Klipsch Heresy. PICS. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch Heresy. PICS.

jocko_nc
10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Heresy's: Does anyone else get a kick-in-the-pants from these?

Have you ever given these a good listen? Lately?

I knew what these were supposed to be, but had honestly never heard them. At least not at home and not with familiar music and a familiar system. I "Goodwilled" myself into a pair of Heresy's vintage 1981 the other day. $16.00 for the pair, pretty cool. They are in decent shape, except for the stand mounts the previous owner installed into the bottom. However, for the price... One obviously has a blown tweeterhorn (sounds like a famous mountain in Europe) diaphragm, the multimeter found that right away. The other sounded fantastic, particularly at obscene volume levels. New diaphragm is on the way...

Yes, they are in-your-face. Having listened to more-accurate monitors for a while now, I was taken by the warmth and power of the sound. So much mid and vocal sound. A little muddy, perhaps, but powerful and ready to rock. What really impressed me was how loud I could crank it without hearing any distortion kick in. At high volumes I usually pick up sounds that aren't right. Fatigue sounds, particularly with vocals and/or horns. These got loud and just kept getting louder. They sound like a live show. Pretty cool for rock music and/or blues. Looking inside the cabinet, I cannot believe what is there: It looks like a DIY project gone mad. The caps look to be hand-made from a can of Spam. I swear the coils are lobotomized transformers. All built onto a piece of plywood with terminal blocks. It looks like communication gear from inside a WWII tank. I LOVE IT! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have fast-tracked getting these up to par. I may make these my main chanels for a while. They will fit in my cabinetry. The obvious shortcoming is the low bass. Klipsch claims to address this with 15.00 inch drivers in the Cornwalls. Humbug. I have dual Dayton 10.00 Reference subs to fill out the low end. That ought to be a hoot.

All for $16.00 + $23.00

jocko

jocko_nc
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh yea... I powered these with a Carver C-2 preamp into an H/K Citation 22 (200 wpc) power amp. Nice equipment that I found at the Goodwill last week. No kidding, someone gave that away. I paid $20.00 each.

The Loudest Stereo in Town for a mere $56.00! !!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

jocko

jrhymeammo
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I will roll witchu to the end pal. Are you gonna redo the crossovers and drivers to transform them into an incredible pair? I think it's time for you to stepup and use some really good cables and everything else. GO ALL OUT!!!
I'm just glad I dont live in a same city as you.

jayra

kexodusc
10-31-2006, 04:48 AM
Dude, I don't know who that poor sap is in the photo, but as funny as he is, it's too freakin' big to be included in all your messages...

As for Klipsch - The only model I've ever liked by them are the K-Horns. But I really have a lot of respect for a lot of their models. They have their philosophy and they stick to it. Generally, above average build quality at all price points too. One of the great names in audio.

jocko_nc
10-31-2006, 06:22 AM
Klipsch horns: I guess I wouldn't pay a lot for them. The price of the "new classics" are a bit nuts. I can see how expensive those drivers are. Yipes. That is all these speakers are: High-end compression horns and a good pro-audio bid-bass. Add a plywood box. Add a high quality DIY crossover. There you go. However, price is not the point with them, as far as I am concerned.

I'm just going to get these up to snuff, not about to put any money into them. That defeats the purpose of a GW score in general and would only bring nominal benefits, if any. I will try to check and see that the crossover components are within specification. I suspect they are.

jocko

jocko_nc
10-31-2006, 06:24 AM
Hey Kex:

Have you ever played with that H/K Citation 22? It seems to be a beast. I don't have much time with it yet, but it appears to be a pretty good one.

jocko

kexodusc
10-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey Kex:

Have you ever played with that H/K Citation 22? It seems to be a beast. I don't have much time with it yet, but it appears to be a pretty good one.

jocko
No, and I know little about it.

jt1stcav
11-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the Heresys, jocko. They're the little speakers that could (although they're not really that little, are they?).

jocko_nc
11-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I repaired the tweeter with help from Bob Crites. He is well known on the 'net and was very helpful.

I've had these crankin' for a couple of weeks now. Man, they are lively and loud. With some thumping bass, the sound is pretty good. But, man, are they loud.

jocko

jrhymeammo
11-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Now you gotta see if you can go find a SET Class A amp.

Happy hunting.