FICUS for CONGRESS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FICUS for CONGRESS

PeruvianSkies
10-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Every high-end show that I have been to, or seen pictures from always uses trees next to their super expensive speakers, gear, etc. Obviously most of these shows are in Hotel like places where the room's are not ideal for sound, which always made me wonder why they set them up in those places anyway, but that's for another discussion I suppose. I almost have to laugh though because thousands of dollars are spent on simple little nuances, especially power compoents and then they plug the gear into the rooms cheap-o wall outlets that are being polluted by thousands of other things. Ok, back to the subject...

So what power does the Ficus plant have? Is it just a cool thing to have a plant next to your gear? I am sure that there are some acoustic merit involved, but what has everyones experience with plant-life been around your gear? Is it better than nothing? Does it make much difference? Can the plant's photosynthesis cause better sound?

Btw...does anyone happen to know where I took the title of this thread from? Bonus points if you know.

Feanor
10-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Every high-end show that I have been to, or seen pictures from always uses trees next to their super expensive speakers, gear, etc. Obviously most of these shows are in Hotel like places where the room's are not ideal for sound, which always made me wonder why they set them up in those places anyway, but that's for another discussion I suppose. I almost have to laugh though because thousands of dollars are spent on simple little nuances, especially power compoents and then they plug the gear into the rooms cheap-o wall outlets that are being polluted by thousands of other things. Ok, back to the subject...

So what power does the Ficus plant have? Is it just a cool thing to have a plant next to your gear? I am sure that there are some acoustic merit involved, but what has everyones experience with plant-life been around your gear? Is it better than nothing? Does it make much difference? Can the plant's photosynthesis cause better sound?

Btw...does anyone happen to know where I took the title of this thread from? Bonus points if you know.

I know why the ficus are used. They are sound defusers that break up the back waves when placed behind di- or bipolar speakers (such as Magneplars), or the first reflections from monopoles like your PSP when place against the side wall where the sound would relect.

In the latter case the effect is mainly to improve imaging; in the former it has the same effect plus it can prevent unpleasant distortion due to Dopler interaction between the front and rear waves.
:cornut:

bobsticks
10-29-2006, 05:30 AM
...um, didn't Michael Moore try and run a plant for a seat in Congress?

PeruvianSkies
10-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Congrats bobssticks....it's from an episode from THE AWFUL TRUTH w/ Moore. Good job! Extra bonus points for you!