Ghost Rider [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Rider

Dusty Chalk
10-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Nicolas Cage can do no wrong (that I've seen [yet]), but I actually visibly and audibly flinched when I saw that Mark Steven Johnson was directing it (the "genius" behind Daredevil and Elektra).

Still, I'll see it when it comes out. Who's with me? Who's agin me?

PeruvianSkies
10-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, Cage has his moments too, I never really liked him until he started doing some better roles, my favorites being:

THE WEATHER MAN
ADAPTATION
MATCHSTICK MEN
WINDTALKERS
8MM
BRINGING OUT THE DEAD
SNAKE EYES
LEAVING LAS VEGAS
THE ROCK
FACE/OFF
WILD AT HEART

Then the not so good....

NATIONAL TREASURE
WICKER MAN (remake)
LORD OF WAR
WORLD TRADE CENTER
CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN
CITY OF ANGELS
CON AIR
THE FAMILY MAN
GONE IN 60 SECONDS
TRAPPED IN PARADISE
IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU
GUARDING TESS
HONEYMOON IN VEGAS

kexodusc
10-20-2006, 04:01 AM
Nic Cage is on a tear. Lord of War was great! Con-Air was a great popcorn muncher back in the day, but yeah, other than that I think Peruvian Skies (by the way PS, is that nickname a Dream Theater reference by chance?) listed most of the stinkers. I'd throw Snake Eyes in there too, but there's a few more I haven's seen yet.

All that being said, the man's been on a roll lately and the freakin' previews for Ghost Rider got me hooked. So yeah, I'm "with ya" dude.

Uhhh, Dusty. Buddy..."the "genius" behind Daredevil and Elektra"???. LOL
As difficult for me as it was to accept Affleck as an ass kicking super hero, I liked Daredevil, decent rental, dunno about genius... ...but dude, we talking about the same Elektra flick here?

ForeverAutumn
10-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Let's not forget Raising Arizona on the list of great Nicolas Cage movies.

There was a time when Nicolas Cage could do no wrong in my eyes. Then he won an Oscar (well deserved) and went on his superhero binge with Con-Air and The Rock. After that he became hit and miss for me. I no longer go to see a movie just because he's in it. I think that the last one that I saw was Matchstick Men, which was great.

There's not doubt that he's capable of greatness, but he's picked some real clunker roles too.

Although, I have to admit that I really like It Could Happen To You. Not that his acting is notable in that, I just like the story...a great rainy Sunday afternoon movie kind of story.

Worf101
10-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Damn, Marvel is really scrapin' the bottom of the Barrell with this one. The Ghost Rider is a concept so lame as to defy words. At least when I was readin' books he was an afterthought right down there with "Brother Voodoo". Unless someone like Frank Miller has done a total makeover of this character I don't know what in God's name we're gonna see. How much crack was he smokin' when they talked him into this one???

Da Worfster

PS
Stan "You RipOff Artist" Lee here's some movie's we'd LOVE to see!
"The Silver Surfer"
"Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." Not that turd with David Hasselhoff.
"Iron Man" - in a real Heavy Metal Stylee
"Rasta Man" - In a dreadlock Stylee...

Kam
10-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Damn, Marvel is really scrapin' the bottom of the Barrell with this one. The Ghost Rider is a concept so lame as to defy words. At least when I was readin' books he was an afterthought right down there with "Brother Voodoo". Unless someone like Frank Miller has done a total makeover of this character I don't know what in God's name we're gonna see. How much crack was he smokin' when they talked him into this one???

Da Worfster

PS
Stan "You RipOff Artist" Lee here's some movie's we'd LOVE to see!
"The Silver Surfer"
"Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." Not that turd with David Hasselhoff.
"Iron Man" - in a real Heavy Metal Stylee
"Rasta Man" - In a dreadlock Stylee...

you ask... it shall happen...

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) - Doug Jones is gonna play the Surfer (he's the guy who played the aqua dude in Hellboy).

Iron Man (2008) - directed by Jon Favreau with Robery Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark.

