Denon AVR-2803 or AVR-3803 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR-2803 or AVR-3803

flafonta
02-08-2004, 06:43 AM
I am debating between these 2 Units for my new home theater system.

The salesman at a local store recommended the 3803 mainly because of the video capabilities (ability to upconvert all video signal to a single component video output).

Any opinion?

I am also debating between the Denon and the Yamaha (1400/2400).

phillyguy
02-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I won't address the Yamaha vs. Denon debate, as I think they are both great units, and their are advocators of each on this site. But, I will offer this. If you decide on the Denon, try to find the Denon AVR1083 (not AVR1803). It should be the same unit as the AVR 3803, and will cost much less. I picked up the AVR1082 recently as a close out, and it was even less than the AVR2802's were going for. Try here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=AVR1083&image.x=5&image.y=6

Not sure if they are an authorized dealer though...

htfan14
02-08-2004, 10:23 AM
The 3803 is a seven channel rec. not 6 like the 1082, also does'nt have the video up conversion(if thats important) Not sure what else is different about the 2 but certainly thats enough to distinguish them as DIFFERENT. I believe the 1082 is about the same as the older 3801.
I have the 3802 and love it. Connected for 7.1 it's clear and loud!
That being said, get the best deal for you. The Yammy's sound great too and the YPAO feature is nice. Denon will have their version on the upcoming 3805.
Enjoy the shopping, know I did, and secure that you can't go wrong with any of the 4 you mentioned.

phillyguy
02-09-2004, 04:06 AM
The 1082 is the same as the 3802. Check the spec sheets at Denon. I have the 1082. Both sheets say they are 6.1 recievers with 7 amplifiers.

from the 1082 sheet:

Fully Discrete, Equal Power Seven Amplifier Channels
Front .................. 150 W + 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Center................ 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround............ 150 W + 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround back ... 150 W + 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
The AVR-1082 features an equal power 7-channel amplifier section,
with identical amplifier design on all 7 channels, with high current discrete
output devices on all channels. Each of the 7 amplifier channels is
rated at 150 watts, into 6 ohms.

from the 3802 sheet:

Front .................. 110 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
Center................ 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
Surround............ 110 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
Surround back ... 110 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
The AVR-3802 features an equal power 7-channel amplifier section,
rated at 110 watts, into 8 ohms, from 20 Hz - 20 kHz with no more than
0.05% THD.

The 1082 has the same power at 8 ohms as the 3802. I assumed the 1083 would be similar to the 3803. My mistake if they are not. That being said the writeup in the link I provided is either wrong, or they changed the reciever.

woodman
02-09-2004, 06:34 PM

The salesman at a local store recommended the 3803 mainly because of the video capabilities (ability to upconvert all video signal to a single component video output).

Any opinion?

I must strongly disagree with both phillyguy and with htfan14 on this decision. Let me tell you why: Denon (along with Marantz) was sold almost 2 years ago to a group of investment bankers who are far more concerned with their profits than they are with consumer satisfaction - sad to say. It is no longer the company (Japanese-owned) that it used to be. Product reliability has sagged to a considerable degree, and customer support has all but disappeared. Although product reliability of just about ALL consumer electronics products is quite good, it DOES vary from one brand to another. Yamaha is the undisputed leader of the entire industry for reliability. So, that fact coupled with the other advantages of the Yammie you say you're considering makes this a virtual no-brainer. Get the Yamaha 1400 ... it'll cost you less than the Denon 3803 and do MORE! It's YPAO feature is enough to sway the decision all by itself.

Hope this helps you

chimera128
02-12-2004, 11:53 AM
I have been entirely happy with the Denon AVR-3803. Denon may have been sold but the products it produces are still of high quality. The Denon AVR-5803 has gotten favorable reviews when compared to separates of like price. In terms of which to choose between the Denon AVR-3803 or the Denon AVR-2803. Go with the Denon AVR-3803. It is soon going to be replaced by the AVR-3805 so you should be able to get a good deal on it. I have seen them advertised for $1000 but I would try to get one for less. The reason to get it though is because the sound quality produced will be better. IMO it has more control than the two lesser units. If you have money constraints though you may want to get the lesser priced receiver and buy a power conditioner if you don't have one. A good power conditioner. RGPC 400MK II is $779. Hope this helps.

chimera128
02-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Hah... I just realized I said if you had money constraints and said to buy a combination that costs more. Maybe get the power conditioner later ;)

htfan14
02-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Had a quick look at the 1082's spec's, if I'm wrong I sit corrected.
Love my 3802. Can't comment on Denon's customer service as my unit has run perfect so far, but I'm fairly certain the corporate owners of Denon and Marantz are not the only ones driven by the almighty dollar.
I have close friends who have the 5700 and 4801, they also could'nt comment on C/S for the same reason.
Yamaha does have a good customer service rep. and good quality products, but side by side when I was comparing the 3802 trounced the 1300 in ht.

