Component Video Splitter? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component Video Splitter?

N. Abstentia
10-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Does anyone use a splitter to send component video to two different sources? If so, what do you use? Any quality loss?

Anybody have any exprience with this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MatrixEE-AV6X3-Component-Audio-Video-RCA-Splitter-Box_W0QQitemZ260042295494QQihZ016QQcategoryZ64631Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen some A/V receivers with dual component outputs, do you think they just basically have one of these cheaper $20 deals built in?

I guess what I'm looking for is....I want to have component sent to two sources with zero quality loss and I'd like to do it for as cheap as possible (I like that $20 unit!). If it matters, the two displays will not be used at the same time. One is a TV and one is a projector.

Smokey
10-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Splitters might work for audio, but for video they will not work as they change the impedance matching capability of input/output.

I just look at schematic for this device...

http://matrixeecom.siteprotect.net/audio_and_video_component.html

......and as you can see, this device just split the signal between two. So as result, not only one will get 75 ohm mismatch between video inputs and outputs, but also signal degradation due to attenuation.

The best solution (and cheapest) would be to find a splitter that can switch (either manually or electrically) between video inputs and outputs.

PeruvianSkies
10-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I have used an S-Video splitter before, but it wasn't that reliable and sometimes that audio splitters over time seem a little quarky, so I would be hesitant to split anything either video or audio.

edtyct
10-21-2006, 05:06 AM
N Ab,

I know you don't want to hear this, but what you probably need is a distribution amplifier for component video. Cables to Go has a 1X4 (I just checked) for $160.00, and I know that Gefen makes a 1X3 for a few dollars more. Maybe you can find a 1X2 for less, or one of the above models. The embedded amp prevents the kind of signal loss that video splitting usually entails, and should allow both targets to play at once.

PeruvianSkies
10-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I would second that idea about a dist. amplifier for sure...I use them at work for splitting signal to multiple projectors and it works much better without any signal loss or hiccups.

N. Abstentia
10-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys, I figured a dist. amp was the way to go. But all of this splitting is mainly because my Xbox Classic..which I use as a music server..does not have dual video outputs. I have to turn on the projector, darken the room, wait for the lamp to warm up, waste that lamp time..all just to be able to turn on the Xbox and start Media Center.

So instead of spending $150 on a dist. amp I'll use this opportunity to get an Xbox 360 which DOES have dual outputs..component for the projector and composite for the TV :)