IMAX:Blue Planet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : IMAX:Blue Planet

L.J.
10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
This was suggested by Wooch as a must have awhile back and I finally got around to picking it up. I gotta say this was a nice buy at $5 and I'd recommend it as well.

First off this was a very interesting and educational film to sit down and watch with the family. I felt very small after watching this film.

Video quality was really good and some of the scenes showing earth from space were simply breathtaking.

Very nice use of the surround speakers all the way through. The sound was very balanced and mixed well. Very smooth transition from front to back and so on. Dialogue from the center channel was very clear as well. The launch, hurricane and earthquake scenes really stood out and had my system going.

Anyways, Wooch thanks for the tip. I'm gonna add some more IMAX films to my collection now. Not bad for $5

PeruvianSkies
10-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Too bad the sound wasn't in DTS like some of the other Imax DVD's out there that are just phenominal like WILD CALIFORNIA or SUPER SPEEDWAY.

Woochifer
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
This was suggested by Wooch as a must have awhile back and I finally got around to picking it up. I gotta say this was a nice buy at $5 and I'd recommend it as well.

First off this was a very interesting and educational film to sit down and watch with the family. I felt very small after watching this film.

Video quality was really good and some of the scenes showing earth from space were simply breathtaking.

Very nice use of the surround speakers all the way through. The sound was very balanced and mixed well. Very smooth transition from front to back and so on. Dialogue from the center channel was very clear as well. The launch, hurricane and earthquake scenes really stood out and had my system going.

Anyways, Wooch thanks for the tip. I'm gonna add some more IMAX films to my collection now. Not bad for $5

Yer welcome L.J., glad that you and the family enjoyed it!

If you feel small watching the DVD at home, imagine the nano shrink sensation from watching this film on an actual IMAX screen! I saw it 15 years ago and it was one of the more awe-inspiring times I've ever had at a movie. The clarity of the space imagery is absolutely astounding on the big screen, and especially resonates when showing the magnitude of the burning rain forests from space. As an educational documentary, this one's quite good. $5 for an IMAX DVD is quite a bargain, and they are often sold in multidisc bundles.

The sound mix was done by Ben Burtt, who was one of the primary sound designers at Lucasfilm and created most of the sound effects for the Star Wars series. This soundtrack is very well done all the way around. Terrence was the one who pointed me towards the IMAX DVDs and the ones I've sampled all translate very well to home theater. They generally have very cohesive surround encirclement with precisely placed imaging and deep but not overdone bass. Blue Planet and The Dream Is Alive (another excellent documentary filmed on the space shuttle) are both especially impressive since those soundtracks were done in 1990 and 1985, respectively.

As mentioned before, IMAX movie soundtracks can be mixed with more deliberately directional surround effects because all of the IMAX theaters are built to identical proportions and use speaker clusters mounted in the corners. This corner alignment on the surrounds makes them more similar to a 5.1 home theater speaker alignment than the surround arrays along the side and backwalls of more conventional movie theaters. This makes the IMAX soundtracks more home theater "ready" because they don't require repurposing the original theatrical soundtrack to create those immersive directional surround effects.

GMichael
10-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Do you need any special equipment to watch IMAX DVD's? Are those special glasses needed?

L.J.
10-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Do you need any special equipment to watch IMAX DVD's?

Yeah, I'd say a couple of ice cold beers and fav snack :3:

Smokey
10-19-2006, 12:31 PM

That is a good one L.J. http://www.ethanwiner.com/Smileys/ROFLMAO.gif

Where did you buy the DVD for $5 from?

GMichael
10-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Those I got.

The last time I went to am IMAX theator I had to wear special glasses. I don't need those?

L.J.
10-19-2006, 12:55 PM
That is a good one L.J. http://www.ethanwiner.com/Smileys/ROFLMAO.gif

Where did you buy the DVD for $5 from?

I got it on sale at Columbia House maybe about a month ago for $4.98 or something like that, free shipping on the entire order also. It's back up to $14.95 now :nonod:

DDD (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=WBD008018) has it for $8.63, free shipping. Better deals may be out there.

PeruvianSkies
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
IMAX: AMAZING CAVES is also another good title to check out...very dizzying camera work that makes you feel like you are there inside the various caves.

L.J.
10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Those I got.

The last time I went to am IMAX theator I had to wear special glasses. I don't need those?

Was it 3D?

GMichael
10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Was it 3D?

Sure was. Sh.t was floating around the room. looked like I could reach out and tough it. Are you saying that not all IMAX are 3D? Just playing catch-up here.

L.J.
10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
IMAX: AMAZING CAVES is also another good title to check out...very dizzying camera work that makes you feel like you are there inside the various caves.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll give that and the other mentioned titles a try. It takes awhile but I usually sniff out a good deal or two.

L.J.
10-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Sure was. Sh.t was floating around the room. looked like I could reach out and tough it. Are you saying that not all IMAX are 3D? Just playing catch-up here.

The ones I've been looking at to buy are 2D. There are alot of 3D ones out there though.

Smokey
10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
DDD (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=WBD008018) has it for $8.63, free shipping. Better deals may be out there.

Thanks for info. That web site also seem to have good prices on [70s&80s] TV sitcom shows. They are practically giving them away for $13. Also will look for it in WalMart's Bargain Bin :D

And PLEASE, would somebody keep those beers and snacks away from GMichael. He already made a mess on the floor.....LOL :ciappa:

GMichael
10-19-2006, 01:37 PM
PLEASE, would somebody keep those beers and snacks away from GMichael. He already made a mess on the floor.....LOL :ciappa:

Hey now. I resemble those remarks.

L.J.
10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for info. That web site also seem to have good prices on [70s&80s] TV sitcom shows. They are practically giving them away for $13. Also will look for it in WalMart's Bargain Bin :D

And PLEASE, would somebody keep those beers and snacks away from GMichael. He already made a mess on the floor.....LOL :ciappa:

That site has good sales all the time. I believe they're gonna have a 20% off all regular priced DVDs soon ( mid November). I'll give you heads up.

I stay away from the Walmart bins and do most of my shopping online for about those same prices.