Datacolor Spyder TV Calibration System, Part III [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Datacolor Spyder TV Calibration System, Part III

edtyct
10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
This thread is just an excuse to thank everyone who participated in the project. I hope to organize the responses into some kind of meaningful review in the near future. In the meantime, I've sent the company the narrative reports that accompanied some of the raw data, with the idea that Datacolor might be more interested in general comments and recommendations than a detailed comparison of parameters by display.

Any of you who didn't send me general impressions about their experiences and results is more than welcome to do so now. In fact, further testimony might be helpful. I'd be like to find out what L.J., Robotec, hmmmm, and Westcott think. Of course, I might have misplaced or forgotten observations that they've already made.

Some of your real names went to Datacolor with your critiques. Others were identified by only their AR nicknames. If Datacolor is interested in making formal use of this material, real names could conceivably appear in promotional literature or advertising, though I wouldn't hold my breath. Datacolor's publicists are more likely to quote remarks that are short and sweet (or capable of being made so), but the temptation to provide them would be no excuse for fudging results. Even if they don't publish anything from this project, or even refer abstractly to it as something like "a study done on AR.com," they will certainly take it to heart. Their interest in what you had to say is genuine.

Jim, you expressed interest in getting the Spyder back. Please get in touch if still interested. I'm not averse to letting new people use the Spyder, but I'd like to get some feedback from Datacolor before I commit to another round, with or without the company's involvement. It might take some time for the dust to settle.

Thanks again all,
Ed

GMichael
10-23-2006, 08:42 AM
I am glad to see that this is working out. It was easy to see how much was involved with getting this around the country, (as well as out & back). Looking forward to reading the reviews.

edtyct
10-23-2006, 09:03 AM
It didn't start out as a project at all. The junior Spyder was lying around in my office doing nothing, so I thought it could be put to better use out on the road. When Datacolor heard about it, they wanted to be involved. Now the Pro Spyder--the more elaborate one that works with front projectors--has arrived (actually, a couple of months ago), and some kind of review or networking will follow in due time. I like this company (I'm not the only one).

topspeed
10-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Ed!

I think I speak for all of us when I say "Thank You!" for being such a generous guy. You took a tremendous leap of faith by allowing complete strangers utilize your tools and that relates directly to your outstanding character.

As regarding the Spyder Pro, I've wondered if my setting would be different now that I replaced my bulb. If you remember, my bulb blew not much more than a month after I calibrated with the base Spyder. It would be interesting to see if there were any change in the settings with a newer bulb. Still, I'm quite happy with my picture, new bulb or not.

Thank you again for your generosity and trust. These traits combined with your seemingly endless wealth of knowledge on all things video have made you an indispensible member of this forum.

Speedy

edtyct
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Speedy,

I have no witty comeback. Thanks for the kind words. Since flattery will always get you somewhere, I'll have to send the Spyder back to you. The new lamp will probably have some impact on your settings. Jim Clark wanted another whack at it, too. I'm more than happy to oblige. Let's arrange it.

Ed