B&w 703 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&w 703

Mike Lambdin
10-25-2006, 05:42 AM
I'm planning an entirely new system and recently listened to the B&W 703s. I listened to them via several integrated amps but the two amps I was considering for purchase (Music Hall A25.2 or Rotel RA-1062) weren't available for a demo. One amp is a 50 watt the other a 60 watt. I don't turn up the volume to a level were one's ears bleed, rather you could converse with someone...if sitting next to you. My question: Would either one of these amps be capable of driving the 703s and give me a full range of sound?
Thoughts and info is most appreciated.

basite
10-25-2006, 06:35 AM
don't know anything about the music hall, but, the rotel would satisfy you, and it has a pre out, so if you want to add more power (a power amp or something like that) you don't have to buy a new int amp or a preamp.

normally (when not played too loud), the rotel should do fine.
they're high current amps, they will blow away a low current 150watt amp easily...

Good luck

Basite.

topspeed
10-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Either amp will be plenty. The 703's are pretty efficient and their redesigned motor structure (over the previous CDMNT's) make them an easier drive. IOW, their impedence swings don't present the same rollercoaster ride to the amp that the previous gen did.

It's surprising the dealer didn't have that Rotel on hand as B&W and Rotel share the same distributor making it darn near impossible to find one that doesn't have both makes. Nevertheless, you should audition the speakers with both and see which sounds better to you. The 10wpc difference won't be noticeable. Remember, it takes twice the wattage for a 3dB increase, which is barely audible.

Mike Lambdin
10-25-2006, 09:09 AM
don't know anything about the music hall, but, the rotel would satisfy you, and it has a pre out, so if you want to add more power (a power amp or something like that) you don't have to buy a new int amp or a preamp.

normally (when not played too loud), the rotel should do fine.
they're high current amps, they will blow away a low current 150watt amp easily...

Good luck

Basite.

Basite, thanks for the input. I wasn't aware that the Rotel was a high current device. Others have told me that the Rotel and Music Hall are very similar, as far as sound quality goes. I'm hoping to get a chance to compare the 2 some time soon.

basite
10-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Basite, thanks for the input. I wasn't aware that the Rotel was a high current device. Others have told me that the Rotel and Music Hall are very similar, as far as sound quality goes. I'm hoping to get a chance to compare the 2 some time soon.

i think both are high current, most likely actually, but i never heard the music hall, so i could only tell you about the rotel
anyways, good luck,
B&W and rotel matches perfectly, just like they were made to work together (they are a little) but you must take a chance to hear them both, if possible, in the same room, with the same speakers,

Good luck,

Basite.

Mike Lambdin
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Either amp will be plenty. The 703's are pretty efficient and their redesigned motor structure (over the previous CDMNT's) make them an easier drive. IOW, their impedence swings don't present the same rollercoaster ride to the amp that the previous gen did.

I knew the 703s were efficient - 91dB, I believe - but I wasn't aware they were that different from the previous model.

It's surprising the dealer didn't have that Rotel on hand as B&W and Rotel share the same distributor making it darn near impossible to find one that doesn't have both makes. Nevertheless, you should audition the speakers with both and see which sounds better to you. The 10wpc difference won't be noticeable. Remember, it takes twice the wattage for a 3dB increase, which is barely audible.

Actually, the dealer did have a 1062, but another customer was listening to it - I listened to the speakers via a more powerful Rotel. It was very impressive...but I am looking for a lower wattage amp and was wondering how well it would do driving these speakers. I'll be returning for a listen.

paul_pci
10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
To get the most detail out of lower volume listening you do want to go with a quality amp. But as others have said, the B*Ws are pretty efficient. I auditioned the 705s one time and the guy switched them from B&K components to a higher end Yamaha receiver and I barely noticed a difference.

Mike Lambdin
10-26-2006, 04:13 AM
To get the most detail out of lower volume listening you do want to go with a quality amp. But as others have said, the B*Ws are pretty efficient. I auditioned the 705s one time and the guy switched them from B&K components to a higher end Yamaha receiver and I barely noticed a difference.

I have a 90 watt Yamaha int/amp attached to Polk and JBL speakers (depending on what type of music I'm listening to). My equipment varies in age (2 - 15 years old) and I wanted to start fresh. The B&W 703s sound great regardless of the style of music. I don't need 90 watts so I decided to buy a lower power but better sounding amp.

bobsticks
10-26-2006, 05:25 AM
Just a quick message to reaffirm what others have said. I'm using Rotel with Martin Logans and they sing. My audio pusher carries the full line of Rotel and B&Ws and they do, in fact, make a fine match to these ears. Good luck and have fun.

PeruvianSkies
10-26-2006, 06:19 PM
bobsticks...when do we get some pictures of your setup?

Mike Lambdin
10-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Just a quick message to reaffirm what others have said. I'm using Rotel with Martin Logans and they sing. My audio pusher carries the full line of Rotel and B&Ws and they do, in fact, make a fine match to these ears. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the input, bobsticks.
The dealer I go to also carries Rotel and B&W, along with Music Hall. I was there last night and was able to listen to the 703s through both the Rotel and Music Hall amp/cd player combo. Both sounded marvelous and these old ears couldn't hear any difference between the two. I did, though, chose the Music Hall 25.2 equipment.

bobsticks
10-27-2006, 05:39 AM
bobsticks...when do we get some pictures of your setup?

You know , that's a good question. I've been holding out until I picked up the new center channel so as to present the "complete" version. With everything that's been going on with my family, all the travel, and a few extra work projects I've really let home fall by the wayside. This weekend will be the first in almost a month that I have had totally free.
I got the impression the last time that I phoned my audio crew (and talked to one of the part timers) that maybe one of the Cinema series had come in and been sold disregarding my preorder. I don't want the little, whatever-it-is version that they sell at BB, so I have been refraining as I prefer to purchase locally rather than e-bay. I'll have time to stop by this weekend and pick one up if they have it on premises.
Of course the next hurdle is to acquire a digital camera and teach myself to use it. I usually resolve these problems by dating much younger (and technically proficient) women, but I'm currently single so I'm sure there will be a certain level of chaos associated with that project.
Keep yer fingers crossed for me, eh...

Hey Mike,
Congrats! I'm sure that the Music Hall will get you where you want to go. Do report back on your findings.

Cheers

Mike Lambdin
10-27-2006, 09:14 AM
I usually resolve these problems by dating much younger (and technically proficient) women, but I'm currently single so I'm sure there will be a certain level of chaos associated with that project.
Keep yer fingers crossed for me, eh...

Hey Mike,
Congrats! I'm sure that the Music Hall will get you where you want to go. Do report back on your findings.

Cheers

Congratulationes (?), bob, on being single - I've been there and it was a very relaxed period in life. Enough of that. Your input was most appreciated and my fingers are crossed for you. Keep us posted as to how that camera works.