No OSD when viewing anything higher that s-vid? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : No OSD when viewing anything higher that s-vid?

nightflier
10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I always thought that my Outlaw's inability to display the on-screen setup menu when viewing component or higher video was a fluke of the unit and was probably available with other units. Actually not of my HK receivers could do this either, but again I dismissed this as a HK anomally. But it seems to be pretty much industry standard. If you're viewing any programming other that component or s-vid, there is no way to see the menu. Is this true for all receivers & pre/pros? If so, is this another copy protection irritation we have to put up with?

N. Abstentia
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
It's true of all A/V receivers I've seen, not to say there are some that might do it..I've just never seen it.

I remember reading that it had to to with too much signal degradation more than anything.

Woochifer
10-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Very common with older receivers and processors including mine, but certainly not a universal case nowadays. I believe that the Yamahas have had the OSD with the component vid outputs for at least the last three revision cycles. Not sure if this includes their HDMI-upconverting models.

paul_pci
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, my RX-V3300 displays the OSD through component.

nightflier
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Do the Yamahas have OSD when the HDMI/DVI output is in use?