hi there i'm a newcomer my first forum of any sort! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hi there i'm a newcomer my first forum of any sort!

sandy
10-22-2006, 11:45 AM
ok, i own a marvelous pair of mission 707's ,and to my dismay have just started 'parping'
having had them since 1987 never a problem and now the woofer appears to be dissintegrating after playing some extremely heavey based doom!does anyone know if this is either replaceable or repairable? i really don't want to get new speakers

audio amateur
10-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't think you have too many options. I guess you could replace the woofer, but I doubt mission still have the ones you have. You should contact them. Or just get new speakers

sandy
10-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't think you have too many options. I guess you could replace the woofer, but I doubt mission still have the ones you have. You should contact them. Or just get new speakers thankyou for that, i have just been on there website and email'd them so fingers crossed....

Rock789
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.geocities.com/gordonwaters/Speakers1.html

or find a replacement speaker from partsexpress or someplace like that?

phillyguy
10-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Mission will not likely have replacement drivers, as I checked a couple of years back for my Mission 707's and they were not available anymore. You cannot replace the woofers with another 8" woofer. The crossovers are specifically designed for the woofers/tweeters that are in the speaker. However all is not lost. You can refoam the speakers, i.e. replace the foam surrounds around the woofers. I suggest going here:

http://www.winstonorgan.com/diy.htm

Buy their professional kit. The staff is very helpful, and will help you pick the size that fits the particular speaker you are refoaming. It is not hard to do, I did my speakers and my subwoofer. I figured I had nothing left to lose, as the speakers were worthless with the rotted surrounds, and replacement components were not available. I was also able to redo the grills on my 707's so now they look and sound as good as new. Feel free to ask questions, I can talk you thru it.

I love my 707's and the Mission sound. Always glad to see others still enjoying them as well. BTW, of you decide to by new speakers, I did find someone in the US that carries Mission. Check here:

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/4543be7a007c56982740ac100341064d/Catalog/1076

I bought the V62's, w/ center and surround for my home theater. Not quite as bright as the 707's, and more laid back, they are great for HT and music. I think this line has now been discontinued, but I have not seen any newer offerings in the states.

Hope this helps

audio_dude
10-28-2006, 06:17 PM
depending on your budget, my dads got a pair of mission M3i's, they're very nice speakers, priced at $700 in the US i think

Bingo
10-29-2006, 03:40 AM
Sandy - I'm very new to this myself, having entered into this forum thing last month for the first time. About having your speaker repaired - I don't know where you are located, but keep looking....I know that in my area there is a speaker repair service in New Orleans or more specifically Metairie, Louisiana. The place is McCann Electronics...if you got in touch with them, they might be able to tell you about a repair service in your own location...give it a try and good luck.

Bingo

2325fan
11-05-2006, 01:56 PM
u might be able to have them rebuilt at a fairliy decent price

brianmission
11-19-2006, 04:51 PM
My Mission 707's foam surround is in the same sad state as the original poster, and i'm game to try the do-it-yourself kits.

Has anyone done this and can you recommend a specific vendor who has a kit that will work with the 707's?

I've browsed a few sites and thus far haven't found one that seems to offer a size with a really close match.

phillyguy
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
brianmission,

Scroll up to my previous post on this thread and hit the link for Winston Organ. Call them. Give them your dimensions and they will send you the right surround. I also refoamed my Infinity sub when I did my Missions. The sub was an odd size, so I had to cut and overlap the surround. Not a problem, and the sub sounds fine. It is not hard to do. Send me a PM if you have any more questions.

phillyguy