Sarah Brightman SACD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Brightman SACD

PeruvianSkies
10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.cdjungle.com/cdjungle/images/7/724355740229.jpg

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/740/740392.jpg

Recently acquired these little gems. Had to import them since they are unavailable in SACD format in the US. These are two very key SACD titles for this particular style/genre. This has a great balance of both delicate and strong vocal range along with great little nuances with the sound mix and a throughful surround mix to really help the ambiance. Nothing fancy with the mixing, more natural in nature, which works best for classical pieces like this, especially when the material is more straightforward. Both are outstanding as fans of Brightman already know...this might turn more people on to her.

bobsticks
10-21-2006, 05:31 AM
If you don't mind, what was your source for Time to Say Goodbye? I would love to do a comparison between the redbook, which I already own, and the SACD.

PeruvianSkies
10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
A place called HK Records, which stands for Hong Kong, which is where they release alot of SACD's and HDCD's that are not issued in the U.S. They are all over eBay and may even have a home site. I did an A/B comparison with a few tracks from DIVA, which has few songs that are also on TIME TO SAY GOODBYE and there were some interesting results. The two tracks that I compared were the title track TIME TO SAY GOODBYE and WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER.

In some respects I almost prefer these songs in stereo, which I think the DSD stereo outperforms the CD in many definition levels, although that DIVA CD sounds pretty fantastic, not sure if it is better or worse than the redbook of TIME TO SAY GOODBYE, but all 3 would make for a good larger comparison.

The biggest difference that I noticed is a more expansive sound on the SACD, which makes the recording feel more like a huge hall and is quite fitting. Borcelli's voice sounds more natural and dyanamic, whereas the CD feels a bit constrained. I also thought that the soundstage was deeper with the percussion pieces feeling farther back and allowing the vocals to cut through in a more stage-like feel, which once again is fitting. There are other little nuances, but both have a different 'feel' altogether. I would say that the Redbook CD sounds more like a strong remastered studio CD, while the SACD sounds more like a live concert hall with more depth and life.

bobsticks
10-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Cool. Good deal on the hook-up and the mini-review.

My curiosity is now piqued and I'll have to get a copy for comparison purposes. I am especially interested given your comments regarding Bocelli's voice, given that he is the only "oprea" singer I am aware of that insists upon using a mic.(natural?)

Thanks for your time.

PeruvianSkies
10-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, there are some interesting differences as I already mentioned, which I am noticing with alot of SACD's when comparing them to the CD's. I wasn't that impressed with the SACD's for Eric Clapton or the Derek & the Dominoes because they sounded too hollow in nature, but the Elton John's were mixed incredibly well!!! It's a shame that more SACD's of key recordings are not available because I think it would certainly garner more appreciation for the music and the format.

bobsticks
10-23-2006, 05:16 PM
It's a shame that more SACD's of key recordings are not available because I think it would certainly garner more appreciation for the music and the format.

I agree completely.

PeruvianSkies
10-23-2006, 10:00 PM
I am glad we are on the same page...let's try to get more people onto the same page as well, or at least in the same chapter.