Electrojazz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Electrojazz

Demetrio
10-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I am in love for Nils Petter Molvaer music. Can't stop listening do "Khmer" and "American Compilation", and have just ordered another one, "Er".

I have algo got two Erik Truffaz releases, "The Walk of the Giant Turtle" and "Mantis", and just can't stop listening to them (also ordered "Saloua" this week).

Both featuring an awesome mix of jazz à la Miles Davis with electronica.

So, what else am I losing of this great new genre?

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Dusty Chalk
10-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You should try "Tied + Tickled Trio".

I think.

After listening to the clips of NPM, you should also check out some of the Karn/Jansen/Barbieri stuff.

MindGoneHaywire
10-19-2006, 08:49 PM
I wasn't much into either of the Medeski Martin & Wood CDs that I heard within the past few years, but I have their best-of & that works better for me.

Verve & Blue Note have both released remixes of tunes from their catalogs. I dig some of the Verve, but I can't say the same for the Blue Note stuff, unfortunately.

Then there are a few spare tracks that are jazz/electronica hybrids that I dig, but some might be trip-hop, others might be considered downtempo...so now I'm with Brad's crack about no genres. Take that, Troy.

Dan The Automator is a guy who usually comes through. His re-workings of Charlie Parker songs on the Parker Remix Project were the only ones I liked on the whole album.

This is a genre where I totally dig a few spare tracks here or there, but the rest is boring or worse, and it can be tough picking out the gems. It's worth it, though.

nobody
10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I agree with Dusty about Tied + Tickled Trio being a good place to go for an interesting jazz/electronica mixture.

I'd also add for something on the more mellow/loungy side of things Koop's Waltz for Koop album is very good as an example of using electronics to make a jazz record with a laid back, traditional vibe.