RCA Splitters [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums


View Full Version : RCA Splitters

10-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I have an older stereo system (Optimus System 721) that still uses RCA plugs for speakers.

I've been thinking of purchasing another set of speakers (and modifying them to use RCA jacks) to use with it. I would like two left speakers and two right speakers, so I will have to use a splitter.

I've found two of them at RadioShack, and I'm wondering which one will give the best performance? Cost is not an issue, as they're both under $10.

#1: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103709&cp=2032058.2032231.2032280&pg=10&parentPage=family&summary=summary&allCount=329&allCount=329&accessories=accessories&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&fbc=1&y=14&x=16&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&support=support&parentPage=family

#2: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103638&cp=2032058.2032231.2032280&pg=12&parentPage=family&summary=summary&allCount=329&allCount=329&accessories=accessories&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&fbc=1&y=14&x=16&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&support=support&parentPage=family

Alternatively, if anyone knows any better splitters for under $20, please feel free to post them.

10-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Monster Cables makes one that I think is around $10-$15 and seems very well constructed, I have not had good luck with those RadioShack-types before...they are usually very quirky and also diminish alot of signal. Why exactly do you need 2 right and 2 left speakers though????

10-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm going to be putting them in 2 different rooms, but I don't want to wire anything through the walls.

Are these the Monster Cable splitters you were talking about? http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=655

10-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Those should work too, I've used those before. The ones I was talking about are more wire-like just like you would think for taking 1 cable into 2 inputs for a subwoofer.

10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Hmm...I've been looking for the one I found, and I can't find anyone selling something that looks exactly like that. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you like me to the one you're talking about?

10-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Check with ramelectronics.net or cablestogo.com

10-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the replies... I've been doing some thinking, and I think a speaker selector would do the job better than a simple splitter.

Could I take a normal TV-input selector and put my stereo's output into the TV-input selector's output, and then connect speakers to the selector's input jacks?

10-25-2006, 09:16 PM
With a powerful amplifier, speakers can draw many amps. Converting the RCA to some kind of more traditional speaker termination i.e. bannanas or pin jacks and then using a speaker selector switch makes more sense than switching with an input slector (RCA jacks) designed for milliamps.

Here is a Radio Shack two way that uses screw terminals:

There are of course many other brands.

10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Hmm... that looks good. I think I'll get one of those and convert the RCA jacks to tinned wire.