Nick Fury (2008) - in development. (currently might be written by the dude who wrote Hollow Man)

Also coming soon from comic bookdom:
The Marvel World:
The Avengers
Thor
Ant-Man
Iron Fist

The DC World:
Watchmen
Flash
Wonder Woman
The Dark Knight
Superman Returns Sequel (big maybe)

kexodusc
10-20-2006, 09:13 AM

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) - Doug Jones is gonna play the Surfer (he's the guy who played the aqua dude in Hellboy).

Iron Man (2008) - directed by Jon Favreau with Robery Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark.

Nick Fury (2008) - in development. (currently might be written by the dude who wrote Hollow Man)

The Marvel World:
The Avengers
Thor
Ant-Man
Iron Fist

The DC World:
Watchmen
Flash
Wonder Woman
The Dark Knight

Thor? WTF?
I don't even want to speculate on Ant-Man.

The Silver Surfer legacy should not have to be humiliated by enduring 90 minutes of a Fantasic Four...movie.

Flash might be cool. Iron Man had better be cool.

So that leaves the Green Lantern, Shazam, Aquaman, and Justice League (all below Ant-Man apparently) at the bottom of the depth chart.

kexodusc
10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
What about Captain America? That one could actually be good....

topspeed
10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
What about Captain America? That one could actually be good....
Never happen.

All the liberal weenies would boycott it proclaiming it's another example of Big Bad America trying to force its views on another helpless society. :rolleyes:

The Silver Surfer was one of my faves when I was growing up. How can you not like a guy that has the power of the universe at his disposal? That said, Robert Downey Jr as Ironman?!?:skep:

topspeed
10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
BTW, I found the Wonder Woman trailer. Looks great.

http://www.shadoehaze.com/photo-galleries/misc2/Wonder%20Woman.jpg

kexodusc
10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Never happen.

All the liberal weenies would boycott it proclaiming it's another example of Big Bad America trying to force its views on another helpless society. :rolleyes:

What the ??? That's never stopped anyone before from slipping some good ol' Americana into a Hollywood script - my personal favorite was Harrison Ford in Air Force One, disarming the bomb with wire cutters- "Red, White, and Blue, don't fail me now"...We eat this crap up every year. Liberal weenies too.

Though I do worry about Captain America being "modernized"; now depicted as a middle-class, mixed-heritage, non-christian, gay woman, sympathizing with the misunderstood Taliban soldiers and joining the dairy farmers in overthrowing the evil WTO Axis...

Meh, throw Scarlett Johansson in some form fitting star-spangled uni for 90 minutes and I'm good....

Dusty Chalk
10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Uhhh, Dusty. Buddy..."the "genius" behind Daredevil and Elektra"???. LOL
As difficult for me as it was to accept Affleck as an ass kicking super hero, I liked Daredevil, decent rental, dunno about genius... ...but dude, we talking about the same Elektra flick here?That's why I had genius in quotes. I was being sarcastic.

And PS -- I saw none of those movies except Con-Air, which I enjoyed.

Worf101
10-23-2006, 04:06 AM

The Marvel World:
The Avengers
Thor
Ant-Man
Iron Fist

The DC World:
Watchmen
Flash
Wonder Woman
The Dark Knight

I hate to say this, as a charter member of MMM (The Merry Marvel Marching Society), but I like the D.C. list a WHOLE lot better than the Marvel list.

"Watchmen", I'd say almost undoable. Too large a project, to grand a scope to be realized. the "Citizen Kane" of superhero movies. It would take so much time to get all the characters back storied that you'd need a Jackson like trilogy to do it right.

"Wonder Woman", no brainer... just let me see her nekid.

"The Dark Knight" - Interesting concept to have a movie series showing Batman at the beginning of his carreer at "Batman Begins" and at the end of his career with "The Dark Knight Returns". Unless this is just a sequel of "Batman Begins" if so.... nevermind.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
10-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Y'alls wanna talk about a "doable script", how about Jon Sable:Freelance?

Dusty Chalk
10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Have you all seen Mirrormask? It just seems like after seeing that movie, anything should be doable.

ForeverAutumn
10-23-2006, 06:07 PM
BTW, I found the Wonder Woman trailer. Looks great.

http://www.shadoehaze.com/photo-galleries/misc2/Wonder%20Woman.jpg

Hey! Where'd you get that picture of my Halloween costume?! :eek:

Kam
10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I hate to say this, as a charter member of MMM (The Merry Marvel Marching Society), but I like the D.C. list a WHOLE lot better than the Marvel list.

