Any info on American Acoustics speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any info on American Acoustics speakers?

pkats
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Upon learning recently that the woofers on my old Infinity Ref 6 towers needed new foam I decided to retire them and start a search for some new speakers altogether. I hooked up some old Am. Ac. speakers that I had in the attic (almost forgot I had them!) in the meantime and was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. They actually sound better, I think, than the Infinitys ever did with my Adcom GFA-555II - especially at loud volumes. I have always had problems with the tweeters shutting off and the thermal protection light glowing with the Infinitys so I learned how loud I could put them and never went past that. I can play the Am Ac at higher levels for longer periods with better sound.
The Adcom is rated at 200w,
the Inf. at 35 to 225wpc RMS, sens 90dB, 6 ohms,
the Am Ac 78 RMS, 156w peak, 4/8 ohms (these specs taken directly from the front of the cabinets - I don't have the manual)

So 2 questions:
Can anyone shed some light on the speaker differences? ie. are the Infinitys just crap from the getgo?
Can anyone tell me anything about the American Acoustics model# D4550E? I bought them at a Musicraft store in Chicago at least 10 years ago and haven't been able to find out much on the web.

I realize this isn't audiophile equipment and I soon will be upgrading but any responses would help satisfy my curiosity.

pacer
01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I am not familiar with this model, However I have a pair of American Acoustics DS1212 that I am running with a 100 watt Carver amp. These are tune ported with dual 12" woofers, a 7" midrange and dome tweeter. These are black, 43" tall and weigh about 95lbs apiece. They handle the 100 watts well and I would guess they could handle up to 150 watts. I have read that the response is 23hz- 23khz. I am happy with them and run them concurrently with a pair of realistic mach ones.