Playstation 2 Controllers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 Controllers

L.J.
10-25-2006, 01:03 PM
My PS2 controllers don't last very long at all. I've been through quite a few over the years. I've been taking the broken ones apart and fixing other ones using the spare parts but this only lasts for so long. I only have one functioning controller now and this one is starting to give in also. I like to play games with my kid so I'm due for two new controllers. At $20 a pop, this is getting on my nerves.

Anybody else have this problem? I should note that my PS2 is used daily. But I also have a PS1 & Dreamcast that are used on a regular basis and I've never had to replace the controller on either of them.

I was also wondering has anybody used any wireless controllers with there PS2 and are they any good?

topspeed
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey LJ,

I've had the same controllers since I bought the PS2 when they first came out. Outside of one of them wanting to drift with the left stick, they've been surprisingly durable. Just the other day I had to scrub the heck out of them to get whateverthehellitwas my kids got all over them and they still worked fine. Now, I don't use mine daily as you do, but you gotta figure they have hundreds and hundreds of hours on 'em after all these years. Maybe you just have hands like The Thing? ;)

We bought Pelican wireless controllers from Costco last year and they suck. They swallow batteries whole and the stick movement isn't nearly as accurate as with the normal PS controllers. For FPS games, my fave, they simply didn't return the accuracy needed. YMMV.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

L.J.
10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Hey LJ,

I've had the same controllers since I bought the PS2 when they first came out. Outside of one of them wanting to drift with the left stick, they've been surprisingly durable. Just the other day I had to scrub the heck out of them to get whateverthehellitwas my kids got all over them and they still worked fine. Now, I don't use mine daily as you do, but you gotta figure they have hundreds and hundreds of hours on 'em after all these years. Maybe you just have hands like The Thing? ;)

We bought Pelican wireless controllers from Costco last year and they suck. They swallow batteries whole and the stick movement isn't nearly as accurate as with the normal PS controllers. For FPS games, my fave, they simply didn't return the accuracy needed. YMMV.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Thanks TS,

I've never heard anything good about the wireless. I was hoping that things have gotten better over the years.

Yeah, I dont get it. I've never had to replace any controllers on any of my other game consoles. We even pull out the old Nintendo every now and then and play some Duck Hunt. Gun and controllers still work fine. :confused5:

kexodusc
10-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Ahh, the ol' broken PS2 controller routine...Yeah right LJ. Good one...fess up, your boy's just pummelin' ya at Madden again, isn't he?:ciappa:

L.J.
10-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Ahh, the ol' broken PS2 controller routine...Yeah right LJ. Good one...fess up, your boy's just pummelin' ya at Madden again, isn't he?:ciappa:

In a few years maybe (and that's a big MAYBE). He's only 7 and actually gets a score in every now and then. He can give me a run for my money on Dragon Ball Z 3 though.

basite
10-26-2006, 09:52 AM
never had that problem with our psx (playstation 1), i knew nothing about those things then, but the controllers were threated even worse then the prisoners in guatemala, we hit them, smashed them, they fell from reasonably high heigths, were used as things to hit eachother,
and then there was the playstation itselves, we assumed (we had copied games, they stuck quite sometimes) and we assumed that when it stopped working you needed to give a little tick on it (which became a really hard tick later on) and believe me or not, sometimes (not always) it worked, now, ofcourse it had somthing to do with the disc itselves, but anyways, it was threaded like crap

maybe you're just an unlucky one who seems to pick out the malfunctioning controllers...
keep on trying, and good luck

Basite.