Week 15: 50 Albums That Changed Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 15: 50 Albums That Changed Music

Swish
10-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Well, it was quite a tepid thread last week, and I doubt this one will generate too much response, but I could be wrong. Not because he doesn't have a lot of fans on this board, of which I am one, but because many will probably not believe this record belongs on the list. Perhaps everyone has had enough of this list, but I'm going to continue posting until I've posted all 50 of them. And the entry for this week is Brian Eno - Discreet Music (1975).

Brian Eno, it is said, invented ambient music when he was stuck in a hospital bed unable to reach a radio that was playing too quitely, giving him the eureka moment that set the course not only for his post-Roxy Music career as an "atmosphere"-enhancing producer, but for the future of electronic music. Without this we wouldn't have David Bowie's Low or Heroes, the echoey guitars of U2's The Edge, and no William Orbit, Orb, Juana Molina. To name but a few.

Swish

BradH
10-22-2006, 04:23 PM
"Without this we wouldn't have David Bowie's Low or Heroes, the echoey guitars of U2's The Edge, and no William Orbit, Orb, Juana Molina. To name but a few."

These people need to get a grip. Ambient "music" existed before this album. Bowie has cited German groups like Neu as inspiration. The Edge has cited Stuart Adamson when he was in The Skids as the inspiration for his guitar sound.

Without Lincoln there wouldn't be a five-dollar bill.

Dusty Chalk
10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
(snore)

MasterCylinder
10-23-2006, 06:35 AM
SWISH :

I find the list interesting so, don't stop posting.

There are artists or albums on the list in which I don't know enough about to make an informed comment -- therefore, some weeks I don't post.

Other weeks, where you reflect an item that I have an opinion, I will provide same.

I say this just to ionform you that some albums and artists will definitely get greater reaction than others.

Bernd
10-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Yes Swishy, finish what you started. I for one enjoy reading, and learning from the different responses.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Troy
10-23-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm with Brad on this one. I'd add Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream to the list of ambient electronic artists before Eno went there as well.

Tho I do think that they are mentioning Eno more as a CAREER influence. I just wish they'd say so.

BradH
10-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd add Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream to the list of ambient electronic artists before Eno went there as well.

Yeah, Bowie described Neu as "Kraftwerk's wayward cousin" or something so I know he was watching the German scene closely. I think you're right about Eno as a career influence. No one would deny that without Eno there wouldn't be a Bowie & Eno album! Discreet Music may very well have interested Bowie in working with Eno but I see Low and Heroes more in the vein of Another Green World and Before And After Science.

Regarding the early German scene, I think Can was the best of the lot. It's funny how they all wanted to carve out a style that was distinct from the Anglo-American dominance yet they all started out doing spacey, late-60's Pink Floyd kind of sounds, even Kraftwerk. I'm not sure about Edgar Froese but I'll bet he was doing it too at some point.

bobsticks
10-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I too have enjoyed the series, it's just that the last two weeks...you know, whatever.

Discreet Music~who came up with this, Jann Wenner's dad?

3-LockBox
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
SWISH :

I find the list interesting so, don't stop posting.

There are artists or albums on the list in which I don't know enough about to make an informed comment -- therefore, some weeks I don't post.

Other weeks, where you reflect an item that I have an opinion, I will provide same.

I say this just to ionform you that some albums and artists will definitely get greater reaction than others.

I'll second this thought...too bad the retarded writer/s of this article are talking out their arses, but still, it ain't like its taking up too much band width or anything.

I haven't heard too much Eno, but what I have heard, I thought sucked.