Zomby
02-13-2004, 08:11 AM
I bought the 1082 and was initially frustrated with the set up...seemed I could not get it tweeked right. I e-mailed Denon, no response, so I called. This was the best customer service experience I have had (I just built a house, so I have a number of other recent experiences). After my 2nd call, the guy gave me his direct line phone number. With the retained history I had with this guy, he helped me tweek the system in wonderful ways. I have 5.1 speaker set up with the rears recessed into the ceiling...not ideal, but this guy walked me through several ideas, including changing the angle of the directional tweeters, not even a Denon issue. New room, new receiver, new center channel to match my Totem Arros, new rears, new sub. Too many variables. The 1082 was a rich powerful receiver right from the box. I am most interested in music, and with Denon support, my system has gone from excellent to awe inspiring.

phillyguy
02-13-2004, 07:53 PM
HTfan, I had heard they had rebadged the 3802 to 1082 to sell them through Sears. Everyone who seems to have either one loves them. I have to say the low end is much more solid than my old Yamaha A520 amp. The remote is a bit quirky, and the manual is weak, but it was pretty intuitive to set up.

DoninVirginia
02-15-2004, 04:04 PM

Any opinion?

I purchased a Yamaha RX-V2400 today. I've yet to connect it, but I am looking forward to hearing it based upon the write-ups I read here on audioreview. It is replacing an Onkyo TX-DS777.Before purchasing I listened to the Denon 3803 and Yamaha 1400 using the straight and direct settings. Although both sounded very good, I felt that the Yamaha had more depth in its sound that the Denon, which to me was missing detail.

Admitedly, I am a previous owner of Yamaha equipment (which I loved but needed a technology refresh) and so may be a bit biased. But by the same token my equipment consists of Technics, Polk Audio, TEAC, and AKAI that I've accumulated over may years.

I hope this helps.

DoninVirginia

htfan14
02-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Agree with you phillyguy on the remote and manual , who wrote that ****e, but the unit is great. I guess the 1082 is a re-package for the U.S. and other markets. I have never seen them in Canada.
Have you ever tried on of their universal DVD players, 2200 etc..

topspeed
02-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Make sure that you understand the video upconversion process, because I did not. When I bought my 3803, I was under the impression that it upconverted the QUALITY of the signal from rca's and s-video to component. It does not. It simply allows you to use one cable from the receiver to the monitor. This is very handy as you have far fewer wires running between the video sources and your monitor. However if you want component video quality from all of your sources, all of them must be plugged into the 3803 with component video cables. Get it? Of course, this is entirely moot if neither your monitor nor your eyes have the ability to display and detect the difference. If this is the case, it is simply a convenience feature.

FWIW, I purchased the Denon over the Yammie because I preferred the sound in Pure Direct mode. It was smoother and offered better extension imo. As others have said, they are both excellent and you can't really go wrong here.

Good luck

jmracura
02-20-2004, 08:57 AM
I bought the Denon 3803 in December and have been really happy with it thus far. I liked the convenience of the video-up conversion, soley because I liked the idea that I wouldn't have so many wires heading to my tv. Lucky for me, my salesman at Good Guys was knowledgeable about this unit and did tell me it wouldn't upgrade a lower level signal to component. The unit it fairly easy to use, more than ample power for my 14x20 family room, and crisp clear sound at any level. I've got a toddler and an infant and unfortunately, can't put it up as loud as i'd like to usually. I've got it connected to some Energy Encore Satellites/Sub and it is very crisp and clear, even at low levels. The only gripe besides the manual that needs no further bashing, is the remote. I've had trouble getting it configured to my dvd, tv, etc. I've read the manual and followed what it says, but I haven't gotten it to work. Mine may just be defective, but I haven't taken it in for service to verify.

