Center Channel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center Channel

Jski780
10-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on a center channel speaker. I'm very very green as far as audio equipment and speakers. I have recently had an addition built on to my house and I have put in a HDTV with surround speakers. I had an installer put in some recessed speakers in the front and back of the room, they are ON-Q 7000 8" series speakers and I have a PSB SubSonic 6i bass. Does anyone know of a center channel speaker that might go well with this setup? ON-Q's center chanel only comes in a recessed wall version and I would like to put the center channel inside, top or bottom, of a TV cabinet. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Jski780
11-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Here is some additonal information.... The room is about 20x20 with a pitched ceiling (where the center beam runs horizontal with the TV wall). The ON-Q recessed ceiling speakers are in the ceiling towards the four corners of the room, about 10 to 11 feet high, I know it is not the ideal location but that is what I have. I was going to try a decent center channel first and if I need more later I will get front left and right speakers to put by the TV or in the TV cabinet.

If anyone has some ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

audio_dude
11-01-2006, 02:08 PM
hmm, don't know much about the brand, but by looking at the pictures, i'm gonna go ahead and reccomend a Klipsh centre channel, they seem to be a pretty popular choice, very common matched with paradigms

Jski780
11-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Audio Dude. Would you recommend the Reference or Synergy Klipsh series? It looks like the Synergy type I can get somewhere like Best Buy but the Reference I would have to order. Thanks again for your input, I'm so new at Home Audio/Theater systems.

audio_dude
11-01-2006, 04:11 PM
ya, i'm gonna say the reference series, better quality, the other stuff is almost like "multimedia" speaker junk...

i'd recommend the RC-10

jpchleapas
11-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on a center channel speaker. I'm very very green as far as audio equipment and speakers. I have recently had an addition built on to my house and I have put in a HDTV with surround speakers. I had an installer put in some recessed speakers in the front and back of the room, they are ON-Q 7000 8" series speakers and I have a PSB SubSonic 6i bass. Does anyone know of a center channel speaker that might go well with this setup? ON-Q's center chanel only comes in a recessed wall version and I would like to put the center channel inside, top or bottom, of a TV cabinet. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

It really is important to have your speakers voice well together. It is best to stay with the same company for all with the exception of the subwoofer(s). Your other option is to research companies selling center channel speakers with the same drivers. Even then it is a real roll of the dice. I have a 7.1 set up with Hales T-5's for front, Hales Concept 2 for my rear speakers, and Rev 1's for my L & R side channels. I was fortunate to find someone to build me a speaker using the same drivers that Hales used in my T-5's for my front center channel. You might be able to buy the recessed wall version and then scrounge a cheap front center that needs new drivers. Or buy a bare cabinet and put in the on-q's drivers and crossover into it. I am now actively scrounging for a second matching subwoofer for my HT set up. Good luck! John

audio_dude
11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
uhh, why'd ya dig up this old thread?? i thout it was already answered....

oh ya, Jski780, could ya give us an update??