Adding a sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adding a sub

calegrant
10-24-2006, 09:02 PM
I've got my Rega brio3 powering my B&W 601's and the sound is great. Really a world above my previous set-up but being bookshelves they've really lacking on the bass. I would like to add a sub which I will be building using a TANG BAND 6.5 woofer and dayton 100w amp. It'll be my first homemade speaker and I think it's an excellent starting point. Only problem I'm worried about is hooking it up. My current amp only has two speaker outputs and inputs for the various sources. What kind of loss in sound quality will I see if i run lines from the amp to the sub then the speakers from the amp? Or is there a more accoustically appealing way of doing this?

kexodusc
10-25-2006, 04:00 AM
I've got my Rega brio3 powering my B&W 601's and the sound is great. Really a world above my previous set-up but being bookshelves they've really lacking on the bass. I would like to add a sub which I will be building using a TANG BAND 6.5 woofer and dayton 100w amp. It'll be my first homemade speaker and I think it's an excellent starting point. Only problem I'm worried about is hooking it up. My current amp only has two speaker outputs and inputs for the various sources. What kind of loss in sound quality will I see if i run lines from the amp to the sub then the speakers from the amp? Or is there a more accoustically appealing way of doing this?

Not 100% sure, but what's the "tape output" on the back of that amp? Is it a pre-out? If it runs simultaneously with the input source (CD) for example, try running rca's from the tape out to the sub's plate amp.
otherwise you can run some speaker wire parallel to the plate amps high level inputs.

basite
10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
the tape out is ment to run to the line in of the tape (cassette) recorder, basically seen it's somekind of a pre out, but i guess the inpendance is different...
if it works, it can be a bit inpractical, but if it works, who cares??

Greetings,
Basite.

Rock789
10-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I thought the tape out was only a pass thru of the preamp...
that is. the volume control of the preamp will not change the level in the tape out rca's...
(don't want to be recording a tape and the recorded volume is constantly changing due to someone messing with the preamp's volume)

if I'm wrong, oh well :sleep:

bfalls
10-26-2006, 07:02 AM
Just being curious, why did you decide on a 6.5" driver for your sub design? You currently have two 6.5" woofers in your 601s and they don't provide enough bass for you. Are you looking for lower bass, or just more output in the current range (the 601s are -6db @ 48Hz) You may be able to design in a few more Hz using a larger box, but why compromise overall range and output using what is essentially a midrange, or upper bass sized driver? Even Bose calls their 6.5" boxes "bass modules" not subwoofers because of their limited low-end range. I noticed from a google search, this driver is used essentially for car audio. Will this be a multi-purpose su---bass module?

basite
10-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I thought the tape out was only a pass thru of the preamp...
that is. the volume control of the preamp will not change the level in the tape out rca's...
(don't want to be recording a tape and the recorded volume is constantly changing due to someone messing with the preamp's volume)

if I'm wrong, oh well :sleep:

nope, you're right, forgot the volume thing,
don't try the tape thing, it won't work, it will or: do nothing at all
or blow you thru the nearest wall... please don't try...

Rock789
10-26-2006, 11:40 AM
if the preamp can handle the impdeance ... get an rca splitter?

I have done this in my hs & college days to run a single signal to several amps...

due to the lower impedance the preamp will see, distortation or signal clipping is a possibility...
(I never noticed a problem with party speakers... hehe)

by rca splitter... the ones I am talking about are rca "y-connectors" from radioshack...