Louder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Louder

tirbine
10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Just got some Polk RSi6 book shelf speakers and a CSi5 center channel. Running them through a Denon 3805 amp. They seem a bit soft to me. they sound great just would like to have them be a bit louder if possible. I have a faulted ceiling to the second floor. Sub will be installed in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Woochifer
10-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Soft? Compared to what?

If it doesn't play loud enough, you simply turn up the volume. If the sound output from the individual speakers isn't equal, then get a SPL meter (Radio Shack sells them for $40) and match the levels. Otherwise, keep in mind that different speaker models will have different efficiencies, and they will sound very different if you move them into a different room.

jrhymeammo
10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Klipsh will be brighter and much more louder. Let's say your Polks has sensitivity of 88dbs. Klipsch RB81 has sentivity of 97db. So this means that your Denon's 110watts will transform into 880watts per channel. Or you would only need 13.75watts to drive RB81 to produce same pound pressure as 110watts with RSi6.
There are other areas you gotta consider, but theorically I'm close.

-jayra

bfalls
10-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Are the Polks a discontinued model? I did a google search and had only 3 matches. I went to the Polk site and they don't list it at all. The closest I saw was a floorstander RTi6. If your speakers are the RTi6 they have an efficiency of 89db which is good. You should be able to drive them to reasonably loud levels with your 3805's 110W/ch.
I have the Denon AVR-3300 with 105W/ch and I have no problem driving a huge pair of Legacy Focus, Legacy Silver Screen center and T&A (German: Theory & Application) 3-way rears.
I've never been a big fan of Polks. I had a pair of their Compact SRS speakers and they would shutdown a JVC 100w/ch I was receiver I was evaluating, at very low volume levels. I also thought their modular design looked as though they mounted their car speakers in a cabinet. I haven't heard the Polks in a very long time, but feel an upgrade would do oyu good in you're not hearing the levels you expect.
Does your Denon get very hot when attempting to drive the Polks. This would be a good indication they're probably not the easy load their 89db efficiency portrays. Buying a powered sub will help substantially by freeing up the power used by the Polks for reproducing bass. Setting your speakers settings to small will route bass to the sub and leave the Denon to power and reproduce better midrange and high frequencies.
It's also possible you have the Polks out-of-phase, causing cancellation of signal. This is easy to determine by placing your speakers face to face and reversing the speaker wires on one speaker. This will cause almost total cancellation of the bass when out-of-phase and is easy to hear. I'm sure the vaulted ceiling don't help either, by providing a larger area to fill with sound. I have my system in a 12.5' x 25' room with 8' ceilings. I don't have level problems no matter which speakers I listen to.