Universal DVD Player* and 6000+ miles away [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Universal DVD Player* and 6000+ miles away

misterq4u
10-26-2006, 06:12 AM
I was around Asia, and when I least expected, boom!!! there it was!
a beautiful and wonderful

Pioneer DV-696AV.

$139.00 was the price, nothing more nothing less.

Formats: Who cares for HDCD* decoding anyways, when you have SACD and DVD-Audio with HDMI already?

Video Processor: I did not buy this for video enjoyment, but it puts the Oppo out of the race on picture quality and speed. 12bit 108Mhz

Even the audio processing on this unit is remarkable, it managed to squeeze more detail out of the same CDs that have listened to already Amazing!

Tools: In case your TV is challenged on the calibration department or your receiver/amp o the Pio offers a comprehensive list of tools. AVphile kinda tools.

My setup choice: HDMI link to Onkyo 803
Provides me with:
DVD-Audio, 1080i switching and everything else except SACD (still analog).
This is not an issue since the Onkyo automatically handles what is coming in and tells me wheter is analog or digital, smart one!.

I am sad to inform you that this awesome machine is not being released on the US of A at the time of this write up. If you want the same prowess and feature set, you are forced to shell out at least $200 more. Hope that help anyone contemplating to buy the unit.
As of the time of this write up, there are no other reviews from US of A owners.

++repst

PeruvianSkies
10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the point of your post is. Are you just happy that you saved money and wanted to gloat or are you trying to entice others to want this machine? I have imported all sorts of stuff into the US from DVD players to SACD's and I doubt it would be difficult to find that machine reasonably priced from inside the US border. I agree that outside the US everyone gets 'slighly better' things when it comes to audio and video, thus the reason I have to import stuff. I think that other countries have higher expectations in the mass market for quality, such as the PAL format, which produces better resolution and people in Europe are much more accustomed to better picture quality than in the US for regular TV.

Anyway, just wasn't sure what the intent was....

misterq4u
10-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Actually, a little of everything you mentioned. Also open up the floor to questions from anyone that may be interested on the particular item or combination of items. Over at the AVSForum site there was complaints from users that could not find any info on the unit, so I decided to post here to share. And yes, a bit of gloat.

pikers
10-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually, a little of everything you mentioned. Also open up the floor to questions from anyone that may be interested on the particular item or combination of items. Over at the AVSForum site there was complaints from users that could not find any info on the unit, so I decided to post here to share. And yes, a bit of gloat.

Right; a preface to a sale attempt.