Flags of Our Fathers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flags of Our Fathers

SlumpBuster
10-23-2006, 11:40 AM
So, I saw Flags of Our Fathers this weekend and give it two big thumbs up. Speilberg finally has a Pacific Theater companion piece to Saving Private Ryan that he wisely placed it in the hands of Clint Eastwood, and.... I can't believe I'm saying this... former writer for "Facts of Life" and "Dif'rent Strokes" and the creator of "Walker, Texas Ranger,' Mr. Paul Haggis.

After the disappointing third act of Million Dollar Baby (a movie that was single handedly saved by the infectiously exhuberant performance by Hillary Swank) I was concerned about the Flags of our Fathers being overly schmaltzy and confused in tone. Furthermore, the involvement of Haggis just suggested any number of different narrative train wrecks waiting in the wings. However, I have to admit, Flags of Our Fathers goes a long way towards washing away the sins of Crash and Mr. Merlin (Who else remembers Mr. Merlin? :D).

Flags of Our Fathers looked great, sounded great, and edited beautifully in a non-linear story line that moved freely but smoothy between vast spanses of place and time. I've never heard a real artillery bombardment, but if it sounds anything like it does in this movie, I don't know how any soldier has ever been convinced to charge on dug in cannon. Look for the scenes where the director abruptly shifts POV to first person of pilot of straffing fighter bomber pilot, truely edge of your seat. Also, look for excellant use of well integrated CGI that does not scream "Hey, look what our computer can do!" You'll have to look for it, otherwise you'll miss it (other than the ubiquitous Johnny LaRue helicopter shot that pulls back to reveal the size of the armada steaming towards Iwo Jima).

Also, big ups for star Ryan Phillippe, an actor that is as underated at he is understated. He is always good for quiet, textured, and confident performances.

Finally, Adam Beach is a criminally unknown actor probably best known for his work in Joe Dirt and Windtalker. This guy should be a much, much bigger star and IMO steals every scene he is in Flags of Our Fathers. However, I fear he is on track to becoming a Hall of Fame character actor.

Anyone, else see it and have any critique?

Worf101
10-24-2006, 03:59 AM
But I will go see it based on your recommendations..

Da Worfster

SlumpBuster
10-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Jeez, it's alot of pressure when people see movies on your recommendation. Don't ask for your money back from me if you don't like it. :D

Actually, I've read some reviews and they seem generally good. One negative one said the movie was slow. I don't know about that. It's not a Michael Bay movie, its Clint. It's not gonna be Pearl Harbor. Plus, they are dealing with a true story, so they are trying to cover their bases.

All I know is the movie was sold out of a Friday night later (9:00pm) show time with a crowd overwhelmingly over 40 years old. And no one left until the credits stopped rolling and the lights came on. Really cool something going on during end credits.

Resident Loser
10-24-2006, 06:55 AM
...of the Flag on Mt. Suribachi is immortalized in DC and at the US Marine Corps base at Quantico...The scene depicted was always a source of pride for my father...Unfortunately. there's now one less of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation...

It's a strange occurrence that this movie should be released to nearly coincide with the passing of my dad who was "once a Marine and always a Marine"...He enlisted after Pearl and was underage...his mom had to give her permission...He served in the south Pacific during WWll and was honored with a Purple Heart as a result of wounds received in battle...never really spoke about it much, just went on with life.

He was laid to rest at Calverton National Cemetery, here, on the east end of LI with full military honors...I was OK until they played Taps and a member of the honor guard presented his flag to my mom along with the condolences and respect of a grateful nation...

jimHJJ(...Semper Fi dad, Semper Fi...)

Groundbeef
10-24-2006, 08:32 AM
My Grandfather (who is still living....just reguttered his own home at 85!) served in the Navy. He recieved both the Silver Star, and the Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. Not sure how he got them as he doesn't talk about his exploits. All I know is that he never left the boat except for shore leave. I also know that he manned some sort of gun so I suspect that he must have shot down several aircraft and done some other things to get that type of recognition.

The only story that he tells (with relish I might add) is when they had left port and had been cruising for some time. They came under attack by Japanese Kamakazi fighters, Many were shot down, but one managed to hit the side of the ship. No one was killed in that attack, but as he says, "That bastard managed to destroy the only thing that we had out there. After all was cleaned up, they had to remove the airplane engine from the ice cream machine. No more ice cream for the remainder of the tour."

Shortly after that incident my grandfathers appendix burst on ship. As they had no surgeon on board, he had to lay in a hammock for 5 days until he could be transferred to a ship w/ surgeon. It is no small miracle that he didn't die from infection, and infact the Navy Surgeon told him he would be lucky to see 25.

bobsticks
10-24-2006, 09:12 AM
RL,

I wondered about your absence and had speculated on a vacation...now I see it was nothing so mundane. I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Bernd
10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi Jim,

Very sorry to hear about your dad. And be assured that it's not just one nation that is/was grateful for your dad's generations willingness. That generation put it all on the line for us. Lets never forget that.

Peace

Bernd

Worf101
10-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Got no use fer em... Jarheads gimme hives. I'm ex-Army and proud of it. Will say this for em though. First class fightin' men, not too bright, but never knew when they were licked. They never let common sense get in the way of a good bayonet charge. I salute them all and their bravery in the face of such danger and misery

Da Worfster

Formerly Sgt. Macks of the 8th, 5th and 2nd Combat Engineers "Essayons".