound, cheap price, built like a tank, I'd pick it up myself if I didn't already have an amp. Only downside is that it doesn't upconvert through HDMI only through component video. But it still has deadly specs. Take a look at it.

jrhymeammo
11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Dear Icaerus and Evil Betty. Think the original poster left this site about 3 weeks ago. He only posted for a few days. But I do wish we get more contributing members though.

I'm sure he has already purchased his receiver. But I'm wondering why no one suggest him to get a 5ch amp, and use his sony as a processor. If he wasnt satisfied with his Sony, and was wanting to upgrade with his $300, I dont think he will be gaining much(assuming his Sony receiver has basic DD and DTS).
Monitor 5s are very good speakers. I think he'll need more power than what a $300 AV receiver can put out.

-JRA

evil__betty
11-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Dear Icaerus and Evil Betty. Think the original poster left this site about 3 weeks ago. He only posted for a few days. But I do wish we get more contributing members though.

I'm sure he has already purchased his receiver. But I'm wondering why no one suggest him to get a 5ch amp, and use his sony as a processor. If he wasnt satisfied with his Sony, and was wanting to upgrade with his $300, I dont think he will be gaining much(assuming his Sony receiver has basic DD and DTS).
Monitor 5s are very good speakers. I think he'll need more power than what a $300 AV receiver can put out.

-JRA
Sorry, wasn't paying attention to when the first post was. I hope he did buy the cheapest reciever out there,

While not a bad idea, using his Sony as a pre-amp, unless you kow of somewhere that sells quality 5ch amps at $300, I've found that any decent 5 ch amp will run him much more than some of the 'basic' recievers that we were suggesting. You also have to hope that his sony has full pre-outs and does DD/DTS. I agree that his Paradigms are really nice speakers, and do need sufficient power, I think that with his current budget, the VSX1016TK was his best choice. I'm sure that most of the people on this forum have started their system with a less-than-ideal setup due to limiting funds (hey, I'm one of them), but have built their system up over time with better components when money allows.