what do you think would happen.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what do you think would happen....

pwh03
02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
if I wired my klipsch computer speakers to my home audio amp... I obviously wouln't be able to use the sub that goes with them.... or atleast it would be harder to be set up. but they wire with normal speaker wire... except that the end that goes into the speaker has been changed into a single plug... but thats no problem. the one speaker also is wired to provide you with control of the volume and the sub (sub acts as and amp for the speakers) but if thats not connected to the sub I don't think it would have any effect what do you think thanks..

I can't see why this wouldn't work but thought I would ask to see what you thought

ps if you think there would be a way to add the sub in to that would be even better but more worried about he speakers... (just to let you know they would only be surround speakers.) thanks

Mr Peabody
02-08-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm not really familiar with your particular set of speakers but I think they would eventually blow. Even as surround. If you set the rear speaker setting to small and you don't play movies very loud, they may survive. The computer speakers I've seen just don't seem to be made to handle a lot of power. I am assuming there is a big difference between the little amp in the computer sub and your receivers amp section.

pwh03
02-08-2004, 09:41 PM
well what kplisch does is they turn their home audio equipment into computer speakers (eventually) my friend has the same exact speakers for home audio.. but he bought them for that purpose not set up as computer speakers like mine. I didn't know if perhaps there would be a difference in the speakers that you couold not see from the exterior.

(he(my friend) runs a good system to b&W floors solid amp pioneer gold cd player.. I just don't want to sound like a lot of people that talk about how there friend has this and that and it was the best thing ever hehe.. )

here are my speakes. http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?prodID=1 for the computer

there home audio version are ksb 1.1 there not horrible speakers.. they usually go for 100-200. there not anything out of this wold but I know most people cringe when they hear computer speaker.

not sure if this changes anything
thanks
Ph

This Guy
02-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I'd say you're safe connecting it to your receiver. I just don't see how you're gonna connect two speaker wires into the single plug on the speaker. If you can make it work without shorting the amp your fine.

-Joey

Kursun
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't try doing what you have on your mind. Computer speaker plugs are very easy to short.

pwh03
02-10-2004, 06:32 AM
the wire is already set up for that the two wires that come out of the sub not are just normal speaker wire left and right, they just go into a plug at th end I guess kinda like a banana plug... make sense?

Kursun
02-10-2004, 09:51 AM
the wire is already set up for that the two wires that come out of the sub not are just normal speaker wire left and right, they just go into a plug at th end I guess kinda like a banana plug... make sense?I guess you have one sub with all the amplification (for the sub itself, plus left and right speakers), plus a pair of passive speakers. The speakers probably have wires ended with RCA type plugs
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/240-020m.jpg Home hi-fi equipment use such plugs for line level signals, not for speakers. You may make some adapters to connect them to your receiver, but it's risky and not worth it.

pwh03
02-11-2004, 06:17 PM
I guess you have one sub with all the amplification (for the sub itself, plus left and right speakers), plus a pair of passive speakers. The speakers probably have wires ended with RCA type plugs
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/240-020m.jpg Home hi-fi equipment use such plugs for line level signals, not for speakers. You may make some adapters to connect them to your receiver, but it's risky and not worth it.

nope no rcas hehe I'm not that new. ok the sub holds the amp for the speakers and the sub yes. then out of the back of the sub is a normal speaker out just like you would see on any reciever or amp left and right channel red and black.... the speaker wires comes out of that and is merged into one wire with one plug on the end of it that plugs into the back of the speaker.. beacuse the speakers are designed from coputers there is no need for left and right channels. but I mainly only listen to music so I'm not all that concerned... of course it would be nice but no big deal. is that more clear

markw
02-12-2004, 04:03 AM
1) somehow find an adapter to allow you to get two leads per speaker, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping to find one.

2) cut the wire and separate the speaker wires.

3) simply run with the sub as part of the surround system. It probably blocks bass from getting to the satellites anyhow. This is the only option that seems to make sense.

Sounds like you really, really wanna do this..... and want validation that it's a good idea.

I've often wondered why people ask advice and, when they don't get the answer they want, keep asking until they do.

pwh03
02-12-2004, 08:07 AM
ok ok.. I hear you just wasn't exactly making sense why it wouldn't work the reasons that were given didn't seem to show a full understanding of the situation... It would just be much easier for me to use the surrounds I already have then to buy new surrounds plus the sub I need thats all. Last time I checked my college didn't offer me any money to put together a better sound system but I'll ask again or let me know if you find anything

I also hope you realize the I have no intention for using the sub in my system all I want to use is the satalites