Best Western TV series. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Western TV series.

Smokey
10-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Believe it or not, found over 70 shows listing for TV western series. But only be able to post ten of them in the poll.

Very close call between Gunsmoke, High Chaparral and Wagon Train. So will go with High Chaparral due to its realistic portray of western ranch, and very colorful American and Spanish characters.

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/highchaparral.jpg

eisforelectronic
10-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Firefly

Smokey
10-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey eisforelectronic

Did not see that show, but interesting concept for a western show. With only 14 episodes, we probably will not see that show on TV again.

Dusty Chalk
10-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Smokey, as a lover of TV and movies, you really need to see Firefly/Serenity. Simply one of the best TV series ever.

I would also like to nominate Wild Wild West -- loved all his james-bond-y gadgets.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/09/14/1126709661_6428.jpg

PeruvianSkies
10-22-2006, 01:01 PM
I am not sure I have a favorite, but this thread made me think about one of my favorite films ....WESTWORLD!

Wireworm5
10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I have the western channel and I've seen most of these shows. But I haven't seen them all and I haven't watched much lately.
The reason I like Gunsmoke is the character of Matt Dillon the Marshall. He is a big strong man built like a brick outhouse and he is the embodiment of the law. He is unwavering in standing up and enforcing the law. Will put his life on the line even when the odds are against him. And when forced to act will shoot you dead faster than a blink of an eye with no hesitation, justice is served.

PeruvianSkies
10-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Well, that's because that's how Matt Dillon rolls. He keeps his pimp arm strong. Afterall he is one of the greatest Hollywood Actors of all Time....in fact, if he was old enough at the time I am sure he would have replaced Marlon Brando in The Godfather. Next to Chuck Norris and maybe Steven Seagal...he is probably one of the best action stars too.

Smokey
10-22-2006, 06:10 PM
I would also like to nominate Wild Wild West -- loved all his james-bond-y gadgets.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/09/14/1126709661_6428.jpg

I only wished the movie Wild Wild West would have done justice to the TV series. I rather watch the TV show rather than the movie :)

Afterall he [Matt Dillon] is one of the greatest Hollywood Actors of all Time

I don't necessary agree with that statement. He is just too much "stone face" and not too many emotions. He was pretty good in earlier black&white episodes of Gunsmoke, but seem to wane a little bit at later episodes. Of course that take nothing away from the show since it had such an excellent cast.

IMO, the best actor on that show was Festus (Ken Curtis) :)

Dusty Chalk
10-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I only wished the movie Wild Wild West would have done justice to the TV series. I rather watch the TV show rather than the movie :)Can we pretend that travesty never happened?

I mean, don't get me wrong -- I like Will Smith, good special effects, laughing at a guy getting his face slapped by the likes of Salma Hayek, and all, but I just don't see what it had to do with the TV show. If they had called it "Will Smith vs. Megarachnidbot", it would have been much more palatable.

Worf101
10-23-2006, 03:47 AM
I went with Bonanza because of it's longevity and the great theme. Beautiful scenery every once in a while and you just had to love those boys. Call someone "Hoss" and you know just what is meant by it. I loved "High Chapparell" casue she was just so friggin beautiful. Loved "The Big Valley" cause of you know who... that's right I've always had a crush on Barbara Stanwyck. But the most interesting of all the westerns you've named... was "Have Gun Will Travel". I mean the idea of a hired killer... heady stuff...

Da Worfster

GMichael
10-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Firefly

I did enjoy this show, but put in my vote for Gunsmoke. I loved this show when I was a kid, running home each day after school to make sure I didn't miss any.

KAPOW POW POW....

Resident Loser
10-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Well, that's because that's how Matt Dillon rolls. He keeps his pimp arm strong. Afterall he is one of the greatest Hollywood Actors of all Time....in fact, if he was old enough at the time I am sure he would have replaced Marlon Brando in The Godfather. Next to Chuck Norris and maybe Steven Seagal...he is probably one of the best action stars too.

...he also played the Thing in the original "The Thing" (from another planet)...used pretty much the same acting skills in both...

...and where's Wanted: Dead or Alive...or The Rebel...or Yancy Derringer...The Rifleman...Broken Arrow...The Lone Ranger...Wild Bill Hickock (with Jingles P. Jones)...Maverick's alternative: Sugarfoot...Hopalong Cassidy...Roy Rogers...Sky King...The Cisco Kid...Bat Masterson...Wyatt Earp...The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean...Rin-Tin-friggin'-Tin...

WWW was cool...

IMO Wagon Train with Ward Bond was the better version...

jimHJJ(...F Troop anyone?...)

Glen B
10-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I love all of the shows listed in the poll but voted for my all-time favorite, Gunsmoke. I watched the show as a kid and today, more than four decades later still catch the reruns on TV Land.

Smokey
10-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Looks like Gunsmoke still have very loyal following. Not only here, but world wide.

I went with Bonanza because of it's longevity and the great theme. Beautiful scenery every once in a while and you just had to love those boys.

A little bit of Trivia: I was checking a box set of Bonanza episodes, and on the back it state that originally Bonanza was created by NBC in color (with beautiful outdoor scenes) to sell more color TVs in 1959. But then, it took life of its own.

IMO Wagon Train with Ward Bond was the better version...

I am not sure if you know this or not, but Wagon Train was based on the movie Wagon Master with Bond, directed by John Ford. It is not on DVD yet, but you may catch it on TCM channel.

billc1
01-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I was visiting the Big Sky Ranch in Simi Valley Ca. the day (2 1/2 yrs ago) a wild fire destroyed what was left of the Gunsmoke, Father Murphy and the Little House on the Prairie ect. movie sets. I have pictures of the fire about 1/2 mile from the Gunsmoke Saloon. I haven't been back since but heard everything was destroyed. But I did manage to get the gas chandelier from the saloon.

kelsci
01-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Although not a western TV series, I like many of Republics Pictures, THE THREE MESQUITEERS films from 1936-1939. There were others in the series made thru the early 1940s, but after John Wayne left as Stoney Brook, the films faltered in quality. AMC had RED RIVER RANGE on the other day. I did not think that a 35mm print of this film existed but it does and it looked and sounded great minus a few technical errors on the videotape here and there.

Kam
01-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Can we pretend that travesty never happened?

I mean, don't get me wrong -- I like Will Smith, good special effects, laughing at a guy getting his face slapped by the likes of Salma Hayek, and all, but I just don't see what it had to do with the TV show. If they had called it "Will Smith vs. Megarachnidbot", it would have been much more palatable.

if you get a chance to see An Evening with Kevin Smith, the documentary about his college speaking tour, he discusses this and the "why" behind this movie sucking as bad as it did.

Dusty Chalk
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the rec.

Troy
01-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Hello?

The best western TV series was "Deadwood", which my wife and I simply call "Cocksuckers" as in "Say, when is the third year of 'Cocksuckers' coming out on DVD, anyway?"

Simply put, it's one of the best TV series ever, regardless of genre.