First thread on the new Forum [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First thread on the new Forum

trollgirl
11-12-2003, 04:18 AM
So what do you think? I'm not sure I like it...

Laz

hifitommy
11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
i like the notification feature, as long as it isnt the topic notification like another booard. aa notifies you of only the post that was answered, not if just ANY post in the subject was answered.

...regards...tr

bturk667
11-12-2003, 10:05 AM
So what do you think? I'm not sure I like it...

Laz I know I don't like it, as least not initially. This is definetly going to takes some time to get used to.

FLZapped
11-12-2003, 10:25 AM
:( ..................

Chris
11-12-2003, 02:18 PM
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of course, I'm biased because I couldn't stand the old forums from an administrator's point of view :)

Hang in there guys. Give it some time and I know it will grow on you. You've got so much more power to be heard here in this new system. Take advantage of it. Fill out your profile. Play with the features. Turn things on and off in your options and try the different viewing options (threaded, linear, hybrid). See what features you can benefit from. Hell, just being able to email and send other users private messages is a huge plus over the old system.

mtrycrafts
11-13-2003, 09:04 PM
I know I don't like it, as least not initially. This is definetly going to takes some time to get used to.

Yep, a tight shoe needs lots of break in

Woochifer
11-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Been posting a couple of days and I'm starting to really like the new setup. The only thing I don't like is that all new responses bump the thread up to the up, and you can't look at the threads unless you open the topic.

The private messaging, profiles, and ability to edit or delete messages are all pluses.

F1
11-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Ditto
I wish I could view all the threads in one page as in the previous setup so one can see threads responses easily without opening them. The rest is fine with me.

botski
11-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Yuck. Another great site I used to frequent (pcgamereview.com) turned to this format, and it appears that the number of reviews has dropped.

Reading this eyesore gives me a clue as to why :

http://www.pcgamereview.com/PC%20Games%20Action/TalonSoft/PRD_82306_1451crx.aspx

Again, yuck.

pctower
11-15-2003, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=FLZapped]:( ..................[/QUOT

You guys trying to sneak out and get away from me by hiding over here?

Bill L
11-16-2003, 07:01 AM
I'll have to work on my multi-tasking. Searching various threads for who wants to argue a point just got tougher! That's what keeps this forum interesting. After all, whether we admit to it or not, we've already passed judgement on cables (while maintaining an open mind of course!) and banter is the attraction here. Will the new format affect participation? I'm going to say yes. Those sometimes provocative titles and at-a-glance threads made it fun and easy to follow. Now? We'll see . . .

pctower
11-16-2003, 10:27 AM
This format is a pain in the behind and gives me a headache.

Seems to me the other format just needed a little fine tuning. I don't think I'll ever get used to this format.

They obviously tried to introduce a number of enhancements, but the basic format is so clumsy and counter-intuitive I think they have made a huge mistake.

Bill L
11-16-2003, 02:17 PM
after the last post. Makes things at least a little easier to follow.

FLZapped
11-18-2003, 05:46 AM
:( ..................

You guys trying to sneak out and get away from me by hiding over here?

Not intentionally, it's this pitiful format. No matter what I tell it, it won't do what I ask. BTW - I deleted my profile at AA.....

-Bruce

FLZapped
11-18-2003, 05:50 AM
you can't look at the threads unless you open the topic.

This is a major pain because it adds extra steps in browsing the forums. Chris, for whatever reason, can't understand this. Makes the whole thing clumsy and inefficient.

Who needs features if the basic functionality is clumsy.

-Bruce

jneutron
11-18-2003, 06:11 AM
I don't mind it so much..The problem I see is that it is very difficult to maintain focus on the topic. In the old tree display, it was obvious which threads had which topics, as they branch..This format requires jumping past a coupla floobydust posts to get back to someone who is discussing the meat.

Cheers, John

pctower
11-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Not intentionally, it's this pitiful format. No matter what I tell it, it won't do what I ask. BTW - I deleted my profile at AA.....

-Bruce
Well it's too bad that another voice of reason is gone from AA, but they don't want anything other than the party line over there. I had hope for a while and then just gave up and deleted my profile as well.

I wish I could get comfortable with this format, but even with the hybrid or thread option, I feel like I'm trapped and can't easily get around a thread or from one thread to another. It feels awkward, and that detracts a lot from my enjoyment.

Not sure what I'll do, as the AR cable form was my last hangout. I've tried some of the others like DIYAudio and just couldn't warm up to them.

jneutron
11-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Well it's too bad that another voice of reason is gone from AA, but they don't want anything other than the party line over there. I had hope for a while and then just gave up and deleted my profile as well.

I wish I could get comfortable with this format, but even with the hybrid or thread option, I feel like I'm trapped and can't easily get around a thread or from one thread to another. It feels awkward, and that detracts a lot from my enjoyment.

Not sure what I'll do, as the AR cable form was my last hangout. I've tried some of the others like DIYAudio and just couldn't warm up to them.

Hi Phil..

I'm still active there, but see less and less reasoning as months go by..although the latest JR posts have created within me a sudden clarity with respect to his viewpoints and strange theories. One of those upside the head moments.

I've seen the linear for a while at diy, and it does take getting used to.

What I'm dissapointed with is the dismally small window that opens with the thread option..it makes it hard once the thread is over 10 posts long. I feel like I have some masking tape over the top and bottom of the monitor. At least, you can continue the thread by clicking the reply feature under a post..I didn't realize that before, so didn't realize the feature..

Uh oh, does that mean I should actually read the instructions? I'm a guy, and everybody knows we have a genetic predisposition to not doing that, nor asking for directions or reading maps..

You hittin NYC soon?

Cheers, John

FLZapped
11-20-2003, 10:39 AM

Hi Phil,

Personally, I think it reflects badly on Rod, who is ultimately responsible for how AA operates. Jon and Ted took to the tactic of erasing my posts and then preventing me from answering to the thread again, so I couldn't just repost the answer. Then Ted accused me of not having a valid email address registered there: and then proceded to email me at my registered address. Go figure. I emailed Rod and answered Ted. After an extended period of no replies, I deleted the account. It was clear that the wagons were circled.

It's truely a shame that the moderators there cannot keep their own political agenda seperated from their moderating duties. It's even worse that Rod chose to turn a blind eye.

Steve Eddy has apparently doesn't go there any longer either, although he still must have his account active, because all his posts now have the DIY Audio banner in them. He must have inserted that image as his signature or something.

I hate this format. It's pitiful. :mad:

-Bruce