I saw The Shining last night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I saw The Shining last night

ForeverAutumn
10-22-2006, 10:44 AM
...for the first time. It's probably a lot scarier without commercial breaks every 10 minutes. :(

PeruvianSkies
10-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Yes, much better. Hopefully you were able to see it without any edits. That film needs a bit of restoration and it will be interesting to see in HD one day. The Video Red is a bit of a problem on the DVD.

Worf101
10-23-2006, 03:52 AM
...for the first time. It's probably a lot scarier without commercial breaks every 10 minutes. :(

I love your commentary on movies and T.V. shows and appreciate your knowledge and pleasent demeanor BUT... from time to time you drop these statements on me that blow my ever lovin' mind!!!!

When you told me you'd never seen "The Godfather" I spit coffee across the room. Now I understand why certain people don't see certain flicks. I've friends at the VA and VFW that refuse to see "Platoon" or "Apocalypse Now" or any Viet Nam War flicks... I know religious people and scardey cats that have never seen "The Exorcist". But the holes in your movie viewing history just baffle me. Be honest...

You're an alien creature crash landed here from another planet right????

What have you done with the REAL Autumn???!!!

Da Worfster

GMichael
10-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey now big guy. It's not like she said that she never saw Gone With the Wind. Jaws? What kind of jaws? Freddie who? Jason? The Beatles?

Sorry FA, couldn't resist.

topspeed
10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow.

You really are lost, aren't you? Without question, you need to see this movie unedited and in its entirety. One of Kubrick's very best.

Next thing you'll say is that you've never seen Silence of the Lambs :rolleyes:

GMichael
10-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow.

Next thing you'll say is that you've never seen Silence of the Lambs :rolleyes:

Did it have spiders or monkey's in it?

Look out FA! It's Kong!

Just close your eyes. it will be OK.

ForeverAutumn
10-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I love your commentary on movies and T.V. shows and appreciate your knowledge and pleasent demeanor BUT... from time to time you drop these statements on me that blow my ever lovin' mind!!!!

When you told me you'd never seen "The Godfather" I spit coffee across the room. Now I understand why certain people don't see certain flicks. I've friends at the VA and VFW that refuse to see "Platoon" or "Apocalypse Now" or any Viet Nam War flicks... I know religious people and scardey cats that have never seen "The Exorcist". But the holes in your movie viewing history just baffle me. Be honest...

You're an alien creature crash landed here from another planet right????

What have you done with the REAL Autumn???!!!

Da Worfster

I know. Sometimes I'm amazed at how long I've been on this planet and gotten by without seeing certain movies or hearing certain music. The problem is that, as much as I love movies, I just seldom have the time to sit in one place for more than an hour at a time. And I hate watching a movie in parts on different days. That's worse than commercials for me.

I promise you that I am not an alien creature. Nor was I raised under a rock or in a cave. I was not confined to my room without a TV as a child. I have not spent time in a sensory deprivation lab as part of a scientific experiment. There are just too many movies and not enough damn time!

I have seen Gone With The Wind, Jaws I & II, the first three Elmstreets, a couple of Halloween flicks and Silence Of The Lambs. I have seen the original King Kong, and the first remake, but not the most recent remake.

I have still not seen The Godfather (she hangs her head in shame).

Dusty Chalk
10-23-2006, 08:36 PM
We all have our lists of movies that we mean to see but have yet to. I need to start keeping mine on a sheet, because I go to "movie night" with a couple of friends every Saturday night, and we do occasionally run out of ideas.

every Akira Kirosawa film except a couple (Seven Samurai and Ikiru)
Memento
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Boston Strangler
American Graffiti
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Bridge Over the River Kwai

...and of course I can't think of any others right now, which is part of the problem.

PeruvianSkies
10-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok, Dusty made me think of it...

My top Kurosawa films...

1. RED BEARD
2. KAGEMUSHA
3. THRONE OF BLOOD
3. HIGH AND LOW
4. SEVEN SAMURAI
5. YOJIMBO
6. SANJURO
8. RAN

Secondly, a good friend of mine and I both agree that THE SHINING is one of the most important horror films of the past 30 years. It's importance lies primarily in the way that it set a new standard for what a horror film should and could be. It's amazing that Stephen King did not understand this! It's a psychological film more than anything else and it's 'horror' is another character of the film. It presents us with a narrative that is almost meaninful and meaninless at the same time and has a foreboding nature about it that's almost hard to descibe. It also shows that a horror-genre film can also be beautiful with it's images and that it can be deep and mysterious without being unnecessarily graphic.

