Shut Up And Play...This Comp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shut Up And Play...This Comp

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Okay Mad, you wanted to know what I thought of this comp? Well....ya done real good, my friend!

This is a great collection of metal instrumentals that doesn't stop rocking from start to finish. There were only three tracks on here that I was familiar with (Iron Maiden, Porky Tree and Dream Theater) but the rest fit together so nicely that I was just able to sit back and feel right at home from first listen.

I'm not a big Metallica fan, but that stems mainly from not liking the vocals. So, it was great to hear a few Metallica tracks from just a musical point of view. In fact, one of my favourite tracks on this comp is To Live Is To Die. I love how the track begins with beautiful melodic guitar only to be trampled to death by the drums as it changes to hard core metal. I can almost envision an elephant trampling a beautiful song bird. As the melodic guitar returns again at the end of the song, it is quickly cut off by Dream Theater's The Dance of Eternity. I don't know if you intentionally put the DT following Metallica without a break in the tracks, but it just seems to fit in with the mood of the previous track beautifully. Definately one of my favourite moments on the disk.

I enjoyed the Kyuss tracks very much. I was a little surprised, as I remembered reading on this board recently, that members of Kyuss went on to form Queens of the Stoneage. Musically, I didn't see a big connection here and wouldn't have guessed that these two bands shared the same members.

The Death tracks were my least favourite on this disk. I've only listened to the disk once, so I haven't been able to pinpoint why these tracks just didn't do much for me. It's not that I didn't enjoy them, they just didn't strike me as the rest did. A few more listens could, of course, change that.

All in all this is an excellent CD. I listened to it as I was driving on the highway and it was the perfect setting for this music. It was real hard to keep to the speed limit with this baby in the player...so I didn't even try. You'll be receiving my speeding ticket in the mail soon. Please pay it promptly :D

Good job! You've set the comp-making bar pretty high for yourself. I hope that you can live up to it. ;)

FA

P.S. I'm just kidding about the speeding ticket. I was lucky that the cops seemed to be otherwise engaged. Whew!

mad rhetorik
02-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay Mad, you wanted to know what I thought of this comp? Well....ya done real good, my friend!

This is a great collection of metal instrumentals that doesn't stop rocking from start to finish. There were only three tracks on here that I was familiar with (Iron Maiden, Porky Tree and Dream Theater) but the rest fit together so nicely that I was just able to sit back and feel right at home from first listen.

I'm not a big Metallica fan, but that stems mainly from not liking the vocals. So, it was great to hear a few Metallica tracks from just a musical point of view. In fact, one of my favourite tracks on this comp is To Live Is To Die. I love how the track begins with beautiful melodic guitar only to be trampled to death by the drums as it changes to hard core metal. I can almost envision an elephant trampling a beautiful song bird. As the melodic guitar returns again at the end of the song, it is quickly cut off by Dream Theater's The Dance of Eternity. I don't know if you intentionally put the DT following Metallica without a break in the tracks, but it just seems to fit in with the mood of the previous track beautifully. Definately one of my favourite moments on the disk.

I enjoyed the Kyuss tracks very much. I was a little surprised, as I remembered reading on this board recently, that members of Kyuss went on to form Queens of the Stoneage. Musically, I didn't see a big connection here and wouldn't have guessed that these two bands shared the same members.

The Death tracks were my least favourite on this disk. I've only listened to the disk once, so I haven't been able to pinpoint why these tracks just didn't do much for me. It's not that I didn't enjoy them, they just didn't strike me as the rest did. A few more listens could, of course, change that.

All in all this is an excellent CD. I listened to it as I was driving on the highway and it was the perfect setting for this music. It was real hard to keep to the speed limit with this baby in the player...so I didn't even try. You'll be receiving my speeding ticket in the mail soon. Please pay it promptly :D

Good job! You've set the comp-making bar pretty high for yourself. I hope that you can live up to it. ;)

FA

P.S. I'm just kidding about the speeding ticket. I was lucky that the cops seemed to be otherwise engaged. Whew!

I'm glad you dug it! I spent quite a bit of time trying to make the album "flow" from track to track. I ended up being more or less pleased with the result, except for the last minute or so of "Triad" which is pure silence. If I could've cut that last minute out, and put Faith No More's "Woodpecker From Mars" on there it would've been perfect but it wouldn't have fit, soooo...

BTW, I apologize for the lack of cover art. The picture I had in mind wouldn't work, and I wanted to get the comp out reasonably quickly to you and Finchy. My future comps, should I make more, will have cover art of some form or another. Gives it that finishing touch.

Kyuss is definitely very different-sounding from Queens Of The Stone Age. Heavier (I think they have the guitar tuned to drop-C) and more "stoner" sounding, sounding almost like Black Sabbath if they hailed from Arizona and did a lot more drugs : ) . John Garcia replaces Josh Homme on lead vocals. Way more gravelly-voiced singer. I dig Kyuss, and if you are a fan of old 'Sabbath or just want straight-up excellent metal I would pick up <b>Blues For The Red Sun</b> and <b>Welcome To Sky Valley</b> right away. Good sh-t.

Out of curiousity...<i>just how fast were you driving, you crazy Canook??????</i>

; P