Cable Shorting ...? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable Shorting ...?

c00z
10-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I have a problem and I was hoping that I could have some advice on this. My receiver shuts off all of a sudden and once I turn it back on it says check speaker wires. I have swapped out different pairs and have noticed that as long as I do not use one wire the problem disappears. However, why would this happen since I am unsure how a cable can be shorting itself out or have I simply gotten the problem wrong and it may be something else even though it has stopped. Your opinions are much appreciated. I am using Audioquest Bedrock purchased from AudioAdvisor.

Rizon
10-22-2006, 07:07 AM
If you've set heavy (or something somewhat sharp) on the cable, that could break the cable and probably cause that error message.

Another thing to check is to make sure the both ends of the cable have enough exposed wire to make contact with the metal inside the speaker ports on both the receiver and the speaker that you are connecting to it.

c00z
10-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the idea, the cable has banana connectors at the ends so they should have a good connection and there is nothing on the cables with respect to heavy objects.

JohnMichael
10-22-2006, 08:34 AM
There could be a problem with termination. AQ Bedrock consist of several solid core wires within the cable. If they accidentaly soldered one of the individual wires as negative at the amp end and attached it to the positive end at the speaker end you would have a short.

c00z
10-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I am sorry I should of given more background. I haved used these cables for about 1 month with no issues. Thus, I am very confused as to why all of a sudden it seems to have went. What could be causing this problem since this problems symptoms sound like it is shorting but I am not sure how this could be happening.

Here is what I have tried, keeping in mind this has been fine for one month. I found that my Yamaha 4600 receiver turned itself off after a few seconds. Upon me turning it on again it said check speaker cables. I then checked that the bananas were firmly in each terminal. Again it shut off. Thus, I tried each wire individually and it seemed as soon as I used the "problematic wire" it would immediately shut off. I tried a switching the good wire to each speaker to ensure it wasnt the speakers. Then I removed the bad wire and replaced it with an old one I have and the problems disappeared.

Is there anything that I can do to determine the problem or should I simply ship the cable back, I would rather attempt to know what the problem is in the off chance it isnt the cable but something other.

Ideas?

c00z
10-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I have figured out a way to test it. I will use volt meters to see if there is a short in the cables, I will test it later this week and see if that is the case, that there is an internal problem, will keep you posted. All commets were greatly appreciated.

Resident Loser
10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
...is a short-circuit...once a circuit is shorted, it usually stays shorted, generally...so unless your wire is under a rocking chair or is hung from telephone poles and subject to squirrel bites, rain and tree-rubs, chances are slim to none that it's the speaker wires themselves...that is if we are talking plain old two-conductor copper...If your wires have terminating networks, it's anyones guess...You could be overdriving the amps' outputs...or perhaps the speaker is at fault, falling below it's nominal impedance rating under certain conditions (does it happen a loud volumes or with only some musical selections?)...maybe the receiver itself; just becase it says check speaker wires that doesn't eliminate the internal circuitry (including the protection circuit itself) from the equation...anywhichway, time for some process of elimination by sectionalizing the trouble...try disconnecting speakers one by one, swapping wires, that sort of thing...You might even consider getting some plain' ol' generic wire and doing a wholesale swap...

jimHJJ(...no way around it...)

audio dragon
11-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Check your bedrock cable with an ohm meter to see + touch with - or not if it touch then it the cable problem.

nomar
11-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Disconnect your speaker wire and turn on your receiver. If it shuts down again so the problem is in your receiver, not in the wire.