Testing Times [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Testing Times

Bernd
10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi AR Friends,

I thought I would post an update on a couple of very heavy weeks at home.:(

First I found my father in law on the floor of his apartment. He had a stroke. Into Hospital and the news is that he will have to be looked after for now. So he came home to us last Wednesday.
Which meant that my ground floor listening room (which I just finished last August) is now the infirmary. My new room is the spare guest room on the first floor. Slightly smaller, but not by much. The problem is that it has a suspended floor. So not only had I to re-decorate two rooms, move gear, but had to strengthen the joists from preventing them to vibrate and turn the room into a huge sub. I think I managed that.
Then our PC just blew up. Sparks etc. Pretty freaky. So we ordered the model which of course was out of stock and had to wait 10 days to have it installed.
And to top it all we lost one of our young dogs.
So all in all a pretty crappy 2 weeks.
Thanks to bobsticks for holding my hand during this testing time and for being a pal.
Hope everybody else had a decent two weeks.
It's good to be back.

Peace and have a great weekend

Bernd:16:

basite
10-21-2006, 01:45 AM
sh*t man, i feel with you...
those were bad weeks indeed, hope the following ones will be better...

Greetz, and good luck,
Basite

JohnMichael
10-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Bernd, I did not know you were having such tough times. Your father-in-law is lucky his daughter married a kind man. Sounds like you are putting his needs before your own and that is what I would have expected from what I know of you. I am also sorry about the loss of one of your pups. In the picture you posted they are so cute. I wish I could lend a hand but I will keep you and family and pups in my thoughts and prayers. If I can do anything please let me know.

KaiWinters
10-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Wow rough period but you have survived, as did your f..i..l.., and are stronger for the experience.
Glad you and your family made it through ok.
Just think a whole 'nother room to play with and maybe an extra piece of equiptment as a salve to your recent difficulties.
Always look for the sunlight through the dark clouds.

tin ear
10-21-2006, 07:38 AM
You're a good man, Bernd. Sorry you are having such a rough time.

-Jon

Bernd
10-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Thank you for the kind words.
Yes, my glass is always half full never (maybe sometimes) half empty.
New piece of equipment----now there is a thought.

Have a great weekend guys.

Peace

basite
10-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Have a great weekend guys.

Peace

thnx, you too

Greetings,
Basite.

cam
10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I really don't know what to say. But I do know that your wife will be leaning on you from now on. Both you and your wife lost a computer and some dogs, but she almost lost her Dad. In fact, she has probably lost her Dad as she new him. I really feel for you guys, I almost lost my Dad this year and it was hell. Take care. They say things come in three's so lets hope the rough times are over.

Bernd
10-22-2006, 12:38 AM
They say things come in three's so lets hope the rough times are over.

Thanks. I drink to that.

Peace

bobsticks
10-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey All,

Inkeeping with Bernd's general level of decency he has omitted a part of the story. Several months ago my Grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimers, a diagnosis that was late in coming due to her and my Grandfather's attempts to hide it. Bernd has lent a kind ear through the months of the inevitable. So, any contribution on my part was one guy commiserating with another over the trials and tribulations of what happens when life's challenges jump out at loved ones. You see, that's Big Daddy B's style, one based on humility and kindness...

Bernd, yer a class act, don't go changing. Now that the dust has settled, it's good to hear that, with our canine brothers and folks cared for, tunes are spinning and pilsners are flowing again. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers to one all

jrhymeammo
10-22-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Bernd, but nice to see around here. I wouldnt worry about your dog. Good dogs will always find great homes.

Regards,

topspeed
10-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Bernd. Music is good for soul so keep 'em spinning.

ts

Bernd
10-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks topspeed.
Yes music and Pilsner Urquell is certainly good for the soul.
Odd thing is though. Seeing a very active 82 year old man to become helpless makes you count your blessings. He was an Officer in the RAF and always viewed me with suspicion (me being from Berlin), but it is wonderful that in a small way to say thanks to him for giving up so much in his youth to defeat the Nazis.Talk about Karma.
Anyway the doctors are pretty hopeful and we will just have to wait and see.
And jrhymeammo unless there is someone living 2 feet under ground at the bottom of my garden I know where the "lost" dog is.
And the new PC is bloody marvelous. Much to clever for me.:confused5:

Have great week guys and enjoy the music.

Peace

basite
10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Much to clever for me.:confused5:

Peace

pc's aren't clever, they are stupid, that's what can make them confusing, and thus looking clever :cornut: , if you have any questions about pc's making your life miserable, let me know, I know quite alot about them...

anyways, you have a great week too, and also enjoy the music,
i'm sure i'll be enjoying it...

Greetings,
Basite

Resident Loser
10-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks topspeed.
Yes music and Pilsner Urquell is certainly good for the soul.
Odd thing is though. Seeing a very active 82 year old man to become helpless makes you count your blessings. He was an Ofiicer in the RAF and always viewed me with suspicion (me being from Berlin), but it is wonderful that in a small way to say thanks to him for giving up so much in his youth to defeat the Nazis.Talk about Karma.
Anyway the doctors are pretty hopeful and we will just have to wait and see.
And jrhymeammo unless there is someone living 2 feet under ground at the bottom of my garden I know where the "lost" dog is.
And the new PC is bloody marvelous. Much to clever for me.:confused5:

Peace

...a full recovery for your father-in-law...my prayers are with him...

I know this will sound strange, but losing a dog is just about the worst thing that can happen, particularly when you have to make the ultimate decision...They depend on you for everything, even more so than a child IMO...while they can communicate, they really have no way to tell you what's up, so after 15 yrs. or so of nurturing and caring, when you read the signs and the vet suggests it's time...

All of the animals we have shared our home with have lived to a ripe old age...one developed epilepsy, lived with it on medication for a few years, his episodes became fewer and less intense as time went on...One day he just didn't wake up after a grand mal seizure...The other boy, my pal, had to be put down due to complications of congestive heart failure...the hardest decision my wife and I ever made...They slow down and get older, and you realize there's never enough time, but you rationalize...I suspect losing a young dog has it's own set of baggage to contend with...

jimHJJ(...only a dog?...hardly...)

basite
10-23-2006, 11:05 AM
in respect of your dog that passed away, i'm now playing this cd...
the cover did alot.

JoeE SP9
10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Bernd, sorry about your temporary down turn. Just hide in your new room with a couple of Pilsner Urquell's for a couple of hours. It won't change anything but you may not care as much for a short while. :smile5:

Bernd
10-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks Guys.
Never quite appreciated how important time out is. Those private musical times are sure helping in recharging the spirit.
As for the dog. Somehow it is different when loosing an older dog, good life, etc. But this one was very young and had developed a protein allergy. Never had that in our kennel. We have between 8 and 12 dogs at any one time here, but when one goes it's still tough.Life goes on, and we expecting a litter around Nov.4th. And x-mas is not too far.
So lots to look forward too.
Have a good one and stay safe.

Peace