OK, I cloesd my eyes, held my nose, and finally jumped into HD. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, I cloesd my eyes, held my nose, and finally jumped into HD.

markw
10-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I wound up with one of these for ths price ($884), although I didn't get it gfrom 6th Ave.

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=32HL66

Why? When I went to pick it up and went to use my 6th Ave credit card (with no interest for 18 months) I was told that the low price was not valid with the credit card. If I wanted to use their financing I would have to pay $1050 or something like that.

Well, their interestfree credit card was their trump card. Since they lost that advantage, I took the printout of this ad to our local 6th Avenue and they not only matched that price, they were also having a special whre they pay the sales tax, another 80$ savings. It's lookin' fine now but I still have a lot of learning to do.

Oh, I sprung anothe$140 for a three year in house service contract that kicks in when the Toshiba waranty expires. Dunno about this new-fangled technology...

bobsticks
10-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Aw man, I show up here, hat in hand, ready to throw down with the congratulatory post and yer link leads to blankscreen. C'mon man, show us the goods!

(I leave deadend links all the time so it's Pot and Kettle time...)

markw
10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Aw man, I show up here, hat in hand, ready to throw down with the congratulatory post and yer link leads to blankscreen. C'mon man, show us the goods!

(I leave deadend links all the time so it's Pot and Kettle time...)It just worked again for me.

FWIW, it's a Toshiba 32HL66, Here's a link to Toshiba directly, I hope...

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=32hl66

Smokey
10-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I don’t know if you have seen Nov. issue of ConsumerReports magazine or not, but your TV Toshiba 32HL66 was the only 32 inch LCD TV that received 5 star (Excellent) in term of picture quality in HD. Good going.

Hopefully after playing with it for couple of days, you will give us a full review of this TV in HD, DVD and SD mode.

Thanks.

EdwardGein
10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Well you're smart to get the service contract as its good insurance for you. I just hope the 32" set is big enough for you. I have a 34" HDTV in the bedroom which is the perfect size for me & anything smaller would be too small for me. In the living room the HDTV is 48", the 34" set would be too small for me there. Both TV's are HD CRT's (48" rear projection Mitsubishi & 34"
Panasonic) & I'm very happy with them & as far as I'm concerned watching HDTV is the difference between night & day. Make sure your using good component cables, not the cheap stuff your cable or satellite company does & make sure you have an HD DVR. Good luck

kexodusc
11-01-2006, 04:36 AM
This will go down as the single greatest buying mistake you are likely to ever make, and you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
Just kidding.

Welcome to the 21st century. Nice set, btw, I was fiddling with that very model the other day. I like Toshiba's TV's, the last few years they've seemed to be near the top in bang for the buck. Now you'll have to get well acquainted with DVE or Avia again. Lucky you. Enjoy!

GMichael
11-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Atta-boy is order. Welcome to the 21st century. A 32" can seem very large if you're used to 25 or 27". I have a 32" in the basement that still seems plenty big enough. Toshiba does get some high marks. I was looking into that line before I went to a projector.
So, how's it look? Do you have many HD channels? Tried a DVD yet? When you gonna get a second one for the bedroom?

bobsticks
11-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Hey mark w,

Very nice! I'm likin' your style--when you hold your nose and jump, you go the full distance.
Definetely a good purchase.

L.J.
11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Comcast just added TNT to the HD line up along with a few other channels. Just in time for Basketball :)

I have a HD DVR in my main room and bedroom, so I have plenty of HD to watch. Anyways, congrats and welcome to the world of sports in HD.