Shaun of the Dead... what did you think? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shaun of the Dead... what did you think?

emorphien
10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Well I have my opinion but I want to find out if I'm the only one.

PeruvianSkies
10-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I think that they had ONE clever idea and thought that they could make a full-length feature out of it. That clever thought was the initial few scenes that showed just how similar people are in an ordinary world as they are if we were all zombies. The similarities were interesting, poignant, and even funny. After they exhausted that idea it was pretty much a 'where do we go from here?" type of film, which didn't pick up solid ground again until they played one of my all time favorite tunes "DON'T STOP ME NOW" by Queen.

topspeed
10-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I liked it. Zombies are generally always funny to me, especially in movies like Evil Dead or Army of Darkness. There were some genuinely LOL moments, such as when they are picking the right LP's to use to fling at the zombies heads. I dunno if I'd consider it a classic, but I've watched it more than once when it pops up on HBO or whatnot.

Dusty Chalk
10-28-2006, 10:50 PM
In the introduction to one of Steve Niles' books, there are two forwards -- one was the argument for fast zombies, the other was the argument for slow zombies.

Shaun... was a great sendup of horror movies of the zombie variety.

I especially liked scenes like the record-throwing scene; the two trains of people on "quests" passing each other; the very end, where ...uh... SPOILERS...uh, never mind, you know whut I mean.

kexodusc
10-29-2006, 05:05 AM
I liked his buddy, the fat guy who was into video games etc, Ed?
Great movie!!!

PeruvianSkies
10-29-2006, 01:55 PM
It seems like everyone who has posted thus far is pretty much in agreement and I would concur that the movie is good, but not great or classic-worthy.

Xoynx
10-30-2006, 05:14 AM
'Shaun' is my favorite film of all time. I could watch it continuously in an endless loop, and the soundtrack has some great songs.

Every objection I've ever read about 'Shaun' seems to be from those who don't otherwise appreciate the humour of British cinema/TV. If your idea of funny includes 'The Office' or 'Trainspotting', then this is the film for you; if you laugh more at fare such as 'The Dukes of Hazzard' or 'Seinfeld', stay far away.

RGA
10-30-2006, 05:20 AM
They did a great job of paying homage to George Romero -- George liked Shaun so much that he had both actors cameo in Land of the Dead.

Shaun works well doing the social commentary that Romero does. Instead of lampooning mindless shoppers (like the Original 1979 Dawn of the Dead) Shaun of the dead lampoons the mindless Britons at the local pubs. After all - where do they run away from zombies -- toward the beacon of salvation - the local watering hole. (Or commenting on video game players for those who have seen the movie)

There are some wonderfully cheese ball moments of humour. Walking the local grocery store passing by zombies without even looking. Brilliant bit that makes us look at how much we really notice people during our routines. The bit about blending in with the zombies was silly but gee not that bad of an idea.

I don't think it's wise to spoof a film like Dawn of the Dead (1979 not the remake) because Dawn was already a social satire. However, because the film is British they have their own take on things and can speak to a new audience. So in that it has a slice of brilliance.