Dusty Chalk
10-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok, Dusty made me think of it...

My top Kurosawa films...I think you misunderstood my post -- that was a fraction of my list of movies that I haven't seen (that I think I should). What I was trying to say was that I've only seen two of his films.

ForeverAutumn
10-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Secondly, a good friend of mine and I both agree that THE SHINING is one of the most important horror films of the past 30 years. It's importance lies primarily in the way that it set a new standard for what a horror film should and could be. It's amazing that Stephen King did not understand this! It's a psychological film more than anything else and it's 'horror' is another character of the film. It presents us with a narrative that is almost meaninful and meaninless at the same time and has a foreboding nature about it that's almost hard to descibe. It also shows that a horror-genre film can also be beautiful with it's images and that it can be deep and mysterious without being unnecessarily graphic.

Even with the commercials, the importance of this film was not lost on me. Kubrick is a genius. The photography was amazing. I've never seen a film with so much time spent on the back's of the characters. Once upon a time I took acting classes for a few years. One of the first rules that I was taught was to never turn your back to your audience. Then I had a teacher who played an entire scene with his back to us and it was brilliant! This same technique is one of the things that I thought made this movie so good. Following everyone around from behind, seeing things as the character sees them, made this movie that much more suspenseful. Putting the viewer in the character's place...riding around on the kid's bike and seeing the little girls at the end of the hallway was much more powerful than seeing the boy's reaction to them.

I'll have to get this on DVD one day and watch it uninterupted.

Kam
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
riding around on the kid's bike and seeing the little girls at the end of the hallway was much more powerful than seeing the boy's reaction to them.

I'll have to get this on DVD one day and watch it uninterupted.

one of my favorite stories is that kubrick told the kid that they were making a comedy and never let him know this was a dramatic horror movie.

oh.... and to rehash one of my favorite movie trailers of all time, now that you've seen it....

ever hate how sometimes the movie trailers nowadays give away the whole movie? or ow the trailer really has nothing to do with what the movie is really like? well...imagine if you will if the current marketing geniuses out there had to "Sell the shining" to audiences now... this is what they would make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVKqVSdHJ8

:D

ForeverAutumn
10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm so glad that you posted that link! I've seen that before and I was trying to describe it to my husband. I told him that I would go onto You Tube and search for it. Thanks for saving me some time.

Funny, during one of the commercial breaks, I asked my husband whether he would ever allow his kid (if he had any) to film a movie like that. He said "sure, why not?". I thought that the whole experience would be disturbing. I know that the kid doesn't hear the sound effects or music, or really see the girls, or the blood, but he still has to act like he does. After seeing the kid drooling in his bed or chanting redrum (which I found more annoying than fearful), I find it hard to believe that the kid thought he was filming a comedy. If that's true, they must have really sheltered him. Although, I also commented on how much fun he probably had riding that bike around the set!

ForeverAutumn
10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey, did you see these re-written trailers?

The Sixth Sense. The secret isn't seeing dead people - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD37v41zLIw&mode=related&search=

Sleepless in Seatle as a horror movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUPnZMxr08&mode=related&search=

Forrest Gump gone bad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-PrftFmsI&mode=related&search=

But this is the best one! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2WSW2sYKx0&mode=related&search=

Smokey
10-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey FA

Since you said you watched it on commercial channels, I wonder if they cut out the scenes in room 237 since it shows a naked lady getting out of bath tube and coming toward Jack. Or an old lady [rotten] corpse raise out of bath tube and chase Jack out of the room.

The latter part is one of scariest scenes I ever seen in a movie.

http://digilander.libero.it/stanleykubrick/shining/images/shining-donna.jpg

ForeverAutumn
10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
We watched it on Showcase, which is like HBO, I guess. There are commercials, but it's not considered public TV. They show a lot of movies uncut. The scene was included in it's full nudity.

I'm just happy that they didn't show Jack Nicholson naked. :eek:

Dusty Chalk
10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Actually, I've seen it on commercial TV, and they didn't cut that scene, they just made the bathroom steamy, like someone had taken a really hot shower. It actually kind of worked, except when she gets out of the tub, and it became really obvious that it was floating in just the right places to cover up the naughty bits.

But then she changed, and I got scared again.