Best Films: 2000-2006 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Films: 2000-2006

PeruvianSkies
10-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I thought I would start a collection of my favorite films from the New Millenium thus far...So here they are...in no particular order....

THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE -incredibe b&w film by the Coen Brother's and easily one of their best films to date. Superb acting by Billy Bob and a beautiful soundtrack. Yes, I know the film wasn't technically b&w.

http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/wasntthere-thornton2.jpg

DONNIE DARKO -thought-provoking little gem that launched the career of Gyllenhaul and hopefully we will see more films from dir/writer Richard Kelly.

http://news.leoprieto.com/2006/04/donnie-darko-2.jpg

ALI -completely underrated amazing biopic starring Will Smith, who emboddied the role so incredibly well that after 5 minutes you forget it's Will Smith and really think Muhummad Ali is playing the role. It's not about looks, it's about the portrayal. This is one of Michael Mann's best films as well.

http://www.cineclub.de/images/2002/ali.ht3.jpg

MEMENTO -superb film that launched Christopher Nolan into success and it's great to see a filmmaker rise to a project like BATMAN BEGINS and do well with it.

http://www.offoffoff.com/film/2001/images/memento.jpg

IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE -awesome film from Wong Kar-Wai that just aches with beauty and sophistication. It's got one of the most sweepingly beautiful soundtracks available.

http://www.ocean-films.com/themoodforlove/secret/images/img_menu.jpg

THE HOURS -incredibly layered story that seems to be complex and simple at the same time, also an amazing score by Philip Glass.

http://www.follow-me-now.de/assets/images/The_Hours-1.jpg

FAR FROM HEAVEN -the 1950's melodrama comes alive by dir. Todd Haynes in such an amazing way that you would swear this was a film by Douglas Sirk (ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS) or Fassbinder's ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL.

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/far_from_heaven/01.jpeg

HOUSE OF THE FLYING DAGGERS -incredible on just about every level: acting, cinematography, set design, costume, action, set design, music, everything!

http://www.slashfilm.com/uploadedimages/flyingdaggers.jpg

MUNICH -Spielberg's greatest accomplishment career-wise with the exception of SCHINDLERS LIST. Magnificent film that gets better with each viewing! Incredible.

http://www.spybroken.com/bana/pics/film/munich/munich09.jpg

THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE -awesome film about Robert Evan's that manages to be just as poignant as it does fascinating. Without Evan's there would be no GODFATHER, ROSEMARY'S BABY, and many other important films of the late 60's and 70's.

http://www.vwlepaulski.com/Pics2/kid2.jpg

THE LAST SAMURAI -Tom Cruise hits another big score with this film making his 3rd film that is worthy of greatness (others include MAGNOLIA and EYES WIDE SHUT).

KILL BILL VOL. 1 and 2 -Doesn't get much better than this when it comes to digging up genres and styles and meshing them together in such a way that only Tarantino seems to be able to accomplish with both critical and commercial success.

FAHRENHEIT 911 -one of the most important documentaries made since 1974's HEARTS AND MINDS. Simply put this is a staggering realization of what the US is still dealing with.

FOG OF WAR -another incredible documentary with music by Philip Glass about the life of Robert McNamara and how we are essentially living in Vietnam pt. 2.

ONE HOUR PHOTO -Robin Wiliam's best film period. His portrayal is stunning. This little gem also has some thoughtful and deep moments as well.

WINDTALKERS -underrated war picture starring Nicolas Cage in an amazing performance and a film that just doesn't let up!

CECIL B. DEMENTED -this is for strange tastes indeed, or film geeks like myself who understand the subtle hints. Like PPP.

MASTER AND COMMANDER -Certainly a strong film for dir. Peter Weir that contains great action, but also complexity and atmosphere that some might get bored with, while others fully understand the intention of making you 'feel' like you are on a ship.

What are some of your favorites???

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, you've already mentioned some of my favourites (left as an exercise for the reader). A couple that I think you missed:

Hero -- wonderful use of almost monochromatic colour (per scene) for purely visual effect. Plus, it's a great story. Stories. Whatever.