"Watchmen", I'd say almost undoable. Too large a project, to grand a scope to be realized. the "Citizen Kane" of superhero movies. It would take so much time to get all the characters back storied that you'd need a Jackson like trilogy to do it right.

"Wonder Woman", no brainer... just let me see her nekid.

"The Dark Knight" - Interesting concept to have a movie series showing Batman at the beginning of his carreer at "Batman Begins" and at the end of his career with "The Dark Knight Returns". Unless this is just a sequel of "Batman Begins" if so.... nevermind.

Da Worfster

CRAP! i typed up a whole reply to this and got the 'server is too busy error' and lost the message ugh!
ok, in brief:

wonderwoman - HUGE potential as it will be written/directed by joss whedon (of firefly/serenity fame). Woohoo!

The dark knight = batman2, they just wanted to stay away from the numerical numbers and keep it more like bond and have an ongoing series they can build on and not worry about "batman #5" but each movie is its stand alone piece as well as part of the whole. Joker will be heath ledger, snap!

watchmen - in developmental hell. terry gilliam was the best name attached to it who dropped out. darren aranofsky was attached next but he dropped out too. now its the dude who did the dawn of the dead remake and just finished the 300 which i am drooling over, so who knows, maybe he can pull it off visually at least, but storywise.... i dunno.. might be one of those that's better left nevermade.

PeruvianSkies
10-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, PERUVIAN SKIES is a DT reference, back when they were making incredible albums like Images and Words, but their last 3 albums have been....less than impressive to me. I hope they regain their momentum and maybe finally get rid of their weakest link....LABRIE!

kexodusc
10-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Yes, PERUVIAN SKIES is a DT reference, back when they were making incredible albums like Images and Words, but their last 3 albums have been....less than impressive to me. I hope they regain their momentum and maybe finally get rid of their weakest link....LABRIE!

Very cool. I'm a huge fan, I've seen them several times. I've observed that every fan has a preference for a different "era" of DT. I for one think the last 2 albums were terrific behind only SFAM, with Falling to Infinity and Awake being the weak links (but both with some killer material too), but to each their own. Octavarium was really LaBrie's coming out party. I think he's one of my favorite distinguishing features of the band, but I understand and respect a ton of DT fans are luke-warm to him. One thing with this group, evern their crap is better than a lot of other would be rock acts today.

What else you into for music? Arena? Symphony X? Porcupine Tree? IQ?
(should move this to Rave Recs somewhere but...mehhh)

PeruvianSkies
10-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Music-wise my style is all over the place. Dream Theater is one of the few bands that I really enjoy along those lines, of course I am still a fan of Rush, YES, Jethro Tull, ELP, Kansas, Alan Parsons Project, and the obvious bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, CSNY, The Rolling Stones, etc etc. I also like a bit of Queensryche, Fates Warning, Savatage, and a few others from the 80's. However, I also am into another wide variety of bands as well....David Bowie, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, Collective Soul, Better than Ezra, Garbage, No Doubt, Depeche Mode, Bjork, Fleetwood Mac, Jewel, Aimee Mann, Boston, Madonna, Queen, Jack Johnson, Sterelab, Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Jimi Hendrix, CCR, The Who, The Beach Boys, Elton John, Eric Clapton, and the list goes on and on...

I am also into more current groups like Keane, The Stills, Paloalto, Elliott, American Analog Set, Jimmy Eat World, Sheila Nicholls, Juliana Theory, Armor for Sleep, Flickerstick, The Shins, Muse, Longwave, and that list goes on and on and on....

Then I am also into movie soundtracks, score, classical, etc. Among some of my favorites would be Hans Zimmer, Jocelyn Pook, Philip Glass, JS Bach, WA Mozart, Debussy, Ravel, Beethoven, Prokofiev, Grieg, Handel, Orff, Tchaikovsky, and many more.

I am also a huge fan of 'oldies' music, which would include anything from the late 50's (Elvis) to the late 60's. Smokey Robinson, Little Richard, The Temptations, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, and that list goes on even further....

I like a fair amount of Jazz, R&B, but am mostly into Dixieland-type of Jazz or Cajun styles, same with Blues...I am more of a Delta blues fan.

Hope that helps answer your question!