Purchased a pair of sinclair audio sb3600t's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a pair of sinclair audio sb3600t's

BEETLEMAN
10-31-2006, 01:22 PM
After hunting around for a good set of floor standers i came across these. they are configured with three 6.5" drivers and a soft dome tweeter. i was in a local store and the guy said if i would like a demo and with them hooked to some good bryston gear and a top notch cd player i was very impressed with the sound. imaging was spot on and the bass from these was very good.
anyone else using these speakers and what do you think of them. cant find much info on them but for the price i paid (cheaper than buying an ipod) i figure i couldnt lose.

jrhymeammo
10-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Congratulation on your enjoyment. What's the name of the place you purchased from? Is it an authorized dealer of Bryson products?

-JRA

3db
11-01-2006, 02:06 PM
After hunting around for a good set of floor standers i came across these. they are configured with three 6.5" drivers and a soft dome tweeter. i was in a local store and the guy said if i would like a demo and with them hooked to some good bryston gear and a top notch cd player i was very impressed with the sound. imaging was spot on and the bass from these was very good.
anyone else using these speakers and what do you think of them. cant find much info on them but for the price i paid (cheaper than buying an ipod) i figure i couldnt lose.

Its just another company in a large miriad of Canadian loudspeaker manufactures.

http://www.sinclairaudio.com/products/brighton_sb3600t.html

Have never seen them reviewed but that does not mean they are not good, Enjoy and have fun.

bfalls
11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
They look impressive, similar to a Paradigm or PSB tower. A google search for this model turned up only five hits, so they're not very well known. Some say "no news is good news".

spf
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Great thread on these relatively unknown speakers!! The Sinclair Audio company is a subsiduary of Erickson Inc., who import various other brands of audio into Canada. They are just another small company producing great quality speakers IMO.

I purchased the SB3600s towers as well, along with SB160S bookshelves for the surrounds and a SB250C center channel. The subwoofer is a SB1000W 10" unit.

I would characterize these speakers as punchy and bright. I found them to be a great match with Denon receivers since the Denon stuff tends to soften the sound slightly. In my own comparisons, I was fortunate enough to demo the Brighton 5.1 line against the Paradigm Monitor line (In this case the Monitor 7 towers, CC-370 centre, Mini-Monitor surrounds, and the PDR-10 subwoofer) and the Mirage Omni line (Omni 550 towers, with C150 centre and 150 surrounds and the Omni S10 Sub)

To compare looks (Let's face it, it's important to most and we have spouses who care about these things), I would choose the Brightons over either Paradigm or Mirage simply because I am a fan of the Black Laquer finish and the contrasting white cones. They are beautiful with the grills off.

I tried my best to be impartial by imposing a crude form of the blind test. (I covered my eyes with some dark shades in the already darkened room and let the salesman swtich the line from behind me) After the demo, (Metallica followed by some Steely Dan and the Blue Man Group DVD-Audio disc with a couple of classic piano pieces for good measure :o) ) I found the Brightons to offer a great deal more detail and soundstage in the treble regions and definitely more dynamics overall. Midrange was a fairly even match and the bass of the Brightons was a bit leaner than the Monitors but tighter and faster. My only caveat with the Brightons was that the centre channel uses 5 1/4" woofers while the towers and bookshelves have 6 1/2" units. his would theoretically give an uneven timbre when panning the sound across the front. I didn't notice it but I wished they made a 6 1/2" centre. (Wishlist) Comparing subs, the SB1000 was a more musical and transcient sub then the PDR-10 but in home theatre I would think both would be excellent. Now don't get me wrong, the Monitors are nice speakers but I would more favourably compare the Brightons to the Studio line (And to be honest I think the Studios would win fairly handily but even the thought of comparing them deserve mention)

Compared the the Omni line, it was a tricky comparison. Apples to oranges, if you will. The Omnis had ambience in spades and filled the room with great sound owed to their omnipolar nature. My preference leans towards a more direct firing listening experience (Especially in movies) and that basically made my decision for me. The towers were comparable in treble and midrange with the Omnis sounding a bit smoother at higher volumes. The Onmis had great bass accuracy but not as much depth as the Brightons. Subs were nearly equal with a slight edge going to the SB1000 in overall depth. I would choose the Omnis over the Brightons if you like a huge sweet spot to listen to music: It honestly sounded the same from 4 seating areas.

Hope this helps explain to you guys a bit about this small brand.

Cheers
Shane

audio_dude
12-03-2006, 07:46 AM
i auditioned a pair of sinclair audio speakers once, i beleive it would be the SB160...

in short, the laquer was nice, but the sound was horrible, piercing highs, weak mid-range, and for what bass it did have, was un controlled and boomy...

spf
12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
i auditioned a pair of sinclair audio speakers once, i beleive it would be the SB160...

in short, the laquer was nice, but the sound was horrible, piercing highs, weak mid-range, and for what bass it did have, was un controlled and boomy...

It really does depend on the conditions that you listen to a speaker that make the difference. My first experience with the Brighton speakers was not a good one. I had heard the bookshleves (SB150 I think) several months earlier at another store and I also was not impressed byt their sound. It sounded as if someone went wild with the EQ on the HIghs and Lows ...totally drowning out the mids. Not sure what was the culprit there but fortunately my Brighton setup has a very nice balanced sound IMO and I couldn't be happier. And the pegs are all set to 0 (Treb, mid, bass). Cheers

Shane

jrhymeammo
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
S.......... Sh......... Shi.......... Shil............Shill......Shillings and Pense. What?