Equilibrium -- basically, a comic book movie the way I like them -- plus, the concept of Gunkata makes for some brilliant moments. And in the opening scene, best use of black in any scene, ever. Plus, it's a great story of awakening.

Spirited Away -- easily my favourite animation, ever. Recommendable to anyone, of any age. Plus, it's a great coming-of-age story.

Mirrormask -- visual eye candy, again. Dave McKean art come to life. Plus, it's a great rendition of the classic doppelganger/alternate universe story.

Appleseed -- yet another visual eye candy film -- took anime to a new place for the first time. It's a classic story of warrior princess type finding her inner asskicker.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence -- even yet still another visual eye candy film -- the current state of the art in anime, as far as I am concerned. Story gets a little abstract, but gels with repeated viewings.

Night Watch (Nochnoy Dozor) -- gorgeous film, I've only seen it once, though. Will definitely require repeated viewings on my part -- I'm not sure I understand it. Deliciously dark, I can't wait for the sequel.

Saw and Saw II -- surprisingly good horror films. Just not like anything else I've seen, storywise.

Steamboy -- another wonderful anime with that sense of scale in its faux cinematography that I just don't see in live action films.

Avalon -- greatest use of special effects to the point of animation, mixed with live action, that I have seen. Very inventive storyline manages to convey through all the eye candy.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance -- another wonderfully black film (in story, not colour). The most artful framing since Kurosawa. But the topic material is going to put enough people off that he will never be recognized for what a great director he is.

Brotherhood of the Wolf -- a lot of fun fight scenes, I could watch Mark Dacascos all day. The storyline is sufficiently there to not ruin the film with its lack of existence, if that makes any sense (in other words, it's not just a bunch of fight scenes loosely tied together).

The Village -- I have a thing for redheads, okay? But even so, I think I fell in love with the character, not the actress, and that's M. Night Shamalayan's fault. His best movie since Sixth Sense.

2046 -- Kar Wai Wong's strengh is his ability to convey so much with so little dialog.

PeruvianSkies
10-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I probably missed those because I am not into Anime too much. I have only enjoyed 2 in my life....AKIRA and the one you mentioned APPLESEED. Both great. I thought that HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS was better than HERO, so that's why it made my list...I was trying to keep the list somewhat short without giving too much to 1 director, Tarantino's KILL BILL to me is one film split in half, which was his original intent. BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF was visually stimulating, but I felt it was a bit weak in the visual special effects. Thanks for the additions!

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2006, 03:52 AM
See Steamboy -- done by the same guy who did Akira.

I haven't seen House of Flying Daggers, but Hero was so different from any movie I had ever seen, that I had to include it.

And yes, I know, go see House of Flying Daggers -- it's on my list!

Smokey
10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
No Comic Book Superheros in your list?

Good choices, but the 2002 movie About Schmidt might also deserve a place in your top movies. Seeing kathy Bates naked is worth the whole experience :D

http://www.cinemavvenire.it/magazine/pic/1255a2.jpg

bobsticks
10-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Seeing kathy Bates naked is worth the whole experience :D
]

..uumm. Smokey, that's "puff, puff, pass". I think you forgot the last part.

I thought I was the only one that liked "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and "Equilibrium", although I would probably vote for "Munich". Maybe "master and Commander" in a pinch.

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I thought I was the only one that liked "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and "Equilibrium"...Dude! (high fives bobsticks)

SlumpBuster
10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Okay enough nominations for films, howzabaout some movies:

IMO its been a great time for big flashy starstudded blockbusters, the kind perfect for a friday night.

I, Robot - If will smith returns to blockbusters I will overlook Hitch.

The Incredibles - Made a guy with no kids (me) take a second look at kids movies.

Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky, Elizabethtown - Camrone Crow starting the decade of strong despite mixed reviews and muddled editing choices.

Despite recent events Tom Cruise was batting a thousand IMO until he fired his publisist:
With Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, Last Samuri, Collateral, War of the Worlds.

Misc Movies:

Italian Job, The Bourne Movies, Redeye, BATMAN BEGINS (to quote Uma in Pulp Fiction "I said G-d D-mn")

What about Big Budget Flops that I still really enjoyed: The Island and Sahara.

