Poll Best Gangster 30's and 40's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll Best Gangster 30's and 40's

Worf101
10-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Film gangsters existed BEFORE Micheal Corleone and Tony Montana. I'm taking them by era so's we can git our licks in in detail.

Da Worfster

Kam
10-26-2006, 05:59 AM
yeah see.... i voted for white heat see... got that copper...

Worf101
10-26-2006, 08:16 AM
I voted for Robinson's "Rico". That role is the most parodied in movie history. We've all done out best Edward G. And what I find fascinating is that Robinson and Bogart were very progressive men and fought McCarthy at every turn. Robinson gets kudos for breaking out of this stereotype to make great, great films, that didn't require him to carry a gun.

Da Worfster

Kam
10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
I voted for Robinson's "Rico". That role is the most parodied in movie history. We've all done out best Edward G. And what I find fascinating is that Robinson and Bogart were very progressive men and fought McCarthy at every turn. Robinson gets kudos for breaking out of this stereotype to make great, great films, that didn't require him to carry a gun.

Da Worfster

Strangely enough i always quote edward g. from the 10 Commandments. it always struck as me as rather odd that a gangster could be found so easily in ancient egypt. one of the strangest castings but just kinda worked in its own way. "Where are we going? Do you know where we're going? anyone know where we're going?"

GMichael
10-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I voted for Scarface. I just loved that movie.

Dusty Chalk
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I've seen exactly zero of those movies.

Resident Loser
10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
...Hard one to call...Cagney? Bogart? Edward G.?...all classics...

My wife would probably vote for Richard Widmark in Kiss Of Death...she claims the wheelchair/stairway scene still freaks her out whenever such topics arise in conversation...And while she's a huge fan of Cagney, it's six of one, half-dozen of t'other for his song and dance films...

Some of Bogie's best work...Casablanca...The Maltese Falcon...The African Queen...weren't really gangster flicks...

So I'd guess the nod goes to Rico...after all, spanning millennia, even in The Ten Commandments, Dathan was an nasty, underhanded, duplicitous character...

jimHJJ(...n'yeah, see...)

Smokey
10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Robinson gets kudos for breaking out of this stereotype to make great, great films, that didn't require him to carry a gun.

Da Worfster

I agree with you there Worf. And the 1942 movie Larceny, Inc. prove your point. It is a comedy/gangster movie where Robinson buy a luggage store to rob the bank next door (by digging into it from the store). But customers keep showing up wanting to buy luggage and intrupting his hole digging. It is pretty hilarious :D

jrhymeammo
10-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I enjoy drinking 40s while listening to Gang Starr, Gifted Unlimited Rhyming Universal. Y'all dont know!! Do you? Ta Hell with it, cuz hiphop isn't considered music by anyone here.

ps. I really dont care to drink beer or malt at all. Just couldnt help myself

Peace.

Worf101
10-27-2006, 04:10 AM
I enjoy drinking 40s while listening to Gang Starr, Gifted Unlimited Rhyming Universal. Y'all dont know!! Do you? Ta Hell with it, cuz hiphop isn't considered music by anyone here.

ps. I really dont care to drink beer or malt at all. Just couldnt help myself

Peace.
If you hang around here long enough you'll realize that all the nut-cases round here love a good joke. Long as its all in fun..

Da Worfster

Worf101
10-27-2006, 04:16 AM
I've seen exactly zero of those movies.
Remember a couple of weeks back when I said I was "glad to see you" and all that stuff...

Errrr. fuggedaboutit....

Get they to a Blockbusterand start catchin' up on some of these gangster classics lest ye be expelled again from here and banished forever to Movie Munchkin Land. Sir Terrible would be so dissappointed in ya...

LOL. Actually you should do yourself a fave and see some of these classic gangster films...

Da Worfster

Kam
10-27-2006, 05:25 AM
LOL. Actually you should do yourself a fave and see some of these classic gangster films...

Da Worfster

what he meant to say was...

"mmyeah see... see them see... mmyeah see...."