Why is called 2.0 HT systems.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why is called 2.0 HT systems....

swwdts
10-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Why is it called 2.0 HT sound when,it is 3 speakers.It should have been called 2.1.Otherwise 5.1 is 5.0????

Jim Clark
10-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Why is it called 2.0 HT sound when,it is 3 speakers.It should have been called 2.1.Otherwise 5.1 is 5.0????

Why is what called 2.0 HT sound? I'm not really clear on what you are asking.

If you're talking about two speakers and a sub I suspect it would have to do with sub connections. The .1 is a dedicated LFE channel, however if the set up uses a speaker level connection then there is no LFE channel and would in fact be considered a 2.0 system.

jc

Dusty Chalk
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Maybe because the source doesn't have a separate channel for the bass.

BTW, who is it that calls it 2.0 HT?

PeruvianSkies
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I have no clue what you are asking exactly, so I'll just re-define everything...

1.0 - a mono signal coming from only center channel
2.0 mono - a mono signal coming from left and right channels
2.0 stereo - signal coming from both left and right
2.1 -signal coming from left, right, and subwoofer
3.0 -signal coming from left, center, and right speakers
3.1 -signal coming from left, center, right, and sub
4.0 -signal coming from left, right, left surround, and right surround
4.1 -signal coming from left, right, left surround, right surround, and sub
5.0 -signal coming from left, right, left surround, right surround, center
5.1 -signal coming from left, right, left surround, right surround, center, and sub
6.1* -same as 5.1 with a center rear channel
7.1** -same as 6.1 only with 2 center rear channels (center rear right, center rear left)

*there are a few movies decoded with 6.1 channels of discrete sound, otherwise there will be nothing coming from the center channel when playing movies with only 5.1 soundtracks, unless you set your receiver to automatically 'matrix' the left and right surrounds into a center rear mix, this is effective in larger room settings to help the rear soundfield feel full. (ex. of 6.1 discrete sources GLADIATOR, X-MEN 3, and BLADE II or BLADE III)

**there are no sources out there currently that are sending out discrete 7.1 sound, but in this case the 2 center rear channels isolate themselves so that the center rear left takes from the surround left and the center rear right takes from the surround right. If you play a 6.1 source the sound will be split between the 2 center rear channels.

pikers
10-28-2006, 11:45 AM

The ".x" refers to the subwoofer. If the description is "2.1" it is two speakers and a sub. If something says "2.0" and a sub is present, it is labeled incorrectly.

This all started when some companies copped out and introduced two-channel phantom-surround "theater" systems, to appeal to those phobic of running wire.:17:

swwdts
10-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Until I have my 2 kenwood KS-206HT Surround speakers I have these hooked up. My kenwood same KS ceter & left & right front speakers.They all are 8 ohms & they all are 100 watts. Due to me using the 2.0 surround format on my dvds I, am using the KS front & the KS 8" passive subwoofer.On my wires I am using Radio Shack gold pins.On my subwoofer I am using 4 R.S. gold pins.I am using THX cert. 16ga.speaker wire for everything that I have or will be hooking up.Except my subwoofer, I am using 12ga.THX cert.subwoofer speaker wire.