Center speaker recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center speaker recommendations

zoltar
10-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi!

I am currently using Boston CR67 surround speakers (mainly because I got a great deal on them on Ebay!). So, I keep hearing that the center speaker is the most important in a 5.1 system. Is this true? And can I "overkill" by current bostens with a higher end center? Recommendations please!

Thanks

N. Abstentia
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
You need the center channel that timbre matches with your front speakers. What are they?

zoltar
10-23-2006, 03:12 PM
The Boston CR67's

PeruvianSkies
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I have had a few comments about my center channel speaker not 'matching' my left and right speakers, which I have to laugh at because these 'people' have not heard them together in my room. I went with the Athena center channel because it sounded really great with my towers AND complimented them well. For now the Athena works just great and will remain there until I decide to get the PSB Platinum center channel, but that's when I get a few thousand dollars together again, which will have to wait until I get my Classe amps that I want to use to drive my speakers. Right now I am VERY happy with my Athena center....so I would play around with different ones until you find one that matches. Hopefully you can demo a few out!

musicman1999
10-24-2006, 03:44 PM
In a home theatre enviroment the center speaker is very important and needs to timber match at least the front and preferably all speakers.Think of it like this,if the center speaker is different,then a left to right sound pan will not be consistant across all three speakers and it will be obvious.I have just finished upgrading my speakers from Jm Labs Chorus to Cobalts and for a while there was some mixing of the 2 series,i could hear the difference even though the speakers were from the same manufacturer,just a different series.

bill

zoltar
10-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Okay, that makes sence. I was wondering what the deal was on "matching" the speaker sound charactistics.