Oh, um howabout a few little movies called Gangs of New York and Cold Mountain and Road to Perdition, The Terminal and Castaway (Got on a Tom Hanks roll at the end there)

Okay, but you want some films, here's a couple that were ignored so far:

The Matador - Excellant. What can I say. I've been drinking margaritas ever since. Is it weird to think that Hope Davis is crazy hot?

Sideways - Perfection. Paul Giamatti is the finest actor of his generation.

Hey, howabout Hope Davis and Paul Giamattin in the same movie: American Splendor

United 93 - Totally overlooked despite the press.

Brokeback Mountain - Shut up! Its a great movie, ya philistines.

Eternal Sunshine - Duh!

The Quiet American - For those that know.

Okay, I'm spent. Good decade so far.

PeruvianSkies
10-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Dang. I know another one I forgot. ROAD TO PERDITION!

Dusty Chalk
11-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Cold Mountain sucked.

Sideways wasn't much better.

L.J.
11-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Cold Mountain sucked.

Great, I got that one sitting on the waiting to get watched shelf.

Dusty Chalk
11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Two more that come to mind:

Code 46 -- futuristic romantic drama starring Tim Robbins. Flew completely beneath the radar. Shouldn't have.

Cellular -- This is my kind of action movie. From the first moment 'til the climax, it's an adrenalin-driven roller coaster ride of action. I know it stars a "pretty boy", but don't let that put you off, it really is worth seeing.

halfadeck
12-01-2006, 12:27 AM
for visuals I really liked violet blue, sincity and lord of the rings. For good movies and great soundtracks hustle and flow, eightmile, and my favorite I am sam must see for a beatle fan. For plot secondhand lions, milliondollar baby, lucky number 7, and finding neverland I just really took to that movie. For action I liked pirates of the carribean, batman begins best comic book movie imo,and pearl harbor once you get pastlove story. For series deadwood and band of brothers a must have I couldn't stop watching it.Concert dvd's korn live on the other side and the zeppelin dvd it just proves why they are the greatest band ever. My all time top 5 and must own is brave heart, Lord of the rings, seven,snatch and boondock saints. Couple of cult following movies to see also are Fear and lothing in las vegas and army of darkness. Whew okay now I'm tired lol!

Worf101
12-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Cellular -- This is my kind of action movie. From the first moment 'til the climax, it's an adrenalin-driven roller coaster ride of action. I know it stars a "pretty boy", but don't let that put you off, it really is worth seeing.
I rented this piece of chite and it was so bad we didn't even finish it. Biggest waste of celluloid I've ever seen. I've read better written Mexican handbills and the acting, you can't even call it that.

Da Worfster

icarus
12-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Tsotsi is a powerfull movie about life in Africa, and good choice with Fog of War.

basite
12-01-2006, 11:41 AM
i've seen Tsotsi, never heard of it, but we saw it at home and it was pretty good, it gave you a real feeling of what's going on there, how people live there.
several other movies:
Sin City, it was great, the story was a little cliché, but who cares? the great use of colour accents, and the great quotes made it one of my favorites,
also,
Der Untergang (The Downfall in the americas), no words to explain this.
Lord of war was good too,
(and several others which are already mentioned, like road to perdition, kill bill, memento, ...) all seen them, very good ones.

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Smokey, we must be drink same dirty water. Honestly, I havent seen this thread before, and that was the same picture I had on my avator. And I think you also enjoyed The Adventure of Pluto Nash. This is kinda crazy..

JRA

No Comic Book Superheros in your list?

Good choices, but the 2002 movie About Schmidt might also deserve a place in your top movies. Seeing kathy Bates naked is worth the whole experience :D

http://www.cinemavvenire.it/magazine/pic/1255a2.jpg

Dusty Chalk
12-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Sorry you didn't like it, Worfster.

Smokey
12-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Smokey, we must be drink same dirty water. Honestly, I havent seen this thread before, and that was the same picture I had on my avator. And I think you also enjoyed The Adventure of Pluto Nash. This is kinda crazy..

JRA

But really, having picture of “naked” Kathy Bates in small avatar size doesn’t do justice to her since everything she got is big. The picture have to be wall poster size :D