Mine is 95% HT/TV, and 5% music. Pure direct mode is very clean, even for my satellite combo. I heard the unit with some towers at the store and was really impressed with music as well.

As for the upconversion once again, keep in mind that you will have to use the receiver for everything if you go this route. I kept this set-up, but my wife doesn't necessarily think we need to hear regular tv programming or my daughter's videos using the receiver and speaker set-up.

boca
02-21-2004, 10:50 AM
I would just add this: In latest WHAT HI FI, (audio magazine from UK)
DENON AVR-2803 was rated as best unit, best buy for last yerar. I have AVR-1804 and would not trade for any Yamaha as Denon sound is more softer, warmer.

Regards

Boca

bhd812
02-24-2004, 09:57 PM
i know this is going to sound dumb but i had the 2803 and didnt like it, i have now the onkyo 989. but i remember buying the onkyo 787 and it blew the denon out of the water.
I also have the onkyo 601 for a smaller setup and it rocks
look at the onkyo 701 and up. they are great amps. and great bang for the buck

omikey
03-03-2004, 03:18 PM
The 1082 is the same as the 3802. Check the spec sheets at Denon. I have the 1082. Both sheets say they are 6.1 recievers with 7 amplifiers.

from the 1082 sheet:

Front .................. 150 W + 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Center................ 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround............ 150 W + 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
Surround back ... 150 W + 150 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
The AVR-1082 features an equal power 7-channel amplifier section,
rated at 150 watts, into 6 ohms.

from the 3802 sheet:

Front .................. 110 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
Center................ 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
Surround............ 110 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
Surround back ... 110 W + 110 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD)
The AVR-3802 features an equal power 7-channel amplifier section,
rated at 110 watts, into 8 ohms, from 20 Hz - 20 kHz with no more than
0.05% THD.

The 1082 has the same power at 8 ohms as the 3802. I assumed the 1083 would be similar to the 3803. My mistake if they are not. That being said the writeup in the link I provided is either wrong, or they changed the reciever.
Yes i see that, and I also went and read the specs on the Denon site between the avr-3803 and the avr-1083 .... as you pointed out, they are the same. Since I am at the purchase point and was about to plunk down $800 for the AVR-3803, I know what to know why there are two identical products with different model numbers sold at different prices

I see the 1083 on the web for like $680, nice savings I'd say.

Thanks
Mikey

phillyguy
03-04-2004, 04:37 AM
Glad to see that the 1083 appears to be the same as the 3803. From what I read in the reviews for the 1082, the rebadging was so they could sell the unit at Sears. I would assume the rebadge was so that Sears would not have to price match another store selling the 3803. You see this sort of thing with appliances all the time, especially washers and dryers. I found my receiver at Tweeter as a closeout. Great price, plus they were an authorized Denon dealer.

omikey
03-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Yes Phillyguy - I see that the 3803 of couse is about to be replaced by the 3805, as such the price at Tweeter on the 3803 is down from $1199 to $799 right now .... Would love to find it even lower :-) maybe if I can only hold out until the 3805 actually hits the shelf in the store the 3803 will drop more....... Or what do you think about trying to find the 1083 at Sears ?

Thanks,
Mikey

Glad to see that the 1083 appears to be the same as the 3803. From what I read in the reviews for the 1082, the rebadging was so they could sell the unit at Sears. I would assume the rebadge was so that Sears would not have to price match another store selling the 3803. You see this sort of thing with appliances all the time, especially washers and dryers. I found my receiver at Tweeter as a closeout. Great price, plus they were an authorized Denon dealer.

phillyguy
03-05-2004, 07:00 PM
omikey,

If you can hang on until the 3805 hits the stores, you will see the 3803 go even lower. I picked up the 1082 after Christmas for $499. I was looking at the Marantz 7300, but just couldn't justify the difference in cost. I didn't need more than a 5.1 receiver, and I can live without video up conversion. I would rather put the extra cash towards new speakers. I never even looked at Sears to see what they were selling. Try 6ave.com. Awhile back I heard that they ran out fo 3802's and started shipping 3803's for the same price. They are an authorized dealer for Denon as well. You may want to see if you can get a local store to cut you a deal as well. You will have more leverage once the 3805 hits the streets.