Kenwood KD-770D any good at all? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KD-770D any good at all?

Jim Clark
10-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Still haven't made much progress on the CS 5000 as I'm still waiting on the cart. That Super Saver shipping through Amazon sounds great untill you realize you could have walked over the DC and picked it up in half the time you've been waiting for the mail, but I digress...

So I went into a part of Kansas City, Kansas that's littered with thrift stores hoping to find some vinyl on the cheap. No go but I saw this montrous, and quite attractive KD-770D turntable for 47.00. Now I need another TT like I need another xxx xxxx, but if it's a great find I'll go back and grab it. It comes with a cartridge but I didn't ask what it was since I'm trying to show some restraint here. Cosmetically it's pretty fine and darned shiny save for a small chip out of the front of the plinth. Should be easy enough to touch up.

There's virtually no information out on the web so I'll have to rely on the information in your head.

Regards,
jc

SlumpBuster
10-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Here's what I found regarding this table. I also saw a couple other blurbs that suggest it is mid 80s vintage.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/11653-kenwood_kd770d_direct_drive_turntable

But, you sound reluctant, so you also may just want to leave well enough alone. I don't know how deep into vinyl you are, but to me the personality trait that keeps vinyl from exploding into a full fledged addiction is restraint. Since, vinyl is about the hunt, your first inclination when finding something cool is to snap it up. But, if you don't, no worries, chances are there is something better around the corner.

For example, my usual record shop has a back room full of vintage gear. Lots of beautiful tables that you don't see often, but I don't buy them. You can only use one turntable at a time after all. Just this weekend restraint got me the new Justin Timberlake record on double disk vinyl for $7.00 used after bypassing the new shrink wrapped one on the wall for $25.00. Who would have guessed that the copy the store opened up and played would have been waiting in the used bin for me? :D

Finally, to answer your question after a long winded aside. :D While I don't specifically know about that table, for $47 it looks like a very good find. Lots of those tables from the 80's a very choice and would be perfectly at home with a $300 Goldring cart slapped on them.

dean_martin
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Assuming space, $$$, etc. are not issues, I say go for it. It would make a nice back-up table or one to try out various cheap carts like the one below:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC06&Category_Code=A3

If you don't want to spend $70, then try the AT95E.

Also, you can occasionally find new old stock carts on the cheap. I found an nos Parasound cart listed by edsaunders.com on Ebay for cheap that held me over until I could decide on a high output moving coil cart. I'm sure it was made by someone else for Parasound, but I've yet to figure out who made it.

I've thought about getting one of those heavy Kenwoods (the ones with the faux granite base) as a project table for experimenting with different tonearms. Of course my technical limitations have been prohibitive. The arm on that 770 looks substantial though.

jrhymeammo
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Flutter weniger als 0,02% (WRMS), Rumble unter -80 dB. Gewich 12 KG

I'm still not sure on how companies measure specs, but to get that kinda figures you gotta spend more than a grand(except Technic SLs). I say go for it.

Jim Clark
10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm taking some speaker cables and a record up to make sure the thing works. If it does, I'm going to grab it tomorrow.

Thanks,
jc

Jim Clark
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Well, it's sitting in the bedroom. Some kind of B&O cartridge attached. Going to need to clean it up a bit before I take it out for a spin. If it's some kind of sleeping giant I'll be sure to follow up!

jc

jrhymeammo
10-20-2006, 04:41 PM
They are going for around 3-400 euros. If price reflects on its performance, Great score there JC!!!
Not that I need anything, but you are giving me that itch to go thriftin again.

Please let us know your vinyl experience with that new toy once you get settled